Author Topic: Grooming Courses  (Read 1680 times)

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Grooming Courses
« on: January 21, 2004, 04:40:48 PM »
Hi

I was wondering if anybody could recommend a grooming course? I am looking for a change in career at the moment, there seems to be a lot of courses about but I don't really know what I should be looking for.

Thanks

Michelle                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Grooming Courses
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2004, 09:49:28 AM »
It's hard to recommend a grooming course really - anyone can set themselves up as a groomer & offer training courses but it doesn't mean they are any good unfortunately. A good place to start would be the British Dog Groomers Association as I think they can supply a list of approved colleges & can probably advise you further :

British Dog Groomers Association
c/o Pet Care Trust
Bedford Business Centre
170 Mile Road
Bedford
MK42 9TW  
Tel:  01234 273933

E-mail:  info@petcare.org.uk  

There are recognised qualifications in Dog Grooming (City & Guilds certificates, NVQ) but many private Grooming Schools just issue you with their own certificates. You can find ads for them in the back of dog magazines like Dogs Today but these course can be very expensive so be warned :wink:                    
Jane

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Grooming Courses
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 12:25:34 PM »
Thanks Jane,

I will email them today, I have checked out most of the dog press and of course the net..... and there are lots of places offering courses but the costs vary a lot and very few offer NVQ level. I am going to ask my groomer if I can have a day shadowing her just to see if this is something I would enjoy doing.  

Thanks again

Michelle                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Grooming Courses
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004, 01:17:34 PM »
I am going to ask my groomer if I can have a day shadowing her just to see if this is something I would enjoy doing.  

Very good idea Michelle :) Dog grooming can be rewarding but it's physically demanding as you're on your feet most of the time. A lot of dog groomers also suffer from repetitive strain injuries from time to time, as do hairdressers I suppose :wink: Not trying to put you off but you need to know what you're letting yourself in for :lol:                    
Jane

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Grooming Courses
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2004, 01:32:31 PM »
[/quote]

Very good idea Michelle :) Dog grooming can be rewarding but it's physically demanding as you're on your feet most of the time. A lot of dog groomers also suffer from repetitive strain injuries from time to time, as do hairdressers I suppose :wink: Not trying to put you off but you need to know what you're letting yourself in for :lol:[/quote]

Thanks again Jane, yes I am trying to keep my options open at the minute and just see what types of careers there are working with dogs. Quite looking forward to doing something that is both physical and mentally stimulating :lol: . I can't spend another 15 years sat in front of a computer :roll:

Thanks

Michelle