Author Topic: Cold Water  (Read 2672 times)

Offline brumbie

• Site Member
Cold Water
« on: April 26, 2008, 06:09:29 PM »
I hope this doesn't sound too silly but I need advice. :-\

When Mily needs a bath, is it ok to hose her down in the yard with cold water? :o

She swims in the local river (which must be freezing) but I bath her in warm water!! ::) To be honest, it would be so much easier to hose her down, shampoo, rinse her and then bring her in to dry her. :luv:

Any advice gratefully received!

Offline bracken

• Site Member
Re: Cold Water
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 07:21:57 PM »
I always bath mine in the shower with warm water but I'm soft  :luv:

They love the river too  :luv:

Wouldn't like my babies to get cold  :blink:    I   have been attacked  by my son with the hose it was freezing and painful  :-\

Warm water and conditioner all the way here  :blink:

Jo

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 07:29:11 PM »
We've recently had a new bathroom fitted and Hurley isn't allowed upstairs  ::)

So now he gets hosed down in the garden, he does whimper a bit but he doesnt cry when he goes swimming in the freezing pond so Im sure he's fine.
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 08:11:21 PM »
Apart from the comfort of the dog, I'm not sure that the shampoo would be as effective with cold water??

I've never had the heart to hose mine down...... softeeeeeeeeeee  ::)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 08:26:02 PM »
Mine get a quick rinse with the hose on their legs and bellies after muddy walks and wallowing sessions no matter what time of year it is but generally if they need a full bath I take them into the bathroom and use the shower attachment and warm water although seeing as they break the ice on the reservoir in the winter so they can swim in it I think their hangdog performance when they get hosed outside is a bit of an act  :005:  For special events like yesterday's whale rolling session they get shampooed outside, there was no danger they were getting in the house with decomposed whale goo dripping off them  ph34r :005: 
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Elmo

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 08:33:19 PM »
For a quick rinse off if they are muddy then cold hose would be fine if its a warm day but if its for the purpose of porper cleaning and getting rid of the grime and dirt and grease then it has to be warm water. I wouldnt wash my own hair with cold water so wouldnt do my dog with it either

Offline wend

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 08:35:04 PM »
Mine get hosed down in the garden after walks then straight into their dry bag,  but have a warm bath if they need shampooing.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 08:46:30 PM »
If I am doing proper shampooing, I use warm water but if it is just a rinse after a walk and the weather is not tooooo cold, I often use the hose.  Coco is not to keen on that though - she has been spoiled with the warm shower  ::)  :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 08:55:26 PM »
I hose and shampoo mine outside with cold water - unless it is really cold & windy in the middle of winter.  :-\ 

Neither of them like it much, and it can't be very comfortable for them; but it doesn't do any harm and is no more distressing for them than the alternative; our home layout and room sizes make taking them upstairs and using the bathroom a logistical nightmare  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 09:26:06 PM »
Mine would be horrified :005:
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline ali

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 09:44:15 PM »
barkley has always been washed off outside with cold water. he tolerates it.  :005: i always make sure he can dry off quickly in the warmth indoors afterwards. he swims in far colder water, and then happily pootles about absolutely soaking wet, when he's out on walks.
'my goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks i am'

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 09:56:35 AM »
I think it depends on the dog too.... Jarvis is an "ice breaker" ::) and swims in any weather so i wouldn't hesitate to bath him outside, whereas Rudy  :luv: tiptoes around water, and has only swam once, by accident, when he followed a duck into a pond. :lol2: So i'd probably bath him inside. :-\

(Lucy gets bathed in the sink, 'cos she's a midget. :luv: :005:)
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 11:35:00 AM »
When my girls get that mucky, I filled two watering cans with warm water and wash them off outside, I must be a softee too  :005:

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 12:09:31 PM »

If Honey gets too muddy then it is the hosepipe for her - she is getting used to it.  I did try a tub of warm water, as I felt guilty about the temperature, but she was worse with that, and the water got everywhere - I hate to think what state our house would be in if we tried to bath her!!!!
At least with the hosepipe, it's over quickly, and she gets dried straight off and I always put the fire on so she can snuggle up and get warm quickly!

;)
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 12:20:36 PM »
I use a cold water on hose on all the daycare dogs. Feel a bit mean as they certainly dont enjoy it but all of them will happily jump into freezing cold water on walks so they obviously dont feel the cold like we do! If I had warm water I'd use it but its not an option and neither is sending them home filthy! My own lot get put in the bath after walks as I dont have a tap outside.

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.