Author Topic: Front Leg feathering.  (Read 1456 times)

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Front Leg feathering.
« on: January 15, 2004, 11:13:18 PM »
Help ! I really don't know how to approach this area. I've scanned through previous threads but can't see any tips.

I know with a show cocker you wouldn't do much trimming on leg feathering other than tidy up but what about a pet ? Last night I trimmed Jimmy's paws and also the very bottom of his front legs so that the feathering isn't touching the ground. Trouble is he now looks like he's wearing a pair of half-mast bell bottoms when viewed from the front. :roll: What is the best method for trimming the bits that stick out on either side of the front leg ?  Handstripping isn't an option with Jimmy there. Using trimming scissors would I cut from front of leg backwards, horizontal to the ground perhaps ? This is the only place he has really thick feathering, giving him a very unbalanced appearance, the fact he has huge paws just makes him look even stranger now the bottom of the leg feathering has gone. :?                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Front Leg feathering.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2004, 11:51:16 AM »
Colin, have you looked at the second picture that Michele posted on the 'Trimming feet - Pet & Show style' thread?  It shows how the feathering is trimmed at a slant to avoid the bell bottom look.

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/grooming/Tr...how%20Style.htm                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Front Leg feathering.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2004, 12:05:59 PM »
Colin - how I approach this is to hold the leg out straight, forwards from and at a right angle from the shoulder and trim from the foot to the top of the leg with a gently sloping angle. This allows the feathering to hang straight down and helps get a straight finish - for me anyway :D  Put the leg back down to see how it looks, and trim more off if you need to. This way you shouldn't get the "plus fours" look :D

hth and makes sense :D                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Front Leg feathering.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2004, 05:22:10 PM »
Thanks Pammy I will give that a go.  :D  :wink: