Author Topic: Alabama Rot  (Read 2611 times)

Online MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Alabama Rot
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 10:38:28 PM »
the Sandringham Estate  around 2009/2010  posted warning notices of a mystery disease affecting  dogs. This outbreak is now put down to Alabama Rot. We walked that estate many times before and after those years until last year.
Are you sure about that? I know the Sandringham Estate is one of the areas known to have been affected by Seasonal Canine Illness over the last few years, and that's an entirely different disease to Alabama Rot.

Edited to add. The deaths at Sandringham noted since 2009 have been caused by Seasonal Canine Illness, not Alabama Rot.
http://www.aht.org.uk/cms-display/seasonal_illness.html

my mistake   was under the impression that it was a name change
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 05:46:44 AM »
I totally agree with elaine,

If we listened to every report to every possible disease etc then what kind of life would our dogs have ?

If you Know the risk and the symptoms you can make an informed decision.

I avoid heavily wooded area's which dosn't bother Bea at all and when she gets particularly muddy I then wash her feet and legs in the dilute solution.

If there is an area that has had confirmed cases then no, I probably wouldn't visit which is a shame.

Sharon.

Offline pam1

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 11:20:50 AM »
We live near Cannock Chase in Staffs where there has been a recent outbreak and a dog died 😢.
We still go there but avoid muddy woods. We take a small garden pressure sprayer out with us if we go in the car and spray their legs and pads thoroughly after walking, as advised.    I think you have to take the best precautions you can but also allow the dogs freedom to exercise, run around and be happy.   If we listened to all the reports about stolen dogs, poison food lying around and other diseases we would never take them out! 🐾🐾🐾
Pam, Oliver and Bertie

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 12:41:01 PM »
The seasonal canine illness does seem to have had a wee bit more press notice due to a certain Mam, when we were in Trough  of Bowland there were several signs last October warning of it Crown land me knows.  Same with the Sandringham Estate.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline suerob

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2018, 10:53:24 PM »
For anyone in the Brighton area, a case has been reported in a dog that is walked primarily in Stanmer Park.
It’s a real worry. I walk Kinsey in Friston Forest and lots of other places near Seaford that are terribly wet and muddy at this time of year. I wash her paws off once home but don’t like the fact that her paws get wet so often. She's gradually getting used to the hairdryer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2018, 02:25:45 AM »
Seem as tho' there is not much more we can do  >:D as with everything else that's nasty you learn to live with it. >:(
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2018, 03:21:50 PM »
There was a news item on BBC South tv on Thursday or Friday about a vet (not from Anderson Moores) doing some research into whether a bug/bacterium known in fish might be linked to Alabama Rot. Apparently this bug is active during cold wet weather and releases toxins and causes lesions in fish. Did anyone else see this report?
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2018, 03:55:27 PM »

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2018, 11:01:09 PM »
There was a news item on BBC South tv on Thursday or Friday about a vet (not from Anderson Moores) doing some research into whether a bug/bacterium known in fish might be linked to Alabama Rot. Apparently this bug is active during cold wet weather and releases toxins and causes lesions in fish. Did anyone else see this report?

I did, and I was looking for a link to it earlier today to watch it again, but couldn't find one. The vet who was interviewed thinks it may be caused by a bacteria that thrives in cold freshwater. When she started researching it she came across a report from many years ago suggesting a link to dog deaths (I'm not sure when or where). If it is this particular bacteria it dies quickly once out of it's natural environment. So if any trace was to be found on an infected dog it would on the skin, or skin lesions, shortly after the dog had come into contact. A post mortem wouldn't find any trace of the bacteria.

That was my understanding when I watched the interview, but as I'm not a scientist and because my husband was talking to me about something else at the time, I may be wrong! That's why I was trying to find a link to watch it again.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2018, 11:33:55 PM »
My goldfish got fin rot when the water went green! Stagnant puddles In woods and fields where other creatures roam are unpleasant.   The fish recovered after the pond was cleaned out and chemicals added.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2018, 07:56:30 AM »
Just read the report. Hope they‘re on to something and that a cure can be found for this horrible disease!