Author Topic: Reoccurring behaviours..  (Read 1421 times)

Offline Leo0106

Reoccurring behaviours..
« on: April 05, 2018, 08:28:56 PM »
Hi all, havnt posted in a while but just wanted to pick your brains about something minor.

When Leo was in his teething stage he would do two things-
A)chew his tug/rope toys, the sofa, anything soft.
B)bring in ALOT of stones and pieces of slate from the garden.. never swallowed one. Just appeared to... like it in his mouth..

In the last week these two behaviours have sprung back into life out of the blue. EVERY TIME he goes into the garden, he brings back a slate or stone. And every time I play tug with him he wants to chew it to death with his hind teeth rather than playing.

Any ideas why it might be happening again? It's not a massive issue but wondered whether it was some form of second teething? Maybe he's feeling poorly? Or anxious?

He's 18 months now.

Any ideas appreciated :) Thanks

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
Re: Reoccurring behaviours..
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 06:05:00 AM »
I was told that teeth do not bed in until around the age of 2, 

Chewing is one of those things that many dogs enjoy, you only have to look in any pet shop to see that, how did dogs cope 30 years ago  :005:

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 07:48:00 AM »
Hi its.sme , thankyou for your comment. I was unaware he maybe was still bedding in his teeth although it had gone through my mind. He's also obsessed with eating weeds at the minute (plenty in my garden!) I'm more than happy for him to chew, especially because he now dosnt aim for the sofa or my arm! Found it odd how the behaviours disappeared and have now started again

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 08:39:23 PM »
I've just a Googled Fear Periods in dogs and apparently they can have a second one around 6-14 months, maybe his chewing is connected ?

I agree with you, chew all they like as long as it's there stuff and not the Sofa  :D

Sharon.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 10:31:19 PM »
I may be wrong in this but I think their equivalent of wisdom teeth come in at around 18 months - I’m sure our Groomer (also a long established dog breeder) has told me this   :huh:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 04:09:20 PM »
I was told that teeth do not bed in until around the age of 2, 

Chewing is one of those things that many dogs enjoy, you only have to look in any pet shop to see that, how did dogs cope 30 years ago  :005:

Raw bones from the butcher maybe? altho even 30 years ago, I'm not sure if they were still available, that would be circa 1988.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 08:15:22 AM »
My Marley still chews some things and he's just over two now. I believe he does it because he enjoys it. He often chews his blankets but he also plays with them at the same time. He doesn't chew any of my belongings though which is good. He used to pick up stones but that has now stopped but it has been replaced by carrying mice in his mouth instead. he does chew on grass from time to time.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it but if you do catch him with stones in his mouth try and take them out if you see him doing it.

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 08:45:47 AM »
Thanks all for the helpful comments. I did wonder about a fear stage.. he's recently had a lot of change and a lot of different routines so maybe he feels slightly out of sorts. He's also on antiinflammatories at the minute because of am inflamed hip so the poor mite has a lot going on.
Gazrob I would definately prefer stones to mice!!! So I will endeavour to ensure I keep taking stones out when I see them!
Pearly I did try to Google the equivilant of wisdom teeth as he's defiantly chewing with his back teeth, not shredding anything just intent in getting anything he can chew right to the back of his mouth.

I'll continue to keep an eye :) thanks all again

Offline Gypsysmum

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 03:13:27 PM »
Chewing can be a stress buster for some dogs. A bit like us biting our nails or smoking or reaching for the wine.
Can you find some chew toys to give him? Kongs, stuffed with any food he likes, are good. They can also be frozen if the dog finds that comforting on the teeth and gums. Ian Dunbar recommends we have about seven of them ready stuffed at any one time. You can then swap the Kong for the stone and maybe save a vet's bill?

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 10:33:40 AM »
Hi gypsysmum,
Thanks for your post, Leo loves a frozen kong and we often have a few ready in the freezer at one time. The only problem we have in this respect is that he is on lead rest so we are carefully watching his weight.. And he's bringing about 10 stones in a day and I don't have enough freezer space  :005:
He does however love frozen broccoli so this may be something I use as leverage more often!