Author Topic: Docking issue  (Read 6841 times)

Offline Lou1

• Site Member
  • Bailey 10 weeks old
Docking issue
« on: January 26, 2007, 01:36:13 PM »
I cannot believe the reaction I have had from people who meet my Bailey for the first time.  Don't get me wrong, they think he's lovely, however, the first thing they usually say is 'oh he's had he's tail done, I thought that was banned now?' or 'was he already docked before you got him? I've had this reaction from people at work, in the park, at puppy classes etc To be honest I didn't even consider docking at all when I went to get a puppy, I had a Cavalier before so this is the first time I have ever come across this issue.  Thinking about it now, I see so many cockers with full tails and I would have much prefered if Bailey had his full tail.

I feel that people think I am cruel and a supporter of docking because of this and to be honest it is really getting me down and I am so upset about it that I have even considered taking him back to the breeder.When I went to get a puppy originally, I didn't even think about docking at all, I didn't know anything about it.  When I went to see the litter for the first time, they were already docked but I never thought this was abnormal.

I am so upset about this, I have had Bailey for 8 weeks now and I love him, he's a great character.  I don't want to give him back to the breeder, however I don't think I can cope with this reaction from people for the rest of his life, I am really paranoid about it and I don't know what to do. Please help.

Offline dood

• Site Member
Re: Docking issue
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 01:40:12 PM »
I think you just have to have a set speech prepared, deliver it quickly and move on to something else! The docking was nothing to do with you -you yourself say at the time you knew nothing about it so don't give yourself a hard time. Soon the questions will lessen -people always want to talk about a little puppy!
Don't even think of giving back a dog that gives you so much pleasure and is clearly loved! It's not his fault -nor is it yours! ;)

Sam and Poppy xxx

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 01:44:47 PM »
Sorry you feel like that.  Docking is not currently illegal no matter what some less informed people think and spaniels are usually docked os its very common and certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

Don't let other peoples opinions or comments get you down at the end of the day it is not something that you can change and it doesn't change your lovely dog or his temperment.

I work my dogs so they will continue to be docked for preventative health reasons but I do understand why so many people are jumping on a band wagon they know so little about, far too many sheep not enough people thinking for themselves in this country mores the pity.

i hope you continue to enjoy Bailey you can always changed the subject to Jade goody and the race arguement that doesn't exist.

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 01:45:59 PM »
I am very much anti-docking (and our new American Cocker puppy is indeed not docked), but I can't see the point of bringing the puppy back to the breeder. What's done is done! Just tell people that you didn't have a choice as it was already done when you went to see them and that if you had had a choice, you would have left the tail long! But since there is nothing that can be done about it now, they will just have to live with it. Don't let people get you down over this... Bailey is YOUR puppy, tail or not... it is not his fault that the breeder docked him... Enjoy him just the way he is and tell other people to do the same!  ;)

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 01:46:17 PM »
Yes, I think you have to harden yourself to these comment too. There are still many, many cockers with docked tails around and I can't see any good reason for people to be asking you about it.

To be honest any tail comments we get are usually tho opposite "Oh, he's got a tail, I didn't know you could get them with tails. They look a bit odd don't you think?" or something along those lines.

I do think that with your upset about the issue you may be just a little over-sensitive about it now and when people make an innocent comment your subconscious spots it and makes it a bit more important than it really is. We all do that all the time over various things. If you think I'm right about this, all you can do is be aware of it and just keep telling yourself that it's not your problem. Your dog is what he is etc etc.

I agree with Sam, have your "set piece" ready to roll out, deliver it and move on. It's no big deal really is it? (Even if it feels like it is just now!)

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 01:51:47 PM »

All 3 of mine have docked tails and I've never had this reaction.  :huh: In fact quite the opposite - I've had loads of people come up and say "it's so nice to see a Cocker with a docked tail." To be honest I think it's just a conversation starter, they'd probably say "it's so nice to see a Cocker with a full tail" if they were undocked.  :lol:

People say all manner of daft things to me about my dogs, there's no point in getting paranoid about it, I just laugh it off. As I say, the weird comments are usually just a conversation starter.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 01:54:28 PM »
I agree with Sam, have your "set piece" ready to roll out, deliver it and move on. It's no big deal really is it? (Even if it feels like it is just now!)

I agree too - and maybe you can highlight the fact that it is far more responsible to have a docked reputably bred puppy from health screened parents than an undocked puppy from a commercial breeder  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Lynn

• Site Member
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 01:55:07 PM »
 i dont think you should take your lovely puppy back  you had no choice in the matter and that is what i would say to people who question you  it is still not against the law to dock  i dont know why people are bothering you  if it was me i would tell them to mind business  :005:
lynn

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 01:58:02 PM »
roll out a set piece response about the legality of docking, and when the law will be enforced -  he is a beautiful dog regardless of being docked or not docked ;) and there's no way you should be considering taking him back when nothing illegal has occurred.

i'm getting it a bit too with jarv's *modelling* career (or early demise of career  :005: :shades:) - docked (even long docks) dogs are not wanted by ad agencies anymore  :-\  i've told him not to get a complex ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 01:59:51 PM »
I think you just have to have a set speech prepared, deliver it quickly and move on to something else! The docking was nothing to do with you -you yourself say at the time you knew nothing about it so don't give yourself a hard time. Soon the questions will lessen -people always want to talk about a little puppy!
Don't even think of giving back a dog that gives you so much pleasure and is clearly loved! It's not his fault -nor is it yours! ;)

quite agree. In future just tell peeps that he was docked long before you were aware he was born, but it was done legally!

Aidee is docked and he's just a couple of weeks younger than Bailey. I've not had anyone comment to me about his tail at all. George and Linus are docked and Harmy was. The only comments I get about tails is how much they wagg :005:

Of course I love when people make lovely comments about my boys, but I really dont care if they dont either. I love them to bits and thats all that matters ;) Dont let it get to you :D

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 02:00:58 PM »

I agree too - and maybe you can highlight the fact that it is far more responsible to have a docked reputably bred puppy from health screened parents than an undocked puppy from a commercial breeder  :-\

Not all undocked pups are from commercial breeders though, thankfully ;)

I would just ignore them, their opinions count for nothing, tell them to mind their own bloody business :005:  Clearly they are jealous of your gorgeous baby ;)

Enjoy your puppy :shades:

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 02:04:52 PM »
I agree, I think you just have to harden yourself to it and have a set speech to give people.

My two have full tails and I get sooooo many people saying about Bella (cos she's blue roan but most of her tail is bright white), "oh, I thought she had a bandage on!"  :005: I also met a guy with two very overweight docked cockers a few weeks back who basically didn't believe that Bella could possibly be a pedigree, KC registered cocker because she had a full tail!  ::)

So I think it works both ways. Personally I prefer them with tails but like Annette said, there are lots and lots of spangles with docked tails and they're just as lovely.  :luv:
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 02:22:26 PM »

Not all undocked pups are from commercial breeders though, thankfully ;)

Oh, I know - perhaps I didn't word it very well  ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2007, 02:44:47 PM »
I have one docked and one undocked. I have had a few people comment on why I have one of each but I just say that was how they were when I got them. I love both mine, tail on no tail and they both wag what they have with a ferocity that will take your eye out so thay don't care either.

Tell these people to mind their own business and enjoy your gorgeous pup.  ;)
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 03:04:35 PM »
To be honest any tail comments we get are usually tho opposite "Oh, he's got a tail, I didn't know you could get them with tails. They look a bit odd don't you think?" or something along those lines.

I agree with the others; Domino has a full tail which has occasionally been commented on as per Annette's quote but most of the time I found that people don't tend to mention it much.

I suppose you should be thankful that they recognise that Bailey is actually a cocker spaniel - my next door neighbours thought Domino was a collie cross!! :huh: :huh:
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)