Author Topic: Blasted Kennels  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Blasted Kennels
« on: September 20, 2007, 03:12:18 PM »
Took Kali to the vets for her follow up appointment today and her temperature is still up.  I did tell the vet that I didn't think she was 100% because she still doesn't run up and down the stairs like before.  So, yet more Metacam and another week of Ronaxan.  Again the vet said that if I hadn't given her the KC vaccine, she could have been a lot worse than she is :-\  I could cheerfully strangle the kennels if she got it from there >:(  Still, she is a lot better so I am thankful for small mercies :blink: :blink:  My poor purse.........
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Blasted Kennels
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 03:19:27 PM »
So sorry that Kali is still not fully recovered - I'm sure the drugs will do their job soon  :-\

Again the vet said that if I hadn't given her the KC vaccine, she could have been a lot worse than she is :-\ 

Sorry to be dim, but what does the vet mean by that, Sheryl?   the Kennel Cough vaccine only covers for one strain of the virus, so does Kali have a mild strain of that one, or something totally different?   :huh:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 03:38:16 PM »
Rachel, I have not the first clue :005:  She is only a young whippersnapper, hardly out of nappies.  To be honest, I think she meant that if I hadn't had her vaccinated then she may have got a more serious strain.  I didn't ask :embarassed:  I have tried to look it up because you have me wondering now and I did find a site that said your dog can still get the Bordatella Bronchiseptica after vaccination but that the cough may not be as bad and the time they have it is lessened.  Kali never had a cough, just sneezing and a nose running like a tap and high fever :-\  I am not going back to ask, it would cost me another £15 :005:

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 03:59:14 PM »
I'm rubbish at explaining things. But maybe this make it clearer: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1556&articleid=452
Or maybe you've allready read it, either way it's an exellent site for any medical question.
Kennel cough is a complicated thing with many different infectious agents, makes it hard to avoid completely.
Like my vet said in his very special english-hungarian accent after giving Laurië her last vaccination: "Now she will get sick, but she will not die".
So I guess that means your dog is protected against the worst of the kennel cough. I'm sure she'll be fine before you know it.
Laurië spent allmost 4weeks on antibiotics before she got well, I was really worried, but I shouldn't have been as long as I was doing the follow ups at the vet.

I hope Kali responds to the meds soon! It's an awful feeling when they are sick!

Offline Boof

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 05:11:25 PM »
Poor Kali, I hope she feels better soon. x

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 05:27:00 PM »
Poor Kali! I'm so sorry she's not feeling good - lots of TLC and rest and keep her nice and warm.

Gentle cocker nuzzles from Bella & Zorro xxx
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 06:20:56 PM »
I do hope the meds start to take effect and she is feeling better very soon.
Claire

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 06:23:53 PM »
Aww poor baby, hope the second lot of meds can make her feel better ...(((hugs))) for you both x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 06:28:32 PM »
I doubt if any dog is protected against the worst Kennel cough.

The vaccine can't cover all the strains - new strains are appearing every year...and as Rachel says, it doesn't protect them for every strain.

To me the vet sounds like he's trying to justify the KC vacs  - who knows what Kali would have been like without it and how she would have reacted.

squidges to Kali and lots of healing thoughts.

Was Holly in Kennels too?  If so you would think that an older dog would be affected more greatly than a young whipper snapper?
helen & jarvis x

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 06:40:46 PM »
Was Holly in Kennels too?  If so you would think that an older dog would be affected more greatly than a young whipper snapper?

Very often older dogs immune systems are more "developed", as through exposure to various things they have developed immunity. Often in the case of kennel cough if they have had it before they don't get it again.

Sending healing thoughts to Kali  :luv:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 06:46:12 PM »
I was refering to the vet when I said whipper snapper :005: :005:  Yep, Holly was there too.  They weren't in together as Holly attempts to take chunks out of Kali now and then ph34r  Holly was by the door but Kali was further down the kennel building.  Holly goes in regularly as they love her there and take real good care of her.  They have a soft spot for old blind girls I guess.  Holly actually cries to get in the kennel :huh:  She has had kennel cough from there already when some kind soul had their dog vaccinated when it already had it!  The only difference I can think of is that Holly has a regular KC vaccination because she is always there whereas Kali only had it because she was going in this one time.  Beats me :-\

Offline bella15

• Site Member
  • Cody
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 09:51:49 AM »
Poor Kali - not a nice thing to have caught hope she gets over it soon :luv:

before we went to Scotland four weeks ago,the kennels  we use had phoned us up to inform us that a couple of dogs that had stayed there had the KC, they asked if ours were vaccinated which they were,so having no other option being that close to our holiday all four dogs went in but luckily for us things turned out ok.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 11:01:13 AM »
Poor Kali, we're still thinking of you all. Has the package arrived yet?
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 11:21:14 AM »
Yes :luv: :luv:  Thanks so much.  Was going to phone but with the bad heads I haven't felt like conversing much!  It is great.  Money on the way asap.  Thanks Karen :-*