Author Topic: Stained coats  (Read 1195 times)

Offline wend

• Site Member
Stained coats
« on: December 02, 2006, 10:19:21 PM »
Having picked Summer up from the rescue centre I'm not quite sure what to do with her coat. I can't really do anything straight away as she needs to settle in. She is very stained underneath and her ears are really matted and scabby. We have bathed her once so she smells alot better but will the staining come out or does she need to be clippered really short all over and start again. We're taking her to the vets this week to see what the scabs are on her ears. I have combed her body which doesn't seem too bad just very yellow. Any advice!

Offline PennyB

Re: Stained coats
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 12:46:32 PM »
I use baby powder on Wilf. I think its actually the corn starch that does the trick but a lot of baby powders use this.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 01:39:45 PM »
The new hair should grow through white, and so over time the yellowing will decrease?

I used to bath Storm's feathering on her back legs every week when she was young (before she learnt to keep herself clean).  I also used baby wipes to clean the area after she had been outside and that was enough to keep her white. 

You can get shampoos specifically for 'white' coats...have never used one, but I dont know whether that would help with the staining?

Offline rainey f

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 09:47:19 AM »
jo jo was very stained and still is under her chin i,m hoping it will grow out over time.
 she did have a "green leggings and ears" day but that was my fault for letting her cut the lawn with me :005:

post some photo,s as the last one i saw was many tears ta
lorraine and jo jo

Offline tjsheps

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 10:14:37 AM »
Our two were very stained when we got them and the vet gave us some 'hibiscrub' which worked in stopping the urine making the skin sore and removing some staining, and also suggested a very weak solution of peroxide.  The puppy farm smell goes after about 4 baths, in between we rubbed essential oils onto our hands and stroked trough the coat whilst relaxed

tracey

Offline OscarsMum

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 03:13:50 PM »
Which essential oils do you use? Oscar loves being 'massaged' and stroked and I love relaxing aromatherapy smells too!!

Offline tjsheps

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 08:06:58 AM »
I tend to use Geranium or Bergamont, it seems to relax the dogs and make them smell nice at the same time!

Tracey