Author Topic: How did you cope with the hour of madness?  (Read 3409 times)

Offline *kimbo*

• Site Member
How did you cope with the hour of madness?
« on: November 19, 2007, 11:03:15 AM »
Ok, everything is going well with Zara at the moment she has been home with us for over a week and she seems to be settling in well. The only problem is that she has an hour (usually about 7pm when the soaps are on) when she just goes nuts. She launched herself onto the coffee table last night, she nips and rages around like a nutter for ages and doesnt stop. The problem is she just doesnt listen to you and will not calm down. I could put her in her crete or just try and ignore her but not sure if she will see this as a punishment????
What to do I dont know has anyone had any experience with this is young puppies? It doesnt help that she isnt allowd out as she is due to have her second injection on Friday. Roll on that day!!!! >:(

Offline jakesmum

• Site Member
Re: How did you cope with the hour of madness?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 11:06:16 AM »
It's probably not the right thing to do, but if i'm honest i just try to ignore Jake and wait for him to settle down. He doesn't listen to a word I say when he's 'in the zone' so there's no point in me getting stressed about it.

Offline LakesUk

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 11:51:08 AM »
If orrin doesn't settle down in one room, i tend to get up and go into another, like the kitchen and do some washing up. Then try again back in the lounge, to see if she will settle.
Otherwise it's straight in the crate.

Andy.

Offline KateandPolly

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 12:06:03 PM »
We experience this occasionally, the majority of the time she sleeps once 7 o'clock strikes.  :blink:

On the occasions that she is behaving like a nutter we usually get her ball and roll is around the living room to try and tire her out. 

Polly's madness is in the morning, obviously she is excited to see us all and it doesn't help that we all come downstairs at different stages.  Its not so bad when I have the day off but when I'm trying to get my daughters ready for school and myself ready for work its very hard work. 

We have been able to take Polly out this weekend and that has really helped.

I'm sure it'll be better once you can start taking her out.

Kate x

Offline Vino tinto !

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 12:23:05 PM »
Just recently Tilly my 4 month old blue roan has decided to do her "wall of death" as we call it three times a day !! She has decided that the last one will be at 12 o/clock at night GGGggggrrrrrrrr on my bed !!!!! At this rate I will be sleeping in her crate and she can have the damn bed !!!!! >:D  >:D  AND thats after an hours walk in the evning !!!! ph34r   Hubby says its her teeth awwww !!! Teeth My A**E   >:D

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 01:20:50 PM »
Bella's 20 weeks she still has her mad hour in the evening, it used to mean one of us would get nipped, we now leave the room when it starts - she usually stops and follows us.

Offline Bev_M

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 01:21:28 PM »
We have been lucky so far - Hamish doesn't have a mad hour!

Cazzie

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 01:59:45 PM »
Mine are both nearly 2 and still have their mad half hours, its good for them but have to watch they dont damage anything  :005:

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 02:02:38 PM »
Another one here who just lifts their feet moves anything breakable and sits back and laughs at them. They do do it less as they grow up I promise  :lol: :lol:
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline Steelygirl

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 02:40:34 PM »
Oh Teresa don't say that! I love fred's daily dose of madness - no matter what a pants day i have it always makes me giggle! I tend to join in by getting him focused on something constructive, like playing with a toy / fetch/ retrieve, otherwise he'd be bouncing off the settee and causing destruction!  :005:

Offline GailyK81

• Donator
  • My Beautiful boy Shadow
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 03:54:29 PM »
aahh bless my hubby does the same thing when the soaps come on :005:

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 04:00:46 PM »
Fern used to do this when she was younger - I never got to watch the soaps  :005: I used to let her have her 'wall of death' moment then did some clicker training with her and then out to the loo and then she would settle for a little while

Braan is a different dog to what she was like at his age - He just wants to sleep on you come 7pm, so if I'm sat down (very rare at that time of night tho  :'( ) he'll cuddle up and go to sleep and takes no notice of the other two having  a play  :lol:

Offline popsy

• Site Member
  • im so tired
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 04:13:08 PM »
poppy is 15 moths and STILL has her mad hour!!  >:D

once she is in this mood she seems to have selective hearing  :005:  if she gets to the point were she gets really silly i put her lead on and take her for a quick walk round the streets and she settles then for the night, (sometimes  >:()

Offline PennyB

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 04:47:11 PM »
I usually stand well back ::) My two ginger kitteny things have their mad hour as well and I just let them get on with it then pick up the pieces later ::)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 04:50:20 PM »
 :shades: I don't wan't to worry all you puppy owning folks, but at nearly eight and a half years old, Fern still does the wall of death, (only she no longer nips and tends not to jump on furniture  ;) ) .
She invariably charges round all the downstairs rooms, (and garden if the back door is open), at high speed with a toy in her mouth, and has perfected accurate cornering and skillful negotiation of all the furniture in her path.   :lol: She makes growly noises at me as she passes. I pretend to chase her. It's a nightly event just before feeding time, she always makes me laugh and we both love it. I hope she never grows out of it  :luv: .
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories