Author Topic: Umbilical hernia  (Read 4147 times)

Offline Bev_M

• Site Member
Umbilical hernia
« on: September 13, 2007, 11:51:12 AM »

Just had Hamish to vets today for check up and first jab, only to be told he has an umbilical hernia. It is nice and soft and vet says he is not worried but that he may need an operation when he is older.

Anyone out there had a dog with a similar problem?

Thanks

Offline Bev_M

• Site Member
Re: Umbilical hernia
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 11:56:03 AM »

whoops this should have gone in heath - hopefully someone will be around to move it soon!

Offline Teisen_bach

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 12:01:57 PM »
Yes Teisen has one...she had her first jab last week and our vet says when we have her spayed he will sort it out then but i dont know what would happen if we left it or what problems it may cause  :-\......id be interested in any other replys to  ;)
Hugs from Jue & Teisen bach xx

Offline Ailsa

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 01:09:50 PM »
My SIL's bearded collie had one - she had it operated on, but as far as I am aware in most cases it does not cause any problems.

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 06:41:23 PM »
I met a basenji last year with an umbilical hernia. He was over six months and had no problems with it. I don't know if he ever needed surgery, but I can't see how he would need an operation as long as it didn't bother him. Which it didn't :blink:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 06:49:32 PM »
Molo has had one since he was a pup - it has never been corrected, as he has never had abdominal surgery and it doesn't cause any problems  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 08:43:54 PM »
Ben has one too.  The vet said it was just fat poking through and that it would be repaired when he was castrated!  I had no plans to castrate at the time  ::)

He did however get 'done' and they didn't repair the hernia as the hole in the muscle wall was so small - he still has his little hazlenut sized hernia which doesn't bother him in the slightest  ;)

Cazzie

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 08:51:58 PM »
have seen this a few times. Every pup i know who has had one was sold at a reduced price.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 08:55:25 PM »
have seen this a few times. Every pup i know who has had one was sold at a reduced price.

Why?
Oldies Club

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 09:18:34 PM »

Why?

It is advised by the vet not to breed from the bitch with this and also it's gonna cost money for you to have it operated on

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 09:25:19 PM »

Why?
It is advised by the vet not to breed from the bitch with this and also it's gonna cost money for you to have it operated on

Responsible breeders endorse their pups anyway, so future breeding prospects won't be a consideration  :-\
Oldies Club

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 09:43:16 PM »
I did tell Ben's breeder but she said that she honestly hadn't noticed (I hadn't either) and didn't seem to think it was a problem .............. and it hasn't been!  She also said that there was no history and that all the other pups seemed fine.

Ben is a worker though so was going no where near the show ring which makes a difference I think.  Show dogs must have no hernia or repair as far as I know (probably wrong but just something I remember reading).

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 09:56:32 PM »
Barney had one and I remember starting a thread on here in sheer panic.

My friend actually found it, Barney's wasn't apparent unless he was stood up.  I took him straight to the vet, she said sometimes its possible to push them back up and they stay up of their own accord, but Barney's wouldn't push up at all.
His was repaired when he was castrated. It didn't cause him any problems prior to having it done, and none since.

I really wouldn't worry, just keep an eye on it just in case it changes at all but I can honestly say (and this is from the original and worst Miss Worrywart) there really isn't anything to panic about.  ;)

Show dogs must have no hernia or repair as far as I know (probably wrong but just something I remember reading).

I believe that to be correct Debbie, or at least thats what I was told.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Bev_M

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 11:10:50 PM »

thanks everyone for your replies

I plan on getting Hamish castrated so will ask if it can be fixed then

Offline Gpalin

• Site Member
  • My Baby Floyd
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2007, 09:48:39 PM »
Sorry just seen this my charlie (cavalier) has got one since he was a baby apparentley it's something to do with how there mum bit off the umbilical cord. Luckily charlies stopped getting bigger but if it had carryed on they may have to have operated but it's causing him no problems and i forget it's there.

My breeder never told me about it at all  :-\ I saw it on his vets notes when I was looking through all the stuff he had given to me  ::). I was worried sick at first but after speaking to the vet I was relieved  :blink:
Gemma,gorgeous Floyd and cutey Charlie xxxxxxx
www.myspaniel.co.uk
'without a doggy in my world, life would be boring'