Author Topic: A bit too active ? BARF  (Read 1543 times)

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
A bit too active ? BARF
« on: October 13, 2007, 06:59:34 PM »
Hi
Well we have gradually introduced Charlie to BARF (was on JWB), using the AWP meat mixed with veg and chicken wings etc as the main part of his diet. We have noticed in the last couple of days that he seems a bit more excitable than usual, with a few of his less endearing habits returning.
I wonder if he is having too much protein in his diet, and if so how do I overcome this? I do not want to reduce his portion sizes as he is a skinny thing at the best of times.
Anybody had similar experiences and if so what did you do please?
Claire

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: A bit too active ? BARF
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 07:01:58 PM »
There is a period of "detox'ing" even when you swop over from a premium food like JWB - how long have you been feeding BARF?
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 07:04:29 PM »
About three weeks but we did it slowly, and were giving one meal BARF and one JWB. How long will the detox last Rachel, he has started eating my trousers as we walk again!!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 07:14:28 PM »
I guess it depends - Bonnee has been on BARF for three months, and she's not fully cleansed imo  ph34r

It might be a particular sensitivity that Charlie has; a few weeks ago we discovered that Lamb makes Bonnee totally hyper  ::)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 07:19:00 PM »
OMG 3 months, I hope it does not take Charlie that long i will need therapy. I think I might d what you did and keep a diary. We do still use treats usually those nature menu chicken ones.
Thanks for answering
Claire

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 04:22:15 PM »
I have heard that BARF can give them higher energy levels - something to do with it being more first-hand protein (rather than processed) I think. Bella definitely became perkier on it - can't vouch for Zorro as he's been on it since a pup and is absolutely full of beans 99% of the time  :lol:.

I think sometimes though the new food just seems to make them feel better, less sluggish etc etc - probably similar to if you've been eating processed ready meals for months and suddenly start having really fresh, healthy stuff, you'd feel more energised.  :D
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 04:36:31 PM »
Thanks Claire
That makes total sense.
I have copied your sample menu you posted for somebody else, it has been a great help.