Author Topic: Weight loss/Diarrhoea  (Read 611 times)

Offline Elouise

Weight loss/Diarrhoea
« on: December 14, 2017, 07:14:13 PM »
Our 7 month old working cocker has had a couple of bouts of diarrhoea recently, and now sickness too.  We've been to the vets twice and now waiting for the results of her stool sample, and a blood test will be done tomorrow.  I'm worried sick... she only weighs 7kg and is underweight.  The vet has not yet said what could be causing it but did mention her pancreas might not be functioning?  Has anyone else experienced this please? Many thanks, Emma (very worried owner of Izzie)

Offline PennyB

Re: Weight loss/Diarrhoea
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 09:58:28 AM »
I have had friends who have had problem with pancreas and their dog and often the solution is to ensure you follow a strict diet with them and add supplements then usually the dog has a good quality of life.

Good luck with what you find and hope its easily solved
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline phoenix

• Donator
Re: Weight loss/Diarrhoea
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 10:16:56 PM »
Sorry you are experiencing this.    If the poo is a greyish or clay colour,  greasy cowpat consistency, you must ask for a test for Epi  (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency).  It is called the Tli test, requiring 12 hours fasting . Also a blood test for B12.
It is a treatable but lifelong condition , which few vets learn about.   If the Tli test is below 2.4, it's positive . The  gold standard information  website / forum is epi4dogs.com  . Also information on pancreatitis which can segue into Epi.
My springer nearly died before the correct diagnosis , then lived happily with it for another eight years till her heart failed at 12yrs old.      Once the pancreas withers  , it cannot be regenerated. But the right enzymes and  low fibre food will work.

Feel free to pm me if an Epi test is positive.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.