Author Topic: Hand stripping after speying  (Read 1536 times)

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Hand stripping after speying
« on: February 27, 2004, 10:00:21 AM »
This may have already been answered on another thread, but I cannot find it :?   As you know I have been getting Indie handstripped, as I intend to get her speyed after her first season, I wanted to know, will she still be able to get handstripped?  If not is there really any point me carrying on getting her handstripped :?  and also what options do I have apart from the "C" word :roll:  

Sorry for all the questions, but it came to mind after the Lancs Cocker Show when something was mentioned there about handstripping after speying :?

Thanx                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2004, 10:30:10 AM »
Generally hand-stripping isn't possible after neutering although coat changes don't happen immediately so you might be able to continue with handstripping for a few months afterwards but probably no longer than that. If you're lucky, it may be possible to keep Indie looking smart using a Coat King & thinning scissors but often the "C" word is the best option. I groom a lot of neutered Cockers & there are only a few I can do without clipping. I did once persevere with handstripping a bitch we were showing (who had to be spayed as an emergency) and gave up after 6 months - it wasn't fair on her (or me!)                    
Jane

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2004, 10:50:02 AM »
Thank you Jane, ohh decisions decisions, I think I will carry on the handstrippping until can no longer be done, then see if it is possible to use the thinning scissors, I just hope my groomer is willing to do this :?