Author Topic: Can anyone stop a 'domestic'????  (Read 3132 times)

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Re: Can anyone stop a 'domestic'????
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2006, 08:59:12 AM »
Great pics everyone :luv:

Have to say I like that look a lot :shades:  I wonder if the same effect could be done using thinning scissors?  I normally handstrip Indie and leave her feathering fairly long, but its starting to really affect my allergy big time :-\  So may go for this shorter look, it looks much easier to be keep up with too :shades:

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2006, 10:29:52 AM »
Emma ..I used to do Georgie with the thinning scissors and coat king and must admit it is a better finish  ;)..with having two of them to do .... and they need doing quite often ....have cut the time down by clipping Georgie...I use the scissors and coat king on Daisy stil,l as her coat is easier to manage  :D ..give it a try  ;)

....here's Daisy

Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2006, 10:33:19 AM »
 :D ...forgot to say Rachael ..the handler is G&D's lovely breeder Chris, last year at a meet up  ;) ..the pics were quite big so tried to trim them down so that you could just see the girls...sorry Chris  :005:

Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline kookie

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2006, 10:33:58 AM »
Su, she looks beautiful. :luv:
Love from Karen and Livvy

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2006, 10:40:40 AM »
Emma ..I used to do Georgie with the thinning scissors and coat king and must admit it is a better finish  ;)..with having two of them to do .... and they need doing quite often ....have cut the time down by clipping Georgie...I use the scissors and coat king on Daisy stil,l as her coat is easier to manage  :D ..give it a try  ;)

Awww shes a real sweetheart :luv:

Thanks Sue, will give it a try or may take her the groomers and let them do it first and follow on from there ;)

Penel

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2006, 02:55:31 PM »
I really really really would not clip the body - I used to have Tilly clippered - and got so fed up with it growing back all fluffy that I sacked the groomer and started doing it myself.
Here she is - in need of a groom but you can see that basically she is fairly flat on the body - took years to get it back to that.... she is 7 and a half now.

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2006, 11:06:38 PM »
Penel Tilly looks great!  :luv:

I wish I could cope with Jessies coat myself.....she HATES being groomed by me and Im sure its cos she is spayed and is so woolly so therefore creates matts in a second and then the nasty comb/brush hurts when I try and take them out...and I am very gentle... :-\

The groomers say she is good for them but I expect they say that to everyone lol

Heres how she looks tonight...she was bathed Yesterday so I have almost managed to get all the matts out....but as one is removed another forms...its a lifes work I think!!  >:(

Sorry she has no face...she wouldnt sit still lol

Janey

Offline waisis

• Site Member
  • Mr. Big Paws
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2006, 01:15:06 AM »
Love the pictures.  Very inspiring and I've been working on Bailey's monster coat myself.  What's funny is that my OH is the exact opposite, he loves Bailey's topknot and his furry legs.  I'm about halfway through grooming him, literally...he was walking around with only his front legs done and big hairy back legs!  ::) Well it did take 2.5 hours over 2 nights, 3 plastic bags of fur, and a sore back to get him to that point!
Bailey and Mom

Offline no time for this

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2006, 08:54:34 PM »
My only concern is whether the dog gets too hot? I sold my motorcycle recently and this generally means its going to be a scortcher of a summer, so whats the best cut for a cocker in hot weather, in regards to the dogs comfort?

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2006, 09:31:04 PM »
My only concern is whether the dog gets too hot? I sold my motorcycle recently and this generally means its going to be a scortcher of a summer, so whats the best cut for a cocker in hot weather, in regards to the dogs comfort?

Cockers find plenty of ways to cool down!! Water usually! Jumping in water!! My two have full coats and go out on long walks and they never seem to be overly hot. I always make sure I have plenty of water with me and when we are home I have fans on in the kitchen, but they generally chose to lie on the decking in the sun, if they are too hot they come in and lay somewhere cool. I let them make that desicion for themselves but I personally don't feel they are too hot in their coats in the summer.

Offline Danni n Betty

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2006, 09:59:17 PM »
I hate to humiliate Betyy like this but it must be done to avoid another clipping massacre
It was the first time I'd been to a dog groomers and didnt know what to ask for, so the lady asked if I wanted a 'cocker cut', of course I said yes. I nearly cried when I saw her, where had my fluff monster gone, she looked half the size, and totally humiliated! They had shaved her almost to the skin, and left her feathers on her chest, belly and front legs. I certainly never went back there, and have only started going back to a groomers this year, after I got a recomendation from someone. She now just gets her coat thinned out, it kinda looks layered, her toupe' sorted and her feathers trimmed.

Offline waisis

• Site Member
  • Mr. Big Paws
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2006, 12:28:23 AM »
Well finally a picture, this is my first real attempt to give Bailey a full groom (mainly coat king and scissors).  Had a bit of trouble with his feathering on his front legs...oops, too short, but overall looks OK to me.  This guy's feathering on his legs is so incredibly thick and cottony that I have to clean out the thinning scissors after each snip practically!  Anyways, he looks better from far away HAHA but I can only get better with practice right?!  ;)

By the way, that's him staring intently at a treat on the piano bench with the "leave it" command.  Only way I could get a decent picture of him!
Bailey and Mom

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2006, 07:40:16 PM »

Wow, that is really impressive especially for your first attempt at grooming. Bailey looks really smart - I'm impressed with his "leave it" too.  :shades:

I leave Jimmy and Misty's coats long and have never noticed them overheating either - as was said above, there is always water around for them to cool off in on the really hot days. It can be a pain picking debris out of their coats sometimes but personally I think it is a price worth paying - I quite like picking the sticky willies out their fur but the burrs are really annoying, especially on Jimmy's thick woolly legs.

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2006, 08:29:23 PM »
 :D WOW ...you have done a great job of Bailey  :luv: ...welll done  ;)
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline waisis

• Site Member
  • Mr. Big Paws
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2006, 08:54:17 PM »
Aw shucks, thanks! :blink: Bailey is just relieved he doesn't have to stand on a table again for the next few weeks  :lol:
The "leave it" works fine with his treat b/c he knows he's gonna get it....but "leave it" doesn't work too well with dead birds and other tasty tidbits he finds in the grass!  ph34r ph34r
Bailey and Mom