Author Topic: Swollen eyelids  (Read 731 times)

Offline phoenix

• Donator
Swollen eyelids
« on: January 02, 2018, 11:43:57 PM »
My friends 5year old cocker's eyelid rims are swollen, but the actual  eye and third eyelid are fine.  Before heading to the vet , she has put cold damp compresses on them , and tried to think of what's  different over the last fortnight. Ok Christmas,     but then there's the new Ikea rug and its chemicals,   Or mother-in-law staying,  with over use of cleaning materials, or daddy with a stinking cold/flu, or is it infection from teeth that are due a scale and polish? Looks like it be will trial and error. Anyone have experience?   It's all round both eyes,  slightly swollen no lumpy,  had it for a week, so definitely not eyelash trouble.
Any advice too improve the vet visit is welcome!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Swollen eyelids
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 08:12:52 AM »
My first guess would be an allergy but after a week I think I‘d have a word with the vet. Does your friend have a real xmas tree by any chance? Lots of trees are sprayed with chemicals that can cause very nasty reactions, -there‘s always a chance of injury from the needles aswell, they can become very hard and sharp as the trees start to dry out. Dry air from central heating might also cause problems. Lots of our visitors brought well meant treats and presents for Humphrey but I secretly ditched some of them, particularly the flurescent green  xmas tree biscuit 🤮, goodness knows what rubbish was in that!
Hope she‘s better soon, whatever the cause!

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 11:43:50 PM »
We have a suspect.....  balloons!  The powder in them spreads tiny bits of latex which could go in his eyes. Same with latex gloves. My friend noticed his breathing was irritated when he lay next to them.
The vet had suggested an allergy,  but only gave him antibiotic drops.
  An anyone tell me which over the counter Allergy drops or tablets are safe for dogs?  Last I read was thAt piriton,  zirtek and benzedryl were ok.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 07:50:26 AM »
Good gracious! I know of several people with allergies to latex but it wouldn‘t have been the first thing that sprang to mind withna dog! Glad the cause has hopefully been  found, just hope a solution can be now - sorry, I can‘t help you with that but thanks for the update, it might be ofnhelp to someone else at some time!

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 02:54:50 PM »
Balloons disposed of outside, hoovering everything done. Two weeks on, the eyelids are normal and £58 wasted at the vet.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 03:36:45 PM »
Balloons disposed of outside, hoovering everything done. Two weeks on, the eyelids are normal and £58 wasted at the vet.

Oh well, we live and learn..... :-\. Glad everything‘s ok now!