Author Topic: overly amorous dog  (Read 1552 times)

Offline montysmum

• Crazy Dog Lady
overly amorous dog
« on: March 17, 2018, 04:01:28 PM »
I'm just looking for a little bit of hand-holding and reassurance i'm not alone in this. whenever we have unfamiliar visitors, our dog get so excited at the prospect of meeting new people, he always humps their leg. the visitors normally just laugh it off, but I can't help feeling so embarrassed by this, to the point that it's really quite upsetting and stressful for me. Our dog is 2 in june and he is intact, but after today's activities I have already called the vet the book him in to be done. As I said, the visitors just laugh about it, but I am so embarrassed atm. I don't really know why i'm writing this post as I have already started the plan to get him castrated. I suppose I just need abit of hand-holding and reassurance this is 'normal' and a lot of people have had similar, just to ease my embarrassment a bit. many thanks in advance
A lovely dog with long floppy ears
a friend you have memories with
all through the years

Much love from

Monty and Tina

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: overly amorous dog
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 05:34:24 PM »
If it's the only time he humps it's quite likely to be excitement rather than sexual arousal. I can understand why it may be embarrassing for you though :005:

If you don't have any other reason for having him castrated could you try setting up a routine for him when visitors arrive to see if it will help? One of my two, Louis, is quite anxious about visitors he doesn't know and barks a lot. So when the doorbell rings I put him and William in the study, which is off the hall, and shut them in there. The study door is glass panelled, so they can see the visitors and watch them arrive and settle in. But if it was a solid door I'd probably use a babygate so they could still see what's happening.

Once the visitors have settled I let the dogs through and ask them to ignore Louis initially because I don't want him to become worried. Perhaps you could do something similar to give Monty the chance to get over his excitement before he greets the visitors?

Offline montysmum

• Crazy Dog Lady
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 05:48:23 PM »
that is a very good suggestion. thank you. I would normally be a bit more organised and put him in another room, but I wasn't today. TBH, he does not do it to me or anyone he sees regularly. I think it's because he's not overly excited to see us. (A bit like, Oh its you again. but sure he loves us really). It's just when new people comes to visit, he gets so excited by new people and has to be friends with everyone and simply loves people. He doesn't even do it to dogs we meet. I feel a bit better now and the embarrassment is subsiding. I know its a dog thing and most do it, but that doesn't help the embarrassment when it does.  >:(
all through the years

Much love from

Monty and Tina

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 06:22:28 PM »
It would be a pity to rush into getting him castrated unless he has any other issues. You’re understandably distressed, I‘d be just the same -( I have the problem with Humphrey  jumping all everyone in his excitement which gets me equally annoyed! >:D, ) but it is a big decision and isn‘t without other side effects. If what Elaine has suggested doesn‘t work, you could try a castration chip first to see if it makes any difference before making the final decision but from the what you‘ve said it does sound more like pure excitement and at two, he is still young.
Best of luck!!  ;)

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 07:37:00 PM »
Our old boy Max was not overly prone to this, until we had a home check to enable up to adopt a rescue dog.  This lovely young girl came in and sat down, spoke to Max and his brother Bertie, and after a few minutes Max decided that humping her leg was the perfect way to impress!   ph34r  I could not manage to distract him at all, and I was absolutely mortified.  Bizarrely we passed the home check!  :005:

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 09:35:18 PM »
 :rofl1:  That so made me laugh.  Obviously the home checker was well versed with cocker spaniel behaviour,  (or bad behaviour).

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 10:32:41 PM »
:rofl1:  That so made me laugh.  Obviously the home checker was well versed with cocker spaniel behaviour,  (or bad behaviour).
It still makes me cringe thinking about it now!  :005:  The home checker was completely unfazed and I wanted the floor to open up and swallow me!

Offline montysmum

• Crazy Dog Lady
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 12:52:02 PM »
hi everyone. thank you so much for your responses. can you describe the pros and cons for getting him done please? i've researched and most people recommend castration. what are the bad side effects on getting this done? he does 'mark' outside a lot and a bit of a roamer! x x x x x
all through the years

Much love from

Monty and Tina

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 02:13:19 PM »
hi everyone. thank you so much for your responses. can you describe the pros and cons for getting him done please? i've researched and most people recommend castration. what are the bad side effects on getting this done? he does 'mark' outside a lot and a bit of a roamer! x x x x x

I think we’ve all been faced with the question at some time or other. There are lots of dogs on here who have been castrated and lots that haven‘t, for all sorts of reasons and the strength of the arguments as to the pros and cons depend very much on the situation.
I can therefore only list the fors and againsts as they apply to us, based on the information which I‘ve gathered along the way (in some cases only read, not experienced!). Apparently castration, if done too early, can affect growth, some argue that it could cause anxiety and lack of confidence. It can affect the coat making it thicker and woollier and more difficult to manage, it can also cause weight gain. Castration is an operation carried out under anaesthetic and there are always some risks, albeit extremely low. Castration affects the hormone balance, obviously, and that can have both positive and negative effects. However on the plus side, a castrated dog is less likely to run off after bitches in season, some dogs suffer badly when bitches in the neighbourhood are in season, becoming restless, pining and not eating etc. Living with an uncastrated dog in a neighbourhood with a lot of other dogs or having to walk where there are also a lot of dogs can therefore be difficult for both dog and owner. With regards to marking, I‘m not convinced that castration will successfuly stop it infact I‘m not even certain if any behaviour issues are guaranteed, it very much depends on the individual dog. For the record, I live in a quiet rural area and so don‘t have many of the problems others do, so Humphrey‘s still entire, he does however still have one undescended testicle, which does pose a cancer risk so we have it monitord regularly but there is a possibility that it will have to be removed at some point.  Whichever way you decide will be right for you and your dog but I would suggest you gather as much info you can first. There are some vets, (not all) who advise castration early and I know it is quite common but I would only have it done if there was a solid reason! Hope that helps, a bit!  ;)

Offline montysmum

• Crazy Dog Lady
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 04:31:40 PM »
thank you. i am swaying towards getting him 'done'. i know it may not solve the humping, but willing to take that chance. He is an amazing dog and not aggressive at all. very comical and naughty, in an cute way.
all through the years

Much love from

Monty and Tina

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 07:17:14 PM »
I know this won't help but thought the following might make you chuckle.

Many years ago, a dear friend of mine went to meet her boyfriend's parents for the first time ever. She was just 18 and incredibly nervous.
When she arrived their very large dalmatian took a shine to her and began to hump her leg.  In her innocence, she just stood there smiling at boyfriend and parents and chatting away - until suddenly the inevitable happened, all over their highly polished sideboard.
She was absolutely mortified.
Boyfriend found it hilarious.
Parents were furious about the marks on their antique furniture.  (Now I am older and a little wiser, I feel they should have done something to stop him so shouldn't have been angry!)

(They went on to get married, but divorced years later!) 
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline montysmum

• Crazy Dog Lady
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 09:52:04 AM »
o wow penelope. this definitely puts my humping incident in the shade in comparison and made me chuckle. poor girl.  :005: Dogs can be so embarrassing sometimes!!
all through the years

Much love from

Monty and Tina

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 11:51:59 AM »
Hi my dog Marley isn't castrated. He only humps one of my friends legs nobody else for some reason. I don't see it as a big deal. I Just tell him no and he stops. I'm not planning on getting him castrated. I certainly wouldn't just for this one issue. I have no other issues with him. He marks a lot outside but again it's no big deal. I'm going to let nature take its course. I'll only castrate him for medical reasons.