Author Topic: the operation  (Read 1632 times)

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
the operation
« on: September 19, 2007, 02:39:39 PM »
bonnie boo is shortly going to have the operation(spayed). i was just wondering if there is any advice about post op procedures?
how long will recovery take and any special treatment(apart from lots of T.L.C?
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet

Offline BettyBoo

• Donator
Re: the operation
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 08:59:34 PM »
How old is Bonnie Boo?
Our first dog was spayed at 11 months and she was a bit groggy the first night but otherwise it didn't seem to affect her. She had some scrambled egg when we brought her home and then straight back onto her normal food the next day.
The vet said no off lead exercise until the stitches came out a week later but it was hard to stop her jumping around inside the house. And she hated the lampshade thing she had to wear. (watch out for your shins if Bonnie Boo has to wear one)
Betty's going in next month and she'll only be 5 months so I'm a bit concerned about her 'cos she still seems so small.
Hope everything goes well.

Barbara
Barbara, Betty & Millie x

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 10:15:40 PM »
Kali wasn't too happy for a while but that was because she got really sensitive at the wound site.  Not uncommon I believe but rare enough happily!  My only problem after about 5 days was stopping her from doing the wall of death round the furniture ph34r
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline beebee

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 11:04:09 PM »
Maisy had the op at 6 months and only had 3 stitches never bothered her and she never tried to get to them in fact you wouldn't have even known she'd had an op the way she acted! I didn't walk her for 6 days and then on a lead. She jumped in to the car after the op ph34r and then ran up the stairs at home and jumped on to the bed ph34r ph34r but fortunately she was fine and recovered really well. hope its the same for you. :D

Offline popsy

• Site Member
  • im so tired
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 08:11:07 AM »
poppy was done at 6 months, she was like the others you cant stop them jumping up on furniture and things but she was fine, she did have a bit of swelling the week later but antibiotics cleared it up.

it was like heaven when she came home because she never moved out of her bed till the next day  :005: then back to normal  >:(  :lol:

hope she goes on ok  ;)

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 09:27:58 AM »
Oh and I got her a childs tee shirt from Tesco.  I didn't even attempt to put the lampshade on her because I knew she wouldn't have any of it!

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 06:05:23 PM »
bonnie will be about 13 months when she goes in.she has had one season. it was the lampshade i was worried about and i don't even know if she will have to wear one.the tee shirt seems a good idea. thanks for your advice i am sure she will be ok but you cant help worrying.
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 06:25:18 PM »
Kali was older than that I think and heading for her second season when she had it done.  She weighed 10.2kg and I put her in a childs tee shirt.  Age 7-9 years if I remember rightly.  Can't say she was impressed with the shirt either but once it is on, it is on and nowhere near as cumbersome as the lampshade! :blink:

Offline BettyBoo

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 07:59:47 PM »
I like the t-shirt idea.  :D Think I'll try that one with Betty.
Barbara, Betty & Millie x

Offline debrand

• Site Member
  • My angels Barney 2004-08 and Jet 2005-09
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 08:24:37 PM »
When Milly had her op she had the lampshade opn and hated it. We took it off and she never bothered with her stitches thankfully. She bounced back as soon as she recovered from the anaesthetic. Hopefully Bonnie will do the same- but they do look pathetic immediately after.  :luv:

Offline sallyb

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 12:09:52 PM »
My Poppy's just had the op (last Monday) at 8 months but no season.

She was really quiet for the first night and then  - back to normal.

So far she has completely ignored the stitches so we haven't bothered with the collar.
I think the T shirt is a much better idea.