Author Topic: Clippers  (Read 1964 times)

Offline Lea

• Site Member
Clippers
« on: November 30, 2003, 10:18:26 PM »
Hellooo again.
Havnt been on for a while as my computer got a virus and only got it back on Wed.
Beano my Am Cocker is now looking rather whiskery. I need to trim him asap. But one problem., I have not been able to find and clippers. I am willing to spend up to about £50 (too close to xmas for any others, can get some more after xmas if need be) Dawn(owner of a ACS) has suggested the ones from agros, but Gwen(breeder of ACS) has said they will burn out with an Am's coat.
Can anyone give me some more view points before I go and part with my money soon???????????
Thankyou.
Lea :)                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Clippers
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2003, 10:49:33 PM »
Hi Lea, you haven't missed much as the site has been down for about the last 2 weeks :cry:
Anyway about clippers, I wouldn't bother with the Argos ones as your breeder friend is right, they wouldn't cope with an American coat. Unless you can get hold of a good second hand pair, I don't think you'll find much for £50. Here is a link for some that cost just over £100 and they are what I use 5 days a week  :)  so I can recommend them

www.wahl.co.uk then click on animal, and then clippers. Details are as follows
MODEL: KM-1 Mains Clipper

Mains rotary motor, lightweight, professional clipper
Extremely robust with 35 Watt motor
Chromium-plated, precision-ground professional interchangeable blades made of hardened steel
Extensive range of snap-on blades available
Made in Germany
Retail Price £104.99

Hope this helps
Michele  :D                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Clippers
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2003, 10:55:07 PM »
Gwen is right Lea - those cheapo clippers from Argos will not be able to cope with a Yank's coat for very long! You'd be better off saving up for some good quality ones - it will be money well spent in the end as good clippers will last a long, long time & will be a pleasure to use. If you want a recommendation, I am very pleased with my Wahl KM1 (bought after Michele highly recommended them on here). My old clippers (Oster A5) are also a good make but they couldn't cope with neutered Cocker coats :wink:                    
Jane

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Clippers
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2003, 10:55:52 PM »
Ooh you beat me to it Michele :lol:                    
Jane

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
Clippers
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2003, 02:36:07 PM »
I agree with the others, you won't get much with 50£. I am very pleased with my Andis (AGC 2speed). I paid around 120£ (in finland) for that. It's the best! It never heats up, it's light in use and very quiet too  :) . I have used it to groom my parents spayed (black, with excessive hair growth ;) ) cockerbitch, and it works fine even for her!                    
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline Lea

• Site Member
Clippers
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2004, 11:30:39 AM »
Thanks For the replies. Afraid I had to go and get some normal clippers, just to keep ontop of his coat.  :oops: Now saving up for some good ones. Thought I would look properly when I go to crufts in March. That way, I will be able to choose the ones right for me!!!! But will deffinatly have in mind will have to spend well over £100 for them.
Thankyou again  :)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Clippers
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2004, 12:08:33 PM »
Thought I would look properly when I go to crufts in March. That way, I will be able to choose the ones right for me!!!! But will deffinatly have in mind will have to spend well over £100 for them.
Thankyou again  :)  

That's a good idea Lea, quite often you get special deals :wink: at the shows and can also negotiate better blades - ie the right length for your own dog. They are also very good at giving advice and letting you hold the different clippers. My friend got some Oster A5s with a Cocker blade for £95 at Leeds last summer. :D                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional