Author Topic: How do you deal with the guilt  (Read 1427 times)

Offline jakesmum

• Site Member
How do you deal with the guilt
« on: September 03, 2007, 11:55:35 AM »
Jake came home on Saturday and I was meant to have a few days off to settle him in, but I've had to come into work today as one of my colleagues is off sick.

So, I've left Jake home alone for the first time and I feel absolutely horrible about it - I can't stop thinking about how sad and lonely he'll be and how much noise he might be making.

He was used to being left with his mum and sister and was apparently fine, but I'm counting the seconds until lunch so I can go home and spend some time with him.

How do you deal with the guilt?

UPDATE:
Yep, had left him a chewy and some toys, plus left the radio on.
I went home at lunch and he was absolutely fine - happily lying in his bed chewing his toy. Mind you, he'd done his business all over the floor...not even near the tray - that's revenge for you! He wanted loads of cuddles, but when it was time to return to work he quite happily went back into his bed with minimal noise and fuss. Phew, am feeling much better now....but roll on 5pm!

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
Re: How do you deal with the guilt
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 11:59:45 AM »
Sorry I don't have any advice about how to deal with the guilt.  I'm having the same problem at the moment, ours are being left longer than usual due to work committments.

They never get cross with me for going and are just pleased to see me when I get back.  I'm the same though and hate leaving them, I also count the minutes until lunchtime when I leave work.

Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline Vino tinto !

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 12:02:11 PM »
Oh poor you  :'(  did you leave a radio on for him and some cuddles around and a chewy, even the telly !! Oh you must be desperate I know I would be {hugs } for you !! Sure he will be sleeping like a baby .................

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 12:23:30 PM »
did you leave a radio on for him and some cuddles around and a chewy, even the telly !!

Agree, ours had a big squidgy cuddly toy to snuggle up to. Could you have a friend pop in for him, to reassure you as much as him? I'm sure he will be fine though if you're managing to get back at lunch. Becareful not to overcompensate though when you get in or as you are leaving as it is no good in regard to seperation anxiety.

I severly p-ed my boss off this morning by being and hour and twenty mins late because of Wherry  :-\
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline AnnaCatherine

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 03:33:16 PM »
Give it a a couple of days and you'll feel better.  Pippin is now 15 weeks and we left him to go out to work 3 days after him arriving.  I was planning on being off for most of the summer to be with him however the breeder advised that he gets used to the 'normal' situation as quickly as possible.  The first week was horrible, I felt like crying in work because I felt so awful leaving him however now I know that he is perfectly happy.  he sleeps when we are out and is chuffed to bits when we're home.  I do the same as you - leaving the radio on and returning at lunch. 

Don't worry too much, your puppy will be absolutely fine and soon you'll feel much better too - promise! :D

AnnaCatherine
AnnaCatherine

Offline allym

• Site Member
  • Grrrrrrrrr!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 03:39:44 PM »
Honestly, don't feel too guilty!  I used to, but then I realised that all Henry does when I'm out is sleep!  Plus, it's important that Jake gets used to being on his own and it's so much easier when they're little.  He'll be fine! 

xx
Ally and Henry the Hound xx

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 04:03:24 PM »
I've only just caught this, I remember when I first had to leave Fern and I wished I had a web cam set up so I could see what she did, but then I thought maybe its better not to know as I can't do a thing about it!  It will get easier - we used to have the tv on but now its just the radio, but not too loud just enough to distract from other noises - we also shut the hall door so she doesn't hear cars pulling up next door.  We leave her with a kong and she is so pleased to get that she takes no notice when we leave and when we get back we know she is sound asleep because she doesn't hear us coming!  Then she greets us with tremendous enthusiasm.  She is just over 2 now though so things have really settled down - fortunately though with OH shift work she's not on her own much.  It will get better, and its good to get them used to it from an early age.  We were told not to leave hide chews in case of choking and we don't leave any of the toys she can chew bits off (which is most of them) just in case she choked.  She just gets her Kong.  She used to have a rope toy though that we left with her in her cage as a comfort.
Caroline & Sam RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x

Offline pinkcarys

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 06:03:08 PM »
Luckily I don't have to leave him to go to work but I try to leave him once a day, even if only half an hour, so that he gets used to it. I leave him with a couple of chewy toys in his bed in a crate and he has got better and better. Its me that gets upset!   I took my friend to Ikea and by the time we were at the checkouts I was out of my mind! I kept saying, "That queue looks shorter" and "Are you sure you want to check out the seconds hall" in an effort to make it quicker. In the end I've decided I'm doing him a favour by leaving him as he gets some alone time and learns to be on his own.
"My aim in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am"

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 06:08:31 PM »
we've been off for the summer holidays and tried to leave sam for 2 hours every day so he doesn't get too reliant on us being there. he's fine though we've done two trips to the beach and my neighbour looks after him and he never whines-just sleeps.

we went out last night at seven by ten i was trying to get a taxi home :005: got one at 11, sam didn't even flinch when we walked in. he lay in his bed and looked at us then turned around and made himself comfy :005:

Offline JHMB

• Site Member
  • Bailey & Tia
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 06:33:29 PM »
I'm so glad I caught this thread.  :blink:  I've being going through exactly the same with Bailey, and though I haven't left him longer than 2hrs, was driving to work considering if I could afford to go part time!  :005: 

I've been very lucky so far and after barking for 5/10 mins he went to sleep again (i think I spent more time listening for him then he did for me before I could leave for work  :005:)   I've left the tv/radio on too - didn't know if I wanted a Terry Wogan fan or Jonathan Ross so I'm varying it now!! 

At least I don't feel alone now with this - still feel guilty though so only hope it gets less!!!!
Julie, Bailey, Tia, & Pebbles

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 06:44:54 PM »
was driving to work considering if I could afford to go part time!  :005: 

I was exactly the same!!!  :lol: Then work said I could do half days at home whenever I felt the need which was a lifesaver (for my sanity anyway!)  ph34r

Me and OH have recently chatted about the sleep thing with other people and we have come to the understanding that at least when they are alone they get a good quality sleep, whereas when we are home, although they may be asleep, it is a very light sleep and they follow you around, so not really getting much rest!  It makes me feel better anyway! :D
Caroline & Sam RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x

Offline CJ

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 09:10:12 PM »
it's difficult at first but they soon get used to it.  I work in town, 5 mins drive or 20 mins walk away and my colleagues know that I come home at lunch for the dogs and meeting or no meeting I go for lunch at 12.30!!

Teal is so used to the routine, that the odd day out I have, my Dad comes to let Teal out and she races round the garden, makes a fuss of him then goes back in her den with a "make with the biscuits then Grandad" before she even has a wee. the little tinker.  It's a case of as long as someone lets her out for a wee at lunchtime and gives her a biccie she is happy.  Mind you, she gets a good walk in the morning and another at night.

Don't fret.  I bet you are more upset than the puppy.  The little one will soon get used to being left. 

Offline CJ

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2007, 09:11:32 PM »
it's difficult at first but they soon get used to it.  I work in town, 5 mins drive or 20 mins walk away and my colleagues know that I come home at lunch for the dogs and meeting or no meeting I go for lunch at 12.30!!

Teal is so used to the routine, that the odd day out I have, my Dad comes to let Teal out and she races round the garden, makes a fuss of him then goes back in her den with a "make with the biscuits then Grandad" before she even has a wee. the little tinker.  It's a case of as long as someone lets her out for a wee at lunchtime and gives her a biccie she is happy.  Mind you, she gets a good walk in the morning and another at night.

Don't fret.  I bet you are more upset than the puppy.  The little one will soon get used to being left.