Author Topic: Kennels or Boarding??  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Kennels or Boarding??
« on: December 21, 2017, 10:16:17 PM »

I am in a quandry and would appreciate some perspective.....

We are booked to go to Disneyland Paris in May - before booking my in-laws agreed to have Honey.  However a commitment they had the following week has now been brought forward and they can no longer have her.

In her 10yrs, she's only ever been looked after by them or us.

But I now need to find an alternative....  my heart says boarding... but she's a tricky dog, and I'm not sure she'd settle with another dog in the home, and I'm not sure she won't find someone else's home and routines rather stressful even if it was a dog free home.  Primarily I worry about a boarding person managing her behaviour - she's fine with us as we know her and she trusts us, I can read when she is unhappy about the way another dog is approaching, I can tell when she's nicked something she thinks she needs to guard, and my kids respect her space.  I wouldn't trust her in close proximity to an unknown child.

My head says kennels - no risk of visiting children, a clear (albeit not as personal) routine and expectations.... I doubt she'll enjoy the experience, but I think she'd bounce back pretty well. 

I would love to think of her cuddled up in a home-from-home, but if she's stressed she's more likely to guard, and she will actively look for something to guard if she thinks she needs to (whether that be an empty crisp packet or a peice of paper).  That said, I don't think she's ever stolen/guarded stuff at my in-laws.  She does, however, terrify the postman  ph34r and has taken 9yrs to accept their next door neighbour.

Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Kennels or Boarding??
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 10:47:02 PM »
Why not try her for a couple of nights in a local kennel before you go away? That way she and you can see how she adjusts. Have worked at kennels and dogs genuinely settle quite quickly and most enjoy the experience as there is a fair amount of activity. I personally feel my dogs are safer in a decent kennel than in a home boarding g situation. And she is less likely to guard in a totally new situation/ routine. And with staff used to dealing with different dogd and temperaments.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 10:48:30 PM »
Have you considered pet sitters. There is a website that does this. My brother and sister-in-law are currently doing this, they are looking after a dog for 6 weeks, in its own home. All seems well so far x
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 10:59:26 PM »
Have you considered pet sitters. There is a website that does this. My brother and sister-in-law are currently doing this, they are looking after a dog for 6 weeks, in its own home. All seems well so far x

I actually think she'd be worst with this.... she expects things to be a particular way in our house and would likely be less tolerant of even small differences of routine from an unfamiliar person in her own territory (despite this probably being the most financially attractive option, as the cat wouldn't need to go to the cattery!!!).   Also, we never manage to leave the house tidy enough for someone else to stay when we are leaving to go on holiday (dog also gets incredibly stressed if we pack up for a holiday up until the point she is put in the car to be brought with us!).

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 11:03:43 PM »
Why not try her for a couple of nights in a local kennel before you go away? That way she and you can see how she adjusts. Have worked at kennels and dogs genuinely settle quite quickly and most enjoy the experience as there is a fair amount of activity. I personally feel my dogs are safer in a decent kennel than in a home boarding g situation. And she is less likely to guard in a totally new situation/ routine. And with staff used to dealing with different dogd and temperaments.

May well end up doing this.
I asked for recommendations on a local Facebook group, but got lots of people recommending home boarders.... one made contact and has someone we are going to meet, but I think if I'm not 100% happy I'm going to revert to the kennels idea.  I totally get why a lot of dogs far prefer home boarding - but Honey has always been her own personality, and really isn't that people focussed (unless they are people she knows).  She's not a cuddly dog - she likes her own space and I actually think she'd cope ok in kennels now (she wouldn't have when she was younger, as she needed so much more input and company, but she's 10 now and actually looks forward to us leaving her for a chunk of time more than going out for a walk!!!!

Offline hoover

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 10:21:35 AM »
We've had this same dilemma with Ollie and opted for Kennels because we couldn't be sure of how he would behave and didn't want to worry about episodes of aggression with people who were unfamiliar with his quirks. The Kennels gets a printed sheet from us detailing issues / scenarios that might crop up - I am sure they are thrilled  :lol:  But he has always done very well there and knows the drill now I think.  We would consider home boarding in the future though as his behaviour is a good bit steadier now he is maturing.

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 12:12:38 PM »
I had the same dilemma as you. In the end we went for the kennels, we visited the kennels before and also had recommendations from friends. The kennels were good as we provided them with his crate/bedding and food. So the only difference was that we weren't there.

Personally I hated leaving him and was very worried. However when I picked him up he was completely fine and was his normal happy self, so I was worrying over nothing.
As soon as we got him back we were straight back in to our normal routine and it was like we hadn't even been away.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 05:10:48 PM »
I have to admit, we too have a MIL who housesits Oliver and he adores her, however he is 10 years old too and has never had anyone other than us or MIL care for him, he is a very dominant character and you have to prevent situations :fear2:.

Next year we have a family reunion planned and normally he would come too, (we have booked a cottage) but I am begining months ahead to wonder if him coming is a good idea....in hindsight I would have but him in kennels long ago as I think he ownership of me would have been less :005:

I too think the staying in a kennels a couple of nights might be an idea, I would sound out people you meet to recommend kennels and then you can ask to visit it, any good kennels will let you visit, hope it all works out.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 06:29:45 PM »
Henry stays in kennels a couple of times a year and comes home as if nothing has changed. I think for him it’s less confusing than staying in another home. The kennels are a completely different environment and he seems quite accepting of it. The kennels we use post photos and videos every day on Facebook and I can see Henry is perfectly happy, running around and bossing the other dogs as always.

Our kennels also have special ‘rooms’ for reactive dogs with frosted glass on the lower parts of the door and sound proofing so those dogs don’t get over-stimulated.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline PennyB

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 09:52:34 AM »
There are few people I'd leave my dogs with anyway and would rather know they're in a good kennels where they do understand them - I would go on your gut feeling to be honest (I remember once agonising like you over something similar and in the end hadn't gone away that time anyway but  in my case I was worried about my dogs escaping from the home - friends had dogs themselves and knew mine but their kids and friends often left front door open so worried mine would escape - theirs didn't as they were used to it but I knew mine being nosy cockers would - I would've worried the whole time if I'd left them there)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 06:29:12 PM »
Yes... I think I’ll very much have to go with my gut instinct. We have 5 months to find somewhere, so I guess it’s not urgent.
If we hadn’t already booked (on the understanding that in-laws would have her) we just wouldn’t go away... but hotel is nonrefundable and can’t really afford to lose out on £800 of hotel booking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 06:56:10 PM »
Yes... I think I’ll very much have to go with my gut instinct. We have 5 months to find somewhere, so I guess it’s not urgent.
If we hadn’t already booked (on the understanding that in-laws would have her) we just wouldn’t go away... but hotel is nonrefundable and can’t really afford to lose out on £800 of hotel booking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do start looking now. I book in February or March for the summer holidays.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)