Author Topic: does everyone trim their own dogs?  (Read 3240 times)

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
does everyone trim their own dogs?
« on: November 30, 2006, 09:08:04 PM »
Hello again! I have got endless combs, brushes etc but I havent bought any equipment to trim my little girly! TBH im a lttle apprehnsive I was never any good on my girls world so I figure I am best to get a proffesional to do it! Ive looked in the book that was kindly donated to me from a col member and it tells you about thining under ears etc but I would be uncomfotable as I would worry I would ruin her coat! What do you guys do?

Much thanks
Tracey x
Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Re: does everyone trim their own dogs?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 09:33:14 PM »
It grows back!

I am such a hacker, that the good groomers on here would probably hack bits off me as punishment for what I do to Buddy, but my philosophy is that I can only get better with practice, and I'm not really all that bothered about him looking perfect, I just want him to be comfy (no matts) and easy to keep clean and dry (feathers thinned out).

Having said all that I do think I have really lost the plot now, and am thinking of heading back to our groomer, telling her some children took the scissors to him (don't dare tell on me Jane! :005:) and running for cover while she finds some kind of order that I can keep to for the next few months.

All in all, this probably hasn't been a very helpful reply, has it? :D

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 10:11:59 PM »
I trim Domino myself; I quite enjoy doing it & I'm afraid of taking him to a clipper-happy groomer that will scalp him!!

I'm lucky because he has a very fine silky coat which is fairly easy to keep tidy although it does seem to mat easily.

However I don't show him ;I just like him to look tidy so I can get away with using a coat king & thinning scissors & I've used some of the photos on C0L to get an idea of how I want him to look. ;)
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline isla

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 10:14:39 PM »
I have a good groomer. TBH I leave it to him. God knows what kind of mess I'd make.

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 10:22:18 PM »
I trim my two and enjoy it  :D..not sure they would say that  :lol:...but they are very good.  I'm not brilliant but I think you definately improve each time you do it.  I tried hand stripping but could never get the hang of it ...wish I could ..it looks sooo much nicer  ;)  I clip Georgie as she has been spayed, but only very lightly and do a lot with thinners and coat king ...and thin and coat king Daisy ...I like them to look like cockers  ;)

The video by Jackie Marris-Bray(AMP productions)  is very good and will give you some good tips ....also some here

...or maybe you could go on a grooming course  ;)...good luck  :D

Edited to reduce size of link  ;)
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 08:29:27 AM »
Coco is 15 months now and she has only been to the groomers twice.  In between, I do it myself to a very low standard  :005:  I just want her to look tidy with no matts and to be easy to keep clean.  I use a Coat King and scissors and it is definitely getting easier - she is becoming more cooperative too.  When she starts to look a right mess or has matts I can't deal with, she will be off to the groomer when I will probably also make up a story about how she got like that! ::)  Practice certainly helps so I would say have a go.  If you are not worried about your girly looking like a show dog and take it gently, you won't do too much damage and, as Annette says, it does grow back!  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 10:17:39 AM »
Busman's holiday for me. Be daft to pay someone else to do them, but at times they are like the cobbler's children going without shoes  ;)  :005:

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 01:49:20 PM »
I trim Storm myself.  Groomers are expensive and most use clippers...so poor Storm has had to put up with me learning on her.

I dont show her, and so do take a few short cuts, but I like to keep her tidy.  One reason I chose the show cocker was for the beautiful coat, and so I trim her more or less in the style of the show dogs.

Like everyone else has said...it does grow back if you make mistakes.  And unless someone points and laughs at the dog they probably dont notice if you have made a couple of little errors.  I hope that with each time I groom Stom I am getting better at it.  (Also means I have been able to play around a bit with the trim to see what I like best on her  ;) )

It might help if you are able to watch someone preparing their dog, or take your dog to them for them to show you.  It helped me being able to watch someone groom their dog so I had a better idea of what I needed to be doing.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 05:06:14 PM »
Groomers are expensive and most use clippers

Would be happier with the word 'Some' in front of the above statement. I like to think I give value for money and I ALWAYS discuss with the owner what is best for the dog, which has occasionally meant persuading them not to have the dog clipped  :o ;)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 05:51:45 PM »
Groomers are expensive and most use clippers

Would be happier with the word 'Some' in front of the above statement. I like to think I give value for money and I ALWAYS discuss with the owner what is best for the dog, which has occasionally meant persuading them not to have the dog clipped  :o ;)

I agree, I've never encountered a groomer that will only clipper - but then, I only pick groomers who own cockers  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 06:01:41 PM »
x
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 06:11:16 PM »
Maybe some of the professional groomers on COL would like to do a course for the rest of us!  These courses seem to be few and far between and I am sure that plenty of us would love to learn how to groom our cockers in between trips to the groomer!  ;)  How 'bout it?  :shades:
Julie and Watson

Offline wilfsaunty

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 07:19:12 PM »
I'm doing my City and Guilds Grooming course at the moment and one of the most frustrating things is that some owners want their dog clipped all over even though I personally think it looks awful (can't stand clipped cockers without feathers or skirts they look so naked).  At the end of the day its the owner that has to live with the dog and if thats what they want (and we can't dissuade them) and that's all they can cope with then thats what they get.  Of all the cockers we've done only one has been thinned. 

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 08:13:55 PM »
Maudie is booked in to be groomed and hand stripped in two weeks in time for Christmas! Its only £2 more than clipping and she gets a lovely bath and her toe nails clipped! She will be a beautiful girl!!!!! ;)
Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline Shelley

• Site Member
  • Melody, Abi, Tia
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 08:44:23 PM »
I am trying to learn how to trim Tia correctly.... Like a little show dog, although she isn't going to be shown! Her breeder says there is only 6 weeks between a good and bad trim ph34r

I have already spent one afternoon with Sandy trying to show me what to do, and I am supposed to be going up over Christmas too, though she might tell me off for what I have done since the last time she saw Tia :005:

It has taken me 10 years to get the Newfs to a reasonable show standard, so I think it will take a while to get my head around doing the little one! But I shall carry on trying to get it right. I actually find it very relaxing having a dog on a grooming table while I brush and trim them :D

Tia, Melody and Abi

RAW FED, CHEMICAL FREE DOGS!