Author Topic: A BARF Diary Part 2. One year on.  (Read 2789 times)

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
A BARF Diary Part 2. One year on.
« on: October 15, 2007, 06:13:44 PM »
As the original post reached 18 pages :o , I thought it would be a sensible idea to start a new thread  :shades: .

For anyone new who hasn't the faintest idea what I am talking about, here is the link
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=22308.0

Barf one year on.
I think I can safely say that Fern is now a fully fledged BARF working cocker.

She still adores her food and I have stuck to more or less the original feeding plan. I add garlic and ginger to her veggies when I whizz them and make it up in huge batches for the freezer (frozen into ice cube trays and then emptied into a carrier bag) that last about 6 weeks.

I buy a couple of large packs of  of chicken wings from the supermarket, freeze them separately and put them into a carrier bag in the freezer too.

She has about 200g of AMP Choice Freeflow mince (beef, chicken, tripe or lamb from the local pet shop) with three cubes of veggies, followed by two chicken wings a day. I add a few pieces of heart or liver once a week or so. Every week to ten days (or if I have run out of mince ::))I substitute the mince for two small(120g)tins of sardines in tomato sauce and a raw egg crushed up and mixed in complete with shell. I am much more relaxed about amounts and no longer weigh anything. If she is feeling a bit bony I increase amount of mince for a few weeks and give her tripe, and if the fat layer over her ribs is getting to the point where I can't feel them without prodding I just reduce the amount of mince until she has lost it again.

For treats she has raw carrots, cabbage/broccoli stalks, melon, apple slices and the occasional few pieces of home made liver cake. All scoffed with enthusiasm  :blink:

I still only feed her once a day (in the evening after her walk) as that seems to suit her. I take her food out the freezer in the morning and it is ready for her in the evening. It is easy peasy.

Well, here she is now aged 8 years and 4 months and in 'play mode' yet again ::). She has oodles of energy but she is definitely more responsive and not hyper (unless you count the wall of death after a bath, or walk when she is wet, -but that's just normal cocker behaviour IMO).

I have taken a couple of videos which I shall post in the video section later, so you can see a) how fit she is and b) how badly I need a proper video camera  :005:
I will post links to them here when I have uploaded them.

Edited to add link  :D
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=35035.0
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline ladylola

• Donator
Re: A BARF Diary Part 2. One year on.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 06:43:29 PM »
Fern looks fantastic, her diet obviously agrees with her. My two are fully fledged Barfers too. They love it.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 07:06:32 PM »
she certainly DOES'NT look her age  :D
she looks great and it was after reading your diary (all 18 pages) and getting my numerous questions answered by Phillyknickers that i decided to go fully BARF last week
so far so good although she threw all her dinner back up last night(OH fault he decided to play with her straight after her dinner) Ive not had  any major problems

the only thing i need to get right are the quantities ,i think she has put weight on since last week
on the last visit to the vet i was told she needed to lose weight  ph34r so thats not good
if shes put weight on and is being fed raw that will give him twice the amount to tut,tut about  >:(

can i just ask happydog how much fern weighs
that would give me some idea if my quantities are anywhere near right  ;)

Offline Sarahs mummy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 08:18:51 PM »
Happydog

Thats so good to get an update. I have decided to take your advice (from previous post) and start Sarah straight onto BARF.  I wonder if its me being paranoid, but Sarah seemed a little quieter today (her 2nd day), is that normal? its just most posts say how more full of energy they find their dogs?, also can you please give me a list of the vegtables you use, only using carrots, broccoli and cauliflower at the minute.  My husband is a little concerned about the diet, he keeps asking me shouldn't Sarah be having any supplements (ie vitamins), and to be honest I'm not sure.  Fern looks so well and you don't mention any.  What would you recommend?

Many Thanks
Karen

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 08:42:31 PM »

the only thing i need to get right are the quantities ,i think she has put weight on since last week

Here is what I used in the beginning, then just adjust according to how the dogs look:

http://raw4dogs.com/calculate.htm

Fern looks great!  :luv:

And I love the hippo!  :lol:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 08:57:25 PM »
Fern's looking fabulous and obviously enjoying her food!  :luv:

I wonder if its me being paranoid, but Sarah seemed a little quieter today (her 2nd day), is that normal? its just most posts say how more full of energy they find their dogs?, also can you please give me a list of the vegtables you use, only using carrots, broccoli and cauliflower at the minute.  My husband is a little concerned about the diet, he keeps asking me shouldn't Sarah be having any supplements (ie vitamins), and to be honest I'm not sure.  Fern looks so well and you don't mention any.  What would you recommend?

When a food contains colourings, additives and/or preservatives it can make the dog hyperactive, that was certainly the case for my lab. So it may be that Sarah is feeling the benefit of cutting them out, or it may be that your over analysing her a bit.......something that I am very guilty of! You might not have noticed Sarah being a bit quieter before but because you've changed her diet to something a bit scary, and most of us found it scary in the beginning, you are watching her like a hawk.

I'd just keep an eye on her over the next few days and see how she goes.

The fruit and veg I whizz up together is: Brocoli, parsnips, tomatoes, red, green and yellow peppers, cauliflower, swede, carrots, apples, pears, celery, spinach, cabbage, pineapple.

I do add supplements, its up to you what you choose to do.  I've added some extra supplements in for dry skin but I started with Dorwest Keepers Mix and Salmon Oil so you could use those if you like.
The key to a successful BARF diet is variety. If you have plenty of variety then she should be getting all the nutrients she needs.  I know BARFers who feel that they don't need to supplement. I, being a worry wart, like to give at least these supplements.

You'll soon start to feel more confident BARF'ing once you get your head round it......you're doing better than I did!  :005:
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 09:05:44 PM »

Here is what I used in the beginning, then just adjust according to how the dogs look:

http://raw4dogs.com/calculate.htm

thanks for that spanielcrazy  :D

and oopps  ph34r  think i might be overfeeding according to that
trouble is i dont own kitchen scales so i have no idea what a chicken wing weighs  ::)

Offline Sarahs mummy

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 09:16:50 PM »
Thanks Craftysam!  :D

Karen

Offline phillyknickers

• Site Member
  • Can we go home yet.....?
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 09:28:17 PM »
Fern is  :luv: and a fantastic advert for BARFing..........

I am so pleased that I changed Harry to BARF - there are far too many benefits for me to list  ::).  All I can add is that if you are wondering whether to try it don't hesitate.......you'll be amazed  :shades:.
Harry the Sprocker - crossbreed I know, but still gorgeous !

"Don't walk in front of me - I may not follow.
 Don't walk behind me - I may not lead.
 Just walk beside me & be my friend." (and STOP PULLING!!)

Albert Camus

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 09:55:03 PM »
so far so good although she threw all her dinner back up last night(OH fault he decided to play with her straight after her dinner)
Oh dear! He won't be doing that again will he?  :005:
on the last visit to the vet i was told she needed to lose weight  ph34r so thats not good
if shes put weight on and is being fed raw that will give him twice the amount to tut,tut about  >:(

can i just ask happydog how much fern weighs
that would give me some idea if my quantities are anywhere near right  ;)

Fern is quite a short working cocker and now weighs about 13.5Kg. She weighed 11.75Kg when I began but tbh she was a bit thin. However she doesn't look fat at all, still has a waist and I can feel her ribs through a thin layer of fat. She has more muscle than she used to, in spite of me thinking she was fit when I began  :-\ and muscle weighs more than fat  :D . She also gets more exercise than she used to.

She went over 14Kg and began to look quite lardy at one stage and I realised I had been slightly overfeeding her. I was thinking her bowl looked so empty and had been tipping in just a little bit extra.  I started to reweigh the food for a while, to get used to what it looked like again. I think if you have a dog of that weight that is not quite as active as Fern then 200g might be too much.

You have to match the amount to your particular dogs' metabolism and you're only going to do that by observation and adjustment for the first few months. You need to get to know your particular dog. The chicken wings I feed her are tiny and I am feeding her 200g absolute tops for mince. I find there is a fair bit of moisture in AMP.  It probably varies between 120 and 200g plus veggies plus wings.

That's the thing to watch with BARF - the portions look so measly compared to processed food portions, but they are only larger because of all the cereal/rice(usually) fillers and they only come straight out the other end. With BARF it's all good useful stuff :D
  I wonder if its me being paranoid, but Sarah seemed a little quieter today (her 2nd day), is that normal?
Yes, I noticed it too with Fern and agree with CraftySams explanation. Fern is so much more laid back at home than she used to be. When out though, she is still faster than the proverbial speeding bullet. The great thing I noticed that came with it is that she listens more. Recall has definitely improved. Although she is not completely cured of selective deafness  ::) .Additive free diet=less hyperactivity and better concentration I guess.

also can you please give me a list of the vegtables you use, only using carrots, broccoli and cauliflower at the minute.  My husband is a little concerned about the diet, he keeps asking me shouldn't Sarah be having any supplements (ie vitamins), and to be honest I'm not sure.  Fern looks so well and you don't mention any.  What would you recommend?
When I make up a batch I ensure that Fern gets a mixture of root and leafy green veggies, with fruit -usually apple. She doesn't like pineapple, tomatoes or bananas. I try to make it colourful  :005:
A typical mix(and this makes a very large pudding basin full) for me would be:
Small swede
Half small cabbage
One  broccoli head
Half small Cauliflower
Three parsnips
Four or five sticks celery
One apple
5 or 6 carrots
Three cloves Garlic
1-2" ginger
No raw potato, apple pips, onion or grapes.

I thought about supplements and decided not to as she is in good health. IMO, if you are feeding a  good quality food with a wide range of fruit, veggies, bone, muscle and organ meats why should they be needed? Vitamin and mineral supplements are only manufactured forms of what is readily available in fresh foods after all, and some of them don't work as well as those which occur naturally in fresh foodstuffs. Variety is the key, so they get a wide a range of vits and mins as poss. It's exactly the same for us humans. If Fern had a health issue though, such as arthritis I would certainly take advice and look at it again. I vaguely remember there being something to watch out for with the fish oils(wrong type building up toxins??? might have got that wrong-can't remember), so do your research thoroughly. Don't assume all human types are suitable for dogs, they're not.
Ah just found it in my old thread  :D
You can overdose Cod liver oil because as well as providing EFA's it is a source of Vitamins A and D both of which are fat soluble and therefore excesses tend to get stored in the body rather than flushed through the system.

trouble is i don't own kitchen scales so i have no idea what a chicken wing weighs  ::)
Ah I do 'cos I weighed them in the first few weeks  ::) :005:  a couple of small ones will weigh approx 150g
happydog

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 10:23:41 PM »
thanks for all that info  :D
its really a great help

and NO he wont be doing that again  ::)

i have to agree about the measly portions but i have resisted the urge to add more
biba at the minute weighs 10.75kg which the vet thinks is FAT (his words) and wants her to go down to 9.5kg which she weighed last time we went when he also called her FAT  :huh:
i did write a thread about my vet and his dislike of cockers  >:(

she has around 200g of mince and a chicken wing or rib split over 2 meals & veggies
she has 2 hours of walks a day so i dont think it down to lack of exercise

will pop her to the vets to use the scales  ;)

i have to say BOY she just loves her mealtimes  :005: was never that interested in mealtimes before and would have to be coaxed to her bowl
now i only have to get the rolling pin out (to bash the wings and not the OH for making her sick  :005:) for her to be leaping and a wailing  ;)
for that alone it is worth it  :D

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 10:49:32 PM »
biba at the minute weighs 10.75kg which the vet thinks is FAT (his words) and wants her to go down to 9.5kg which she weighed last time we went when he also called her FAT  :huh:
I think you're going to have to post a pic so we can all judge. Can you feel her ribs Ok without prodding too much? Does she have a waist when you look straight down at her from above? If the answer is 'yes' then you can safely ignore your vet on that comment I think  ;) Cockers come in all shapes and sizes and weights vary so much.

I promised I would post a link here when I had uploaded the vids from today. So here you are.

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=35035.0
happydog

Offline clarey-doll

• Limited Member
  • my 2 angels Lady and Skye
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 11:08:34 PM »
Lady loves her barf too :luv:

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 12:41:49 AM »

i did write a thread about my vet and his dislike of cockers  >:(

she has around 200g of mince and a chicken wing or rib split over 2 meals & veggies
she has 2 hours of walks a day so i dont think it down to lack of exercise

will pop her to the vets to use the scales  ;)

i have to say BOY she just loves her mealtimes  :005: was never that interested in mealtimes before and would have to be coaxed to her bowl
now i only have to get the rolling pin out (to bash the wings and not the OH for making her sick  :005:) for her to be leaping and a wailing  ;)
for that alone it is worth it  :D

Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)