Author Topic: Just a little update with chester  (Read 1236 times)

Offline bessymate4eva

Just a little update with chester
« on: April 12, 2018, 01:30:25 PM »
So as you all know we have had a lot of problems with Chesters guarding behaviours. I must admit last time I posted on here we were close to rehoming him due to the amount of incidents of guarding everyday  :'(. Since I have posted we have been trying different things with him. He was struggling with eating as he would sometimes go through most of the day with out eating much at all so we decided to try a different dry food. In the past we have tried lots of different ones but he always got sick of them after a while. Anyway we tried him on the langhams Aldi dry food and he loved it he even had it on its own (We usually give them some meat with their dry). His poos are so much better now too much more solid. We wonder if he had an allergy yo the others. The other thing is or other dog Lucy went into her first season recently so we wanted Chester neutered before she had it. So he has now been neutered and the change in him has been amazing. We never thought neutering would help with behaviour at all but it has with him. I'm not saying that it has cured his guarding as it hasn't. He has still got problems but for us it has been so much easier to manage. He has calmed down quite a bit, he seems to be much more affectionate and attentive . Also before he would guard anything he felt he could including clothes, shoes, space even whole rooms we were on edge every day. He does still guard but nowhere near as much as he was before. We are still trying to give him training to help but he is so much better we are so happy. He's still got a long way to go but starting to get our boy back  :D

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Just a little update with chester
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 02:24:17 PM »
That‘s a great update, I remember how desperate you sounded at one point, you must be very relieved to find things are taking a turn for the better and your experience will, I‘m sure, give reassurance to others in a similar situation and encourage them not to give up on their difficult dogs. Well done!

Offline Gypsysmum

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 03:08:38 PM »
He will have known, long before you did, that your bitch was coming into season and this may well have influenced his behaviour :) Not, as you say, the guarding, but all other aspects because he would have been majorly distracted by his raging hormones.

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 08:50:23 AM »
Awww, I’m so pleased to hear this. Keep up the good work. Love to Chester ❣️
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline hoover

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 09:50:09 AM »
That's great to hear, such a difference when you really get to enjoy your dog again!  We found the same with Ollie after neutering - the day to day bolshiness, constant guarding and body handling issues dramatically reduced. We couldn't get near him in a park if he found food, or a female he wanted to associate with, and he thought nothing of seriously snapping during handling.  Don't get me wrong, we still have real issues with guarding and nervous behaviour at times, but we don't have the constant challenges in so many areas that made daily life such a strain.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 02:57:06 PM »
Glad to hear that things are looking up, long may it continue   :banana:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline bessymate4eva

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 04:58:41 PM »
Glad to hear that things are looking up, long may it continue   :banana:

Lesley and Dylan
That's great to hear, such a difference when you really get to enjoy your dog again!  We found the same with Ollie after neutering - the day to day bolshiness, constant guarding and body handling issues dramatically reduced. We couldn't get near him in a park if he found food, or a female he wanted to associate with, and he thought nothing of seriously snapping during handling.  Don't get me wrong, we still have real issues with guarding and nervous behaviour at times, but we don't have the constant challenges in so many areas that made daily life such a strain.
That‘s a great update, I remember how desperate you sounded at one point, you must be very relieved to find things are taking a turn for the better and your experience will, I‘m sure, give reassurance to others in a similar situation and encourage them not to give up on their difficult dogs. Well done!

[/quote]
Awww, I’m so pleased to hear this. Keep up the good work. Love to Chester ❣️

Thankyou so much everyone. You have all been so supportive and helpful on here. I'm so glad that we stuck with Chester he is doing so much better already and we hope that it continues  :D

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 07:06:16 PM »
That's great news, I remember reading your other post and it sounded like you were all having a tough time.

It sounds like the food aspect could of played a part. Even in humans when very hungry they can act in a different way. So getting a food he likes must of helped.

Well done for helping him as it must of been hard.

Thank you for updating us