Author Topic: Reoccurring conjunctivitis?  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Leo0106

Reoccurring conjunctivitis?
« on: January 04, 2018, 02:42:14 PM »
Hiya, me and Leo here again with our next concern...  :lol:
Leo had a really nasty sneezy cold and conjunctivitis about 3/4months a go. The week before chrismtas I noticed a reoccurring lump of gunk in his eyes so took him back and they prescribed some drops, no sign of anything over Christmas but made sure i finished the course of drops but the minute I came home it's started again and now in both eyes.

My worry is that this may be allergic conjunctivitis? I've been trying him with more foods etc?
Or maybe an environmental allergy?
Or maybe I'm just panicking and he's been unlucky that it hasn't cleared up this time around  :005:

Back to vets tomorrow but wondered if anyone had any experience

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: Reoccurring conjunctivitis?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 03:54:17 PM »
Henry gets gunky eyes every now and again. He's only had one real bout of conjunctivitis, which I took him to the vet for. When they are just gunky (especially first thing in the morning) but he seems otherwise okay and the white of his eyes are not inflamed, the vet told me to wash his eyes with cooled camomile tea. I do this and it normally clears up within the day.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 04:03:27 PM »
Its hard to say, - what did the vet say last time? Was it a bacterial infection or were the eyes just irritated? Central heatings, wind etc can all cause dryness and soreness as can allergies. After an unfortunate experience with my first dog, because I hadn’t full understood what we’d been prescribed, I‘d only suggest that you try to get the vet to determine the real  cause  and be clear about what the eye drops are and how long they can be used for.

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 05:49:10 PM »
Hi both thanks for your comments,
Londongirl Leo often does have, what I call, 'sleepy dust' in the mornings such i have written off as normal for him. When he first had it months ago he was clearly poorly, he sneezed every 5 seconds and had a temperature and the conjunctivitis so that was sort of explained. When I took him just before Xmas all he has was a constant ball of yellow gunk on his right eye. The eyelid was pretty dark pink when the vet looked so he said it was conjunctivitis... now, today, it's gunk in both eyes constantly reoccurring again and when he was tired last night his eyelids were sort of visible if that makes sense and red.
Bizzlylizzy I did think about central heating , he dosnt sleep near a radiator in my mum's house but he does in my house and it's when we got back to mine that it kicked up again. I've moved his bed as far away as possible now but I assume now that they are irritated the infection takes hold etc and it needs treating. I'm going to question the vets about allergies tomorrow, however I am always wary of suggesting things to my vets as it is only then that they say 'oh yes that will cost £xxx.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 06:23:51 PM »
I don‘t think its the warmth as much as the dry air - you could try standing little bowls of water either on or somewhere above the radiator, - its amazing how quickly it evaporates!

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 07:29:53 PM »
Ah interesting.. I'll try that tonight! Thankyou!

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 07:27:59 PM »
So vet didnt give me more drops which I'm pretty pleased about. I mentioned that I felt it may be an allergen in the air and she agreed as I explained whilst I was at my mum's there was not a single sign of it yet when i got back to mine it started again.

She put dye in his eyes and was happy with how they looked and suggested I try ruling out airborne stuff one at a time so i can assess how it goes.

I've so far taken out the air freshener from the kitchen which is where he sleeps....

Offline pam1

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 08:48:23 PM »
My Poppy always had very'gunky'eyes until I was recommended to bathe her eyes with infused Thyme.  I've done this every day for the last 6 months or so and her eyes are now lovely and clear.  I just put a teaspoon of dried Thyme in a  little bowl, add boiling water and leave to cool and then filter out the bits with kitchen towel.   The infusion keeps in the fridge for a few days.
Pam, Oliver and Bertie

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 08:55:55 PM »
Thanks Pam1 I will try that. I was told by the vet that some pups do get 'puppy conjunctivitis' until they are 18 months old..
I was pleased as she didn't think it was full blown conjunctivitis just an irritation but am keen to try something that will help.
Do you just used dried thyme that you get from the herb counter?

Offline pam1

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 09:26:29 PM »
Yes, I just use dried Thyme.  It's certainly working for Poppy! 😀
Pam, Oliver and Bertie

Offline PennyB

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 08:22:19 PM »
Henry gets gunky eyes every now and again. He's only had one real bout of conjunctivitis, which I took him to the vet for. When they are just gunky (especially first thing in the morning) but he seems otherwise okay and the white of his eyes are not inflamed, the vet told me to wash his eyes with cooled camomile tea. I do this and it normally clears up within the day.

even cold black tea works too
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline RobinRed

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 09:54:03 PM »
Thanks for the Thyme infusion recommendation.

My old girl Missi (13yrs) has had pink eyes for a while and every time we visit  the vet we’ve been given different  drops despite me insisting that her eyes seem to be irritated rather than helped. Most recently we were given antibiotic drops which we tried -my poor girly obviously didn’t like them but I persevered because I’d  been told I should😕. Poor Missi ended up with very very sore inflamed gunky  eyes after just a couple of days so I stopped and just bathed her eyes with sterile cold water, this cleaned them but they were still very sore. Yesterday we started bathing in thyme infusion and today they look so much better, the rims seem calmer and there’s not so much gunk.  And she’s got a bit of her bounce back 😊😊

Can we continue bathing indefinately?

Thanks again for your help 😊

Offline pam1

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 02:24:44 PM »
Hi, yes I do it every day to both my cockers, it seems to keep them lovely and clear.  I am a bit paranoid about Poppy's eyes, as she had to have an operation when she was about one for in growing lashes

Touch wood, no problems since! 😀
Pam, Oliver and Bertie

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 08:01:47 PM »
Well.. I havnt tried anything to clear it up yet as I decided to try the elimination of possible airborne allergens first..
The first thing I removed was a plug in air freshener (got it approx 4 weeks before xmas, Leo got his first bout of gunky eyes 3 weeks before xmas..
So took that out about 4 days ago, Leo's eyes cleared up although I though it may be coincidence..
Tonight I plugged it back in our of curiosity and after 5 minutes he had watery eyes, pawing at his face and seemed uncomfortable.. don't think that's as much of a coincidence!

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 04:50:13 PM »
Wow,  what a result.   They make my eyes sore too.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.