Author Topic: Which brush?  (Read 1474 times)

Offline waisis

• Site Member
  • Mr. Big Paws
Which brush?
« on: January 29, 2007, 02:01:52 AM »
I try to brush Bailey regularly b/c his coat gets matted really easily and is SOOOO thick, but wasn't sure if I should be using a slicker brush or a pin brush (metal with rounded balls at the end) for regular brushing.  With the slicker brush, is there anyway I can actually scratch his skin or hurt him as I've accidently scratched myself with the brush MANY times and it's not nice.  I think he must feel it at times, because he has this funny habit of kicking his leg when you scratch him with your fingers in certain areas and he does this too as I'm brushing him with the slicker brush.  I also find that the slicker doesn't actually get through the matts that well, even though I lift up his fur and brush layer by layer.  Any advice?  Does anyone else just use the pin brush for day to day brushing?
Bailey and Mom

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Which brush?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 02:37:56 AM »
I personally use a slicker for almost all my brushing, and yes, you can give them "slicker burn" from using it too vigorously. I find the slicker takes out a lot of the dead hairs and undercoat.

When slickering, you not only have to work layer by layer, but from the ends of the hair, inward toward the root. (about 2-3 strokes) When you start at the root of the hair and just keep pulling is when the dog can get burned.

When I de-mat with a slicker I hold the mat in my left palm and work from the end/tip of the mat in toward the body. Takes patience!

I use a pin brush as a "finishing" brush, after the slicker work is done. I know from experience with my own hair that the ones that have the balls on the end catch and pull the hair  :-\ Try to find a pin brush that does not have the balls on the tips.

Hope this helps a little
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 08:29:15 AM »
Have you tryed a Rotating comb there very good,the teeth rotatein a full circle removing knots and dead coat  :blink:
Pets at home sell them i think and also this link does

http://www.ourpetshop.co.uk/Training/CombswithRotatingTeeth.htm

HTH   :D

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 10:14:16 AM »
If the pins are sharp try running it down the outside wall of your house - against the bricks. This can file the ends off a bit and makes them less sharp ;)

But deffo follow the advice above about working from the ends of the coat up towards the root - don't try from the root out ie one sweep of the slicker/comb, or you will make any knots far worse and create matts ;)

Some dogs have coats that knot more easily than others and similarly some that de-knot easier too. My Jasper's coat is by and large a dream froom that perspective (although it has gone very fluffy and more curly thanks to the coat king). If it does get knotty they usually come out easily whereas Buddy is totally different and he is also a big wuss and hates being brushed too which doesn't help. The key is to use a good conditioner after bathing and spraying diluted conditioner on between baths too. Try using a detangler spray - I know some people find them effective - I don't but I think that's just me. Try and keep the coat really well conditioned and that helps stop knots in the first place but makes them easier to remove too.

I also find that if there are some knots/matts that wont brush out then I bath them and put undiluted conditioner into a washing up/squirty type bottle, and squirt it right into the middle of the knot/matt.  Leave it to soak in for a few minutes only lightly rinsing out. Then I leave it to dry and try again - this often helps. The knack is not to work at the knot/matt too much or you just make it worse.

Another trick is to use a matt splitter and break the matt down into several smaller ones that may then tease out with a slicker.

I don't use a comb as I find that makes them worse and pulls more than a slicker - but again - that's prob just me and the way I use the comb ;)

hth
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline waisis

• Site Member
  • Mr. Big Paws
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 10:49:46 PM »
Oops, I totally forgot I had asked a question and didn't check for a few days!  Thanks for getting back to me  :D  I didn't know you were supposed to work the slicker going towards the body...hmmm, will try that.  I use a comb sometimes too, but it "catches" quite a bit when there is a snag and Bailey does not like that one bit.  I do the conditioner thing for the de-matting, and thanks for the suggestions re: dulling the ends of the slicker.
Bailey and Mom

Offline waisis

• Site Member
  • Mr. Big Paws
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 06:57:19 PM »
I tried using the slicker from the ends up towards the roots in short strokes.  I must be doing something wrong as all that does is fluff up his coat like I'm teasing or back combing it.  Then it looks like I made a beehive or something  :o...  I'll do a search on the web for some "visual" guidance on what you guys are talking about.
Bailey and Mom

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 07:05:41 PM »
I think what they have been suggesting is to still brush the hairs from the skin end to the end end (if you see what I mean!), but to maybe do the farthest inch - get that matt-free, and move on to the next inch or so (in toward the skin level) until, by doing it bit by bit you have done the full length of the hair.

It's all news to me, I've been using it all wrong  ph34r. But that's how I read it. Hope one of them will come along and put us right ;)

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 02:43:02 PM »
imagine a human with long hair all tangled....start at the very ends of the hair getting the knots out and then work your way up the strands towards the root, but still combing in the direction of growth getting a bit of the knot out at a time. same with the slicker. does that make sense :-\

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline waisis

• Site Member
  • Mr. Big Paws
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 07:25:15 PM »
Oh duh!  I get it now...I thought the overall direction was to go toward the roots and that just wasn't working well HAHA :lol:  Will have to re-read the previous messages with the correct way in mind now.  Thanks!
Bailey and Mom

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 08:35:38 PM »
Oh duh!  I get it now...I thought the overall direction was to go toward the roots and that just wasn't working well HAHA :lol:  Will have to re-read the previous messages with the correct way in mind now.  Thanks!

Actually, I'd like to see your dog all back-combed! :005:

Sorry, not mocking, I wasn't sure what the instructions meant either, until you reported back!

Offline waisis

• Site Member
  • Mr. Big Paws
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 08:42:01 PM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:  Well, you see the white furry part of Bailey's hood in the picture...imagine he looked exactly like that all over!  I was definitely getting there  ;)
Bailey and Mom

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 08:58:12 PM »
imagine a human with long hair all tangled....start at the very ends of the hair getting the knots out and then work your way up the strands towards the root, but still combing in the direction of growth getting a bit of the knot out at a time. same with the slicker. does that make sense :-\

That's exactly it! Good description, Supaspaniel!

:lol: :lol: :lol:  Well, you see the white furry part of Bailey's hood in the picture...imagine he looked exactly like that all over!  I was definitely getting there  ;)

:lol: :lol:
Took me a minute to realize that was fur on the hood, and not a topknot that had been backcombed!  :005:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Shelley

• Site Member
  • Melody, Abi, Tia
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 10:09:34 PM »
I had a slicker for Tia, but her fur is so fine that she flinched everytime it went through her fur, and I was careful not to do it hard! So I bought a pin brush.... She loves being brushed with that, in fact while she is lying on me in the evening I am brushing her.... It is very relaxing ;)

Tia, Melody and Abi

RAW FED, CHEMICAL FREE DOGS!

Offline waisis

• Site Member
  • Mr. Big Paws
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 11:25:12 PM »
I ran my slicker brush over the bricks of my house as suggested (kinda funny to be giving my house a good scratching  :005: :005:) and it's been great!  The pins have definitely gotten more dull and doesn't scratch me (or Bailey) when we get close to the skin.  I'm persevering with the slicker brush and it seems to be going alright.  I also started rubbing some V05 hairdressing ointment (not sure if everyone knows what it is, but it's nice and oily/lubricating) into Bailey's coat before I brushed him and that's been helping lots.  I assumed anything good for conditining human hair should be fine for the doggy...
Bailey and Mom