Author Topic: Normal puppy, Cockerdile or genuine aggression?  (Read 5444 times)

Offline bmthmark

Re: Normal puppy, Cockerdile or genuine aggression?
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2018, 03:34:18 PM »
They DO grow out of it but at times the process seems to take forever.

Barnaby's now 13 months old and while he stopped play biting overnight when he turned 6 months old,  he continues to gently bite my forearm at times as a sign of affection,  or alternatively to tell me that he's hungry. I've seen other Cockers that do this.  He only does it to me and I'm not unhappy about it as he never hurts me,  so we've no plan to train it out of him.

He is very much in control of his bite inhibition now.  Last weekend while we were having a game of tug he accidentally bit my hand... there was no blood drawn but it hurt somewhat.  He was mortified,  stopped playing immediately and was kind of ashamed of himself for an hour afterwards... and I'd not chastised him for it at all.

Digger: We ( and Barnaby) will be back at our home on the NE Essex coast (Holland on Sea) for two weeks starting Sun 14th. Jan.  If you fancy a walk on the beach with the dogs please drop us a PM. (BTW  Barnaby's fine with other dogs,  both boys and girls,  so there should be no interaction problems from his part)

ATB   Jon  Sarka and the brown wirling dervish known as Barnaby

My 14 month old is exactly the same, he play bites me and knows how hard he can do it until it hurts. Luckily he only does this with me and if he does it too hard I say to him 'Gentle' and he then proceeds to lick the area, I think its his way of saying sorry.
I'm also never unhappy with him as its clear that he just likes to play with me. I think he thinks of me as a play mate  :005:

Offline David Morgan

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2018, 03:44:53 PM »
Hello TheAdventuresofBarnaby

our 9 month old, Mason, stopped biting, as you say, at about 6 months, but a month or so later started mouthing affectionately. He doesn't come close to hurting, just gently holds you fingers with his teeth. We hadn't thought to discourage him, it's quite nice, but something I read on CoL a few days ago made me think that he might hurt somebody and so we've started training him to not bite. It's a shame - he has so few ways of communicating - but just in case...

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2018, 04:07:23 PM »
Henry will gently mouth on me and other members of the immediate household when having a cuddle but has never, ever done it to anyone else when having a cuddle (and yes, he will have a cuddle with pretty much anyone) - that includes long term houseguests and regular visitors. We don’t encourage it - if he starts having a ‘nibble’ we tell him to go get a toy, whereupon cuddling resumes. But I’m fairly confident he would never do it to anyone outside the inner circle of his humans.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline David Morgan

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2018, 04:33:02 PM »
LondonGirl, that's interesting. Our older pair have never mouthed - cuddled yes, but no play-biting, so we weren't sure where it could lead. Maybe we are wrong to discourage Mason.

Offline TheAdventuresofBarnaby

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2018, 04:52:29 PM »
Yes, same as David and London girl describe,  Barnaby's mouthing is affectionate.  Its not play biting.

The bite I received as described was entirely due to bad timing on my part,  but Barnaby decided it was his fault.

Our only concern is not about him hurting someone,  only that it could be scary for non-dog owners. ( although its very unlikely that he'll adopt the mouthing behaviour with anyone he doesn't know really well)

Offline Digger

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2018, 06:43:54 PM »
Oh you lovely people. I just told my husband that I now know where all the nice people hang out..they are on COL!! We always say that we are very suspicious of people who say they don't like animals...

LEO: You are my new rock- thank you and hope your boy has settled back down- what a monkey :005:

Mudmagnet: Woodbridge is a bit of a hike from where we are however it would be nice so like you say, perhaps in the spring we could tie it in with something else like you do and hook up for a riverside stroll. :D

Theadventuresof Barnaby: Thankyou. It's not too out of the way for us, and we all like a bit of beach! I am useless with tech but I'll try and get a message to you to see if we could arrange something.  :D

Offline lucybennett

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2018, 08:48:45 PM »
So sympathetic and recognise so many things from my experience with Bailey now 3. A couple of things to add. Re the crate when you go out. I got advice on here to dispense with leaving him in the crate as I returned to a complete stressed dog. The moment I didn’t leave him in the crate- just left him distracted by a filled kong- he was completely fine home alone. Re leaving him to go upstairs or to another room, as he gets older and more secure that you’ll come back he will grow out of this I believe. Mine did the same. Re bonding- I get it- this is not what you expected or thought you were signing up for- during puppy times I thought a million times what have I done and struggled so much but it has grown and grown. Re the biting- we have issues of territorial guarding at home and under tables, in corners etc with strangers and fear aggression but also some differences to what you describe. I agree it is hard for a puppy to understand who and what everything is and how it fits together. Bailey barked and growled at whatever he didn’t understand. He went for feet under tables I think not even knowing these strange moving things were attached to a human. It is very scary for a young nervous cocker.  They are all slightly unique. The answer has to be a behaviourist to understand the full dynamics, help you understand triggers and give you all the tools and advice you need. Try and keep going. Get help. Make the most of the good times like off lead walks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took your advice and left him twice in the kitchen today (the crate I had been putting him in is in our TV room). The first time I wasn't out for very long (an hour or so) and my hubbie was working upstairs, however he was quiet as a mouse, and although I know he was sitting behind the kitchen door waiting for me to return (I could see from my puppy cam), he was calm and relaxed.
The second time I was out for 2 hours and again, my hubbie said he didn't hear a peep from him whilst i was out.
So perhaps the crate is a safe haven for bedtime only.
Fabulous suggestion - thank you!

Hi Minky! So glad it worked. Hope all is well and getting a bit easier. Expect good days and bad days!! X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Digger

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2018, 07:34:19 PM »
Hi Minky

We were just wondering how you were getting on with your pup and the biting-I believe ours is the same age (just turned 7 months?).
Ours is better than she was but does still do it. I don't know why, and the older she gets the more I worry that there's something just slightly wrong. She is so wilful and independent. We got a pup instead of a rescue thinking a floppy old spaniel was the safe option.... >:(
Anyway I do hope you are making good progress with yours-Your first post sounded like you were at your wits end!  :o

Offline Minky

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2018, 08:43:17 PM »
Haven’t been on here for a while and wanted to update all you lovely people on our progress.
So Scooby is now 6.5 months and is turning into a gentle, loving and loyal doggie. The nipping has completely stopped (occasional gentle mouthing but nothing I’m concerned about) and he still follows me everywhere (which is quite annoying) and he still doesn’t like being left alone for long (we’ve managed 2.5 hours).
This forum is fabulous. Honestly you lot are so fabulous and supportive. Thank you!
Scooby is definitely a keeper!!

Offline Digger

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2018, 10:54:59 PM »
Awww that is great news! So glad to hear such a transformation from your first post. Well done Scooby - and you guys for sticking with it. He's a lucky boy. :D

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2018, 07:22:51 AM »
Milky, I’m so thrilled to hear this! I hope we helped see you through the challenging times. Give that boy Scooby a cuddle from us!
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2018, 10:20:49 AM »
Brilliant update, am so pleased for you and Scooby!  :banana:  :clapdance: :banana:
Hope you‘ll stick with us and keep us updated on all his adventures!!  :luv:

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2018, 01:41:45 PM »
Wonderful news! So pleased that things are sorting out

Offline pibbo1968

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2018, 11:28:29 AM »
Haven’t been on here for a while and wanted to update all you lovely people on our progress.
So Scooby is now 6.5 months and is turning into a gentle, loving and loyal doggie. The nipping has completely stopped (occasional gentle mouthing but nothing I’m concerned about) and he still follows me everywhere (which is quite annoying) and he still doesn’t like being left alone for long (we’ve managed 2.5 hours).
This forum is fabulous. Honestly you lot are so fabulous and supportive. Thank you!
Scooby is definitely a keeper!!
Glad that it looks like you've turned a corner!
Jura is coming up to 6 months old now and last week his last baby fang dropped out and it was like a switch went off inside him.No more nipping,he only chews his toys and he gently mouths when being fussed/cuddled :shades:
He's a totally different puppy :luv: