Author Topic: slipping on floors  (Read 2682 times)

Offline howells

• Site Member
slipping on floors
« on: January 21, 2018, 05:51:10 PM »
Barnaby who is now 14 is starting to have real trouble gripping with his paws even on carpeted floors. Is this a paw problem or should I get some rubber sheets at least to put down while he eats his dinner? It's awful watching him slither around while trying to enjoy his food. That's what he lives for now that he is old/almost totally blind and deaf. Have any other oldies had this problem?

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: slipping on floors
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 06:02:37 PM »
I did with Jay my previous boy, we had a wooden floor in bedroom and also ceramic tile in kitchen, we got every scrap of of cuts on carpet we could off family to give him a clear walk way on carpet as he was just spread eagling as walking, it helped, but he was ok on the carpet.

Maybe you could get one type on rubber mat and see it it helps, not sure of cost but when I was working I had a rubber mat under my office chair(this came with the chair as special for my back complaint)

Hope you get to sort something out...........hugs to Barnaby
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline howells

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 06:12:50 PM »
Thanks Jaysmumagain,

I'm beginning to thing a rubber mat is the way to go, but I saw on a USA site they were selling something called 'Paw soother' to soften the paws and make them spongier as they are when they are younger. Has anyone heard of this I wonder?

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 08:42:05 PM »
Hi,  my old GSD used to have this problem and as we‘re tiled throughout, we did more or less the same as Jaysmumagain. The food bowls used to stand on large a rubber backed door mat so that the dog, and the bowls, had a good grip. I‘ve not heard of the paw soother, in my dog‘s case I think it was more down to weakness in joints and hips. You might possibly try raising the bowls? If the head is raised, it might help the balance? - just a thought....
Hope you can find a solution, its painful watching them start to struggle, I do sympathise....

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 10:13:26 PM »
Ben used to have this problem as well at about 13 my husband built him a wooden bowl raiser about 6 - 10 inches high to bring his water and food up a bit and this helped he was more balanced when eating. We put silicone mat under the bowls to stop them moving as Ben was also deaf and had poor sight and used to stand there looking befuddled if his bowl had moved  :luv:

I also got cheap runners from Ikea that were very low pile and for some reason he didn't slip on those like he did on lino or longer carpet, i put them down on our kitchen lino, conservatory tiles and across the carpets he struggled with, once he figured out where they were he used them all the time.

I agree with bizzylizzy i think it is general overall weakness rather than paws needing to be spongier, also we tried to keep the hair between Bens pads really short, but he hated us cutting round his feet so quite often we gave in rather than let him get distressed and his feet remained fluffy  :luv:

Hope you can find a solution for Barnaby xx

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 11:35:00 AM »
I bought some of these mats for my tiled hallway and kitchen, you can get various sizes. I like them as they are non-slip and easily cleaned if pooches have an accident.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007ZQACDM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope you can get things sorted for Barney :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline linda c

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 05:58:10 PM »
I also bought the rubber backed mats to go in my tiled kitchen and entrance to the Conservatory for Blue who was 12 and was struggling and had a friend make a raised stand for his food bowl that all worked for him.
Hope you find something that will help Barnaby.

Offline howells

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 12:50:07 PM »
Thank you everyone for your comments. I have bought a yoga/pilates mat (£5) and I am going to cut it down to size. I am hoping this will work, I will report back.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 07:22:53 PM »
Fingers crossed

Offline howells

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 10:58:55 PM »
Good news. Yoga mat works a treat!!!  Thanks everyone for your input x

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 11:01:47 AM »
Great! Glad you‘ve found a solution, 👍

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 12:57:42 PM »
great news and sure Barnaby is enjoying his meals more :luv:

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 01:17:33 PM »
With older dogs I have always fixed their bowl to a wooden block to raise it up and make it easier for them to eat. If Barnaby isn't having to bend so far down to eat he may be less prone to slipping. Worth a try?

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 03:24:30 PM »
I have this raised bowl for Henry, mostly to keep his ears clean. The base is quite heavy and sturdy, and you just pop out the metal bowl to wash it. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dogit-Elevated-Dish-Capacity-Black/dp/B0035H36G0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1517325776&sr=8-2&keywords=raised+food+bowl+for+dogs
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)