Author Topic: The 5 min rule  (Read 1706 times)

Offline pibbo1968

The 5 min rule
« on: December 14, 2017, 04:49:49 PM »
Jura is 15 weeks old on Friday 15th and has bags of energy(obviously) :005: We're trying to keep to the 5mins/month twice a day(plus a little walk around the Estate around 19:00) but he just doesn't seem to tire :o His two main walks are in a Wooded area and currently 50% on/off his lead.When off his lead he'll run around chasing whatever we throw for him,in and out of bushes/undergrowth but often when we get back after 15-20mins he'll go in the back garden and run around for ages!We understand this is to prevent injury/repercussions as he gets older but would 2X30 mins really be too much?
This is our first Dog as a Family but I always had Dogs growing up(Whippets/Labs/Irish Setters etc)and don't recall restricting walks for any of our puppies back then :huh:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: The 5 min rule
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 05:26:32 PM »
Jura is 15 weeks old on Friday 15th and has bags of energy(obviously) :005: We're trying to keep to the 5mins/month twice a day(plus a little walk around the Estate around 19:00) but he just doesn't seem to tire :o His two main walks are in a Wooded area and currently 50% on/off his lead.When off his lead he'll run around chasing whatever we throw for him,in and out of bushes/undergrowth but often when we get back after 15-20mins he'll go in the back garden and run around for ages!We understand this is to prevent injury/repercussions as he gets older but would 2X30 mins really be too much?
This is our first Dog as a Family but I always had Dogs growing up(Whippets/Labs/Irish Setters etc)and don't recall restricting walks for any of our puppies back then :huh:

I don‘t think its necessary to be so precise, to be honest. The five minute rule is just a guide line to avoid them being over exercised too early but its down to common sense really, - I‘d think 2 x 30 minutes is ok (but not 1x 60). More damage is done by throwing balls too much because they stop abruptly which puts too much pressure on joints. They will go on for ever however, so it is sensible to try and avoid them getting physically over tired, instead you could begin with mental stimulation games, sniffing out treats, finding toys, training commands etc. 10 minutes searching for hidden things, treats under cushions etc, will tire them out much more than an hour tearing round the garden and also helps in the bonding process.

Offline pibbo1968

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 06:21:09 PM »
I don‘t think its necessary to be so precise, to be honest. The five minute rule is just a guide line to avoid them being over exercised too early but its down to common sense really, - I‘d think 2 x 30 minutes is ok (but not 1x 60). More damage is done by throwing balls too much because they stop abruptly which puts too much pressure on joints. They will go on for ever however, so it is sensible to try and avoid them getting physically over tired, instead you could begin with mental stimulation games, sniffing out treats, finding toys, training commands etc. 10 minutes searching for hidden things, treats under cushions etc, will tire them out much more than an hour tearing round the garden and also helps in the bonding process.
Thanks that makes a lot of sense!
We've spent a lot of time with him doing mental training and since around 10 weeks old he sits on command,gives paw and my son's even taught him to Hi5 :005: He sits at the kerb and waits to be told "cross"(on his lead of course) and fetches anything that's thrown.He is reluctant however to drop what he fetches so we'll work on that as well as hiding stuff around the house ph34r
I'll take him on a 20-30 min walk in the morning to see how he gets on.I think he'll be fine :shades:
Extremely clever little dogs Cockers :luv:

Offline poptart

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 06:50:44 PM »
Every time I tell my whirling dervish 'Right, your 15 minutes are up,' he just shrugs and says 'So? I can't tell the time. I'm just a dog. Throw the ball again.'

I wish dogs would read the guide books. It would be a big help.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 06:59:40 PM »
Thanks that makes a lot of sense!
We've spent a lot of time with him doing mental training and since around 10 weeks old he sits on command,gives paw and my son's even taught him to Hi5 :005: He sits at the kerb and waits to be told "cross"(on his lead of course) and fetches anything that's thrown.He is reluctant however to drop what he fetches so we'll work on that as well as hiding stuff around the house ph34r
I'll take him on a 20-30 min walk in the morning to see how he gets on.I think he'll be fine :shades:
Extremely clever little dogs Cockers :luv:

I still can‘t get mine ( 2,5 yrs) to drop a ball! He‘ll drop anything else on command, - in the house, but outside with a ball? No chance 😂😂. You sound as if you‘re doing well though, I  think he‘ll be fine too,  ;)

Offline Darwin

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 07:01:27 AM »
Another good one for your son is to teach Juan to count. Well ok only to two, but it keep the kids amused. It's just giving paw, but the left paw in one and the right paw is two.

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 09:03:57 AM »
It sounds like you are doing really well.
I have never been able to tire mine by walking, he will just keep going.

The only way I can tire him is by hiding stuff around the house and getting him to find it. I normally sit him and get him to wait in one room whilst I go and hide the treat or toy.
I then say the word 'Find' and he is off. He loves it and sometimes i hide them in very tricky places to get his nose/mind working :005:

Offline David Morgan

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 10:42:37 AM »
Mason is tired out by playing with his older "brother". He tries to get Molly to play too, but she'll have none of it.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 04:58:40 PM »
If he was mine I'd cut out throwing things for him on walks. The chasing, swerving, turning and jumping in the air when dogs chase balls or anything else can do a lot of damage, especially to a young pup whose growth plates are still open and whose bone density isn't fully developed yet.

Another reason to limit it or stop it is that he may become overstimulated and then not be able to relax when you get home. A bit like taking small children to an adventure playground and hoping they'll be relaxed as soon as they come off the equipment there! It might be the reason why he zooms round the back garden after walks.

Could you try either stopping or limiting the throwing and making sure that his off lead time mainly consists of him having the opportunity to sniff, mooch around and just be a dog? Maybe do some training too, but always end with some just being a dog time to encourage him to relax.

Offline pibbo1968

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 03:54:37 PM »

Could you try either stopping or limiting the throwing and making sure that his off lead time mainly consists of him having the opportunity to sniff, mooch around and just be a dog? Maybe do some training too, but always end with some just being a dog time to encourage him to relax.
I/we usually take his ball etc on one of his walks.I'll drop it from his other as well!He does like a good rummage :shades: