Author Topic: which way to groom!???  (Read 776 times)

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
which way to groom!???
« on: October 09, 2007, 04:57:39 PM »
Hi folks. Little Lily needs a haircut but I dont want to muck it up by clipping her. She is 1 yr and 4 months. I do a bit of mobile dog grooming but only with moser clippers and scissors. Always did my 11yr cocker this way but he is a huge fluffball and always has been so its the best way. Lily, on the otherhand, has a lovely sleek coat and I dont want to clip it off only for it to come back different. I dont think I have the patience for handstripping, gave up on it at grooming course  :embarassed: so is a coat king plus scissors/thinning scissors the best way to keep her trimmed? I'd like her top knot and back a lot shorter but with some feathering left on her chest, legs and undersides. Any advice would be gratefully received! Ta

Jo

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Slave of Baxter

• Site Member
  • Baxter A.K.A. 'Bimble-bottom'
    • Dreamweezle Ferret & Small Animal Bedding
Re: which way to groom!???
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 05:00:44 PM »

Baxter won't stand hand stripping... he does go to a groomer every 8 weeks who doesn't clip him (at my request), but keeps him tidy with a coat king and thinning scissors. I do him myself inbetween visits with the same tools.  I am very pleased with the look...
Jo
Owned by Baxter & Dillon living in Warwickshire

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 05:24:01 PM »
I think you should be able to do a very good job with the Coat King and thinning scissors.  Tilly had a very flat, silky coat before she was spayed ( I have heard it referred to as a "non-trim" coat) and was previously hand-stripped.  Even after spaying I am managing to keep her looking respectable with the scissors and CK, so I would imagine your little girl will look gorgeous without having to clip.

Good luck - the advice in the pinned threads of this board is great!

Sue and Tilly

Offline Terri Carpenter

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 06:37:29 PM »
My girls have smooth silky coats and the only thing I use on them is thinning scissors. The advice in the threads on this board are really good.

Good luck and happy snipping

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 05:35:27 PM »
Going to try a coat king to start then maintain by thinning hopefully. Read previous threads and think i need a 20 or 26 blade but also read a 12 or 13 may be best to start with if its really fluffy???  Any advice?

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.