Author Topic: dryer for american cocker  (Read 4203 times)

Offline shaigr

dryer for american cocker
« on: January 03, 2018, 08:54:38 AM »
hi,
Im getting confuse after reading alot about dryers/blasters.
I have 2 american cocker with long fur and try to find best dryer for the work (bath every 7-10 days).
Can someone recommend me about good dryer/blaster to do the hard work?
my budget is 400-500 $.
Thanks,
Shai.

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
Re: dryer for american cocker
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 05:26:44 PM »
I prefer a dryer against a blaster as its easier to brush through with a stand dryer I have A Simpsons Professional Super Jet £495.00 on www.simpsons-online.co.uk mine has 2 heat & speed settings with a point & direct nozzle so both hands are free to brush as you dry.

I also have a Double K stand dryer that has a hose to blast & also a point & direct nozzle 2 speed settings a variable power control around £500 , i never use the hose attachment just the point & direct.

My favourite is my Simpsons dryer
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack

Offline Barry H

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 09:32:13 AM »
I prefer a dryer against a blaster as its easier to brush through with a stand dryer I have A Simpsons Professional Super Jet £495.00 on www.simpsons-online.co.uk
Ooooh!  I want one!  I realise it's pro kit, but couldn't justify the cost, sadly.  Got to be the ultimate Cocker accessory for the guy/gal who has everything, though.   Currently using a hand-held ordinary dryer, every bloomin' day in this weather  >:(.  Takes ages and no good for the old back!  Roll on summer...

Offline David Morgan

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 10:52:36 AM »
Our older two are clipped and so a towel dry does the trick, but puppy Mason has long fur (even his face - hairiest cocker I've seen) and drying him is a pain. Annoyingly, Mason also like water more than his older brother and sister.

I'd read that human hair dryers are bad, in that the heat damages dog fur, so I ordered a cheap pet dryer a few days ago. The one I got was only £43 from Amazon and seems to work well - only tried it once so far. Even on low setting the air pressure is fantastic and seems to do the job without too much heat. It looks like a small, pink, vacuum cleaner; so we've taken to calling it The Pig. It got a good review on the pet dryer comparison site I found (don't you just love the 21st century) and great reviews on Amazon.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 11:12:26 AM »
Our older two are clipped and so a towel dry does the trick, but puppy Mason has long fur (even his face - hairiest cocker I've seen) and drying him is a pain. Annoyingly, Mason also like water more than his older brother and sister.

I'd read that human hair dryers are bad, in that the heat damages dog fur, so I ordered a cheap pet dryer a few days ago. The one I got was only £43 from Amazon and seems to work well - only tried it once so far. Even on low setting the air pressure is fantastic and seems to do the job without too much heat. It looks like a small, pink, vacuum cleaner; so we've taken to calling it The Pig. It got a good review on the pet dryer comparison site I found (don't you just love the 21st century) and great reviews on Amazon.

Oh, I hadn't heard the human hairdryers were bad. Would you say the pet works better than the human one generally? Henry LOVES the hairdryer, which is just as well as he is a fluffy monster with constantly drippy ears this time of year.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 02:41:33 PM »
Humphrey‘s bottom half is hosed down on a daily basis at the moment, I usually just do legs and „under carriage“ but find if I use those microfiber absorbant cloth towels and just keep wringing them out until no more water comes out, I can get him pretty dry without having to use the dryer everytime. I‘ve got a couple which I chuck into the washing machine every now and again, I‘ve had them for nearly 3 years and they‘re more or less indestructable. Best bit of „doggy“ equipment I‘ve ever invested in!

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 02:46:34 PM »
Humphrey‘s bottom half is hosed down on a daily basis at the moment, I usually just do legs and „under carriage“ but find if I use those microfiber absorbant cloth towels and just keep wringing them out until no more water comes out, I can get him pretty dry without having to use the dryer everytime. I‘ve got a couple which I chuck into the washing machine every now and again, I‘ve had them for nearly 3 years and they‘re more or less indestructable. Best bit of „doggy“ equipment I‘ve ever invested in!

I keep trying the towels you are supposed to keep moist but they ALWAYS end up going mouldy between uses. What brand do you use? Henry gets a bath once a week (I know, I know, but I’m not a fan of the doggy smell) and in the winter he shivers if I don’t dry him with the dryer, even if I put on his fleece.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 07:09:43 PM »
Mine are from Karlie. Just looked online and can‘t find them but I‘m sure they‘re available in UK - I‘ll message my friend in B‘ham and ask where she got her‘s from. I‘ve never had them go mouldy but they‘re in use more or less every day, so don‘t really get the chance. I‘ll get back to you.....

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 10:52:22 PM »
My friend has Aquamat Tube Towels, which look similar to mine. She bought hers at a dog show but they‘re also available online.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 11:31:32 PM »
My friend has Aquamat Tube Towels, which look similar to mine. She bought hers at a dog show but they‘re also available online.

Thanks so much, I’ll try those!

Offline Barry H

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 09:53:28 AM »
Oh, I hadn't heard the human hairdryers were bad. Would you say the pet works better than the human one generally? Henry LOVES the hairdryer, which is just as well as he is a fluffy monster with constantly drippy ears this time of year.
TBH, I can't for the life of me see why a bog standard hair dryer would be bad for occasional use.  They all do the same thing.  Sounds like a ploy to sell the pet ones.  OK, if you're going to use it like a jet engine next to skin then fair enough, but for ordinary drying on a warm heat a few inches away, it's fine.  Mine was a reasonably powerful one - 20 quid from Amazon.  The cheaper ones actually can't chuck out that much heat anyway, which is a good thing.  I don't dry completely, but leave him slightly damp, otherwise I'd be there for half an hour, I think it's better for his coat and I don't want him to be uncomfortable.  Jack loves it - even though it kills my back!

As for towels, Ancol do a fantastic microfibre ones - cheap and dry really quickly.  I have half a dozen used in rotation.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 12:23:08 PM »
I'm slightly sceptical about whether normal hairdryers are bad for their coats, but it does seem like dedicated pet driers will be good for us and our backs as they produce a MUCH stronger stream of air and do the job quicker.

Offline David Morgan

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 04:52:35 PM »

I read a long while ago that it is the heat from hair-dryers that damages fur. Pet hair dryers are much more powerful, but low heat.

Used ours a few times now. A hair dryer will take 30 minutes to dry Mason, the pet dryer takes about 5 minutes. It is fantastic and if I had know they were so cheap, I would have bought one years ago.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 04:56:53 PM »
I am just about to unbox our very own Pig dryer and will be giving it a whirl tomorrow.

I've also bought a couple of the Ancol towels for the car and they are brilliant for giving Henry a swab down after our walk.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 06:44:44 PM »
Update - the dog dryer as recommended by David Morgan is FANTASTIC. I‘ve used it a lot since we got it. It dries Henry very quickly after a bath - five to ten minutes and he is mostly dry and comfortable. Today he came home from a long walk soaked and shivering. Five minutes with the ‘tornado’ and he was pretty much dry. You can see the water physically leaving his coat, so it is blown out rather than evaporated with heat. Thoroughly recommended.