Author Topic: Interaction with other breeds  (Read 1889 times)

Offline lizjane

Interaction with other breeds
« on: December 21, 2017, 11:01:19 AM »
This is becoming a problem for us. We have a 3 year old golden working cocker, recently neutered male, who is generally well-behaved, gentle and friendly to other dogs.
BUT there is a problem between him and border terriers. We live in Durham, and a lot of locals have border terriers. They seem to take an instant dislike to our dog on sight, and start barking, snarling at him and can get very aggressive. Even if he is on the other side of the road. He is now responding by being aggressive towards any border terriers that come into sight.
Is this unique to him, or does anyone else have a problem with terriers?Is it a terrier vs spaniel thing, or is it his colouring? Can anyone suggest what the reason might be, and what, if anything, we can do about it?

Offline Leo0106

Re: Interaction with other breeds
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 11:46:08 AM »
So pleased you said this , Leo vs any small terrier dosnt tend to be a great mix in my experience. Used to think it was the smaller size but he's been around smaller dogs now and is fine, just terriers seem to snap and growl at him.

Offline David Morgan

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 02:07:26 PM »
Terriers do tend to be snappy and growly - I guess that is what terrier owners like.

Offline TirelessTitch

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 08:28:48 PM »
My 8-year-old dog is a border terrier and lives quite happily with my 20-month-old working cocker - after the obligatory 3 months of ignoring him as much as he possibly could. In my experience terriers are more unpredictable with other dogs though. Titch, the WCS is the gentlest dog of any breed I've owned and (touching wood as I type) I couldn't imagine him ever starting any aggression. Both terriers I've had needed firmer control when out and about, especially when on lead as I could never be sure they wouldn't take against another dog, whatever its breed.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 08:37:07 PM »
 Our BT Mindy was always the instigator of trouble between our 2 staffies.  little b*****  :luv:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline hoover

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 10:24:20 AM »
Ollie is not a huge fan of border terriers but his ultimate nemesis is the French Bulldog!

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 06:40:50 PM »
My Marley ignores other dogs most of the time. It tends to be the smaller dogs that bark at him or run up and try to attack him. He was bitten by an Irish terrier on Durham racecourse a few months back after the owner said her dog is friendly. I try to keep him away from other dogs as much as possible just for peace of mind really as you never know how the other dogs are going to react.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 12:30:16 AM »
Terriers do tend to be snappy and growly - I guess that is what terrier owners like.

Excuse me, after Bob my cocker, who was a danger risk with people,   I adopted two small terriers, (though one is part poodle....still a terrier in fluff).  They can be snappy with other dogs, part small size problem...Tinker's head would be a Cornish pasty to an aggressive large dog,   And part their breeding to be be independent diggers/ ratters, not team players.   But they weren't noisy when I adopted them .
 I too do not like any  aggressive behaviour  close to other dogs  . Sadly this behaviour started when uncontrolled off lead groups of friendly spaniels and labs, pet and working,  surrounded us ,leaping around with the casual, distant  owners shouting the usual "they're friendly" while the mob freaked out the 6kg terriers . There is an assumption by many spaniel owners that their dogs are angelic.  I loved my cocker,  but as we on Col know,they too have issues.
My springer stuck  her nose in a jackrussells  face and got nipped. Mine was off lead, the terrier was on lead,between two adults.    My fault.  Terrier owners know their character,  but  what they love is the enthusiasm, intelligence and constant fun and games that they share. 
Finally in their defence, most terrier owners keep them on lead, and avoid trouble. All dog owners should show respect for each other, what ever the breed.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 08:41:31 AM »
I'm not saying it's just terriers so please don't take offence. I had a little pug come charging over to Marley a few days back the dogs owner was about 200 yards away and didn't seem bothered. My Marley is not completely blameless. He is a confident little dog he will occasionally go running over to strange dogs and get himself in trouble at times. However after being attacked a couple of times by dogs running wild off lead I try and keep him by my side. whenever I see any dogs off lead I always put my dog on a lead when I come into sight of any dogs.

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 03:42:47 PM »
We were at a car show, large field, lots of people.Then a comotion started and a terrier, off lead, had snapped and growled at a Staffie that was on a lead,the Staffie then got a good grip on the terrier and wouldnt let go.Luckily it was an intact Staffie and I remembered reading about either kicking or grabbing its 'bits' which someone did.Staffie let go and the terrier was picked up, puncture wounds to its neck and in shock but alive and driven to vets.But people were shouting at the Staffie owner who was saying His dog was on a lead and had never had a problem before.Would guess It might have to be muzzled from then on just in case.I am now paranoid about Staffies which is ridiculous I know, but also wary of terriers, We have had an issue with a wired hair Jack Russell ( not just us with that one) and a friend has two Border Terriers one of whom is a pussy cat the other a horror.Rosie is a dream, unless She feels Her ball is under threat, when She turns into a demon ,so ball games stop when other dogs close.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 06:50:33 PM »
Yeah it annoys me when I put my dog on the lead when we come into contact with other dogs and the other owner doesnt bother. I thought it was the law to have your dog on a lead at public places especially a car show. I know you can't keep your dog on a lead all the time but a car boot sale is not the appropriate place to have a dog off lead I would never do that. As far as I'm concerned the staffy did nothing wrong.

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 06:51:55 PM »
I agree, And most dogs are kept on leads, would never let Rosie off not just because of other dogs but cars, steam engines etc trundling around.And too felt the Staffie wasnt totally to blame.I guess if you have a dog that generally doesnt wander off, stays by ,you may feel a lead is not needed.

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 08:21:38 PM »
It's just my personal opinion, having a lively, friendly 13 month pup I have always been extremely careful about dogs on leads. Leo has zero aggression with other dogs but also lacks the impulses control stopping him from saying hello to every dog.. even ones on lead. So if there is a dog approaching on the lead, I always clip Leo on.

In my eyes, if a dog is on a lead, it's for a good reason, I would hate for Leo to make an already worried dog more anxious or for him to trigger aggression due to my lack of control in him saying hi. So I'm always super carefull.
It's as much about owner etiquette as it is dog etiquette.

Don't feel the Staffie we in the wrong in this instance. If a dog feels threatened he/she will defend ones self. 

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 10:16:08 AM »
My dog is pretty good heeling off lead however if we are in a public place and he sees a cat, bird or another dog I don't completely trust him not to wander off he has a high drive. When my dog is on lead I'm sending a message out meaning I don't want any interaction it just gets my dog excited or nervous and he goes bananas pulling me and jumping around like a maniac.

Offline David Morgan

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 05:02:32 PM »
Yeah it annoys me when I put my dog on the lead when we come into contact with other dogs and the other owner doesnt bother. I thought it was the law to have your dog on a lead at public places especially a car show. I know you can't keep your dog on a lead all the time but a car boot sale is not the appropriate place to have a dog off lead I would never do that. As far as I'm concerned the staffy did nothing wrong.

My dogs are only off the lead well away from roads and traffic - we live in the countryside. I know they have good recall, and no aggression, and so a lead is not needed. In places where mine are off the lead, I assume that only those dogs that are not well behaved will be on the lead. If I don't like the look of other dogs, I might put the leads on; just to keep mine close and safe.

It is only the law to have your dog under control - that could be verbal control. I don't trust mine enough to try that near traffic, but many of my neighbours, with their oh so biddable collies and sheep dogs, have no problems.