Author Topic: Any coats remain good after castration?  (Read 5022 times)

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Re: Any coats remain good after castration?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 11:07:53 PM »
Barkley looks great.  :shades: Because most workers need less trimming it probably means their coats don't change quite so much - it's the different grooming methods you have to employ on hairy show Cockers post-neutering that exaccerbates the problem. I do know two solid liver workers that have the most amazing fluffed up coats though - they are like yetis.  :lol2:

Carol - Jimmy prefers his own bed unless it's really, really cold then he wedges himself behind the crook of your leg and trust me, you wouldn't want him there - he's like a dead weight and impossible to shift.  :lol2:

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 11:26:07 PM »
Lily could do with some GHDs but overall she's pretty smooth.  ;) Legs on the other hand...  :o

Here's Jed, the fluffiest worker I've ever seen.... he got a hair cut soon after this! Very similar to Barkley isnt he....

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2008, 11:35:57 PM »
I don't really want to I'm going to have to have Dave's bits off as he's still only got one ball. The vet was trying 'encouraging' me to book him in today when I was chatting to her but I keep putting it off  :-\ Has anyone got a dog who's coat hasn't been affected?

Hannah xx

Hannah, have you discussed with your vet the option of just having the undescended testicle removed?
They might try and tell you they can't do it but I know it can as one of the dogs I trim had this done and because he's still got the descended one his coat is still lovely.  :shades:

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2008, 06:54:58 AM »
sam was done in march and there's been no coat change yet! sam has a fine short coat (never been trimmed/cut at all) as so far he's looking the same as always. time will tell though :shades:

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2008, 11:37:27 AM »
Jessie is an Orange Roan and her cost has gone wooly and tufty since spaying. She was spayed before her 1st season tho at 6 months - not sure if this makes things different!

Janey

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2008, 06:26:33 PM »
Oh! How exciting to come back to this thread and see lots of lovely pics  :luv: :luv: Colin, Jimmy's coat has done EXACTLY what Trev's did (it was very nice to cuddle up to though Cazzie you're right  :005:) We gave up and used to have him totally clipped as he was really fit and athletic looking so he looked fine (to me anyway!) Here he is just before a shaving... bear in mind that he was never in the slightest bit overweight - that's all fluff  ph34r

Barkley and Lily both look really lovely as they are  :luv:

I don't really want to I'm going to have to have Dave's bits off as he's still only got one ball. The vet was trying 'encouraging' me to book him in today when I was chatting to her but I keep putting it off  :-\ Has anyone got a dog who's coat hasn't been affected?

Hannah xx

Hannah, have you discussed with your vet the option of just having the undescended testicle removed?
They might try and tell you they can't do it but I know it can as one of the dogs I trim had this done and because he's still got the descended one his coat is still lovely.  :shades:

Do you know, other half mentioned that yesterday too (guess it's a boys thing LET HIM KEEP SOME KIND OF MANHOOD!!!!!!) I will talk to her about it as I'm also concerned about him becoming even more laid back than he already is and quite frankly I may as well just swap him for a draft excluder if that happens... (just kidding, but you get my point!) My gut feeling is to leave it until he's 18-24 months old then take a view on it then I think as I'll have a better idea of how he is as a dog then too as long as that's not going to increase any health risks with the hidden ball  ph34r

Hannah xx

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2008, 10:13:08 AM »
Jakey's coat is fine (you may remember from when you saw him) it doesn't go all curly he still has proper feathers but it's just a little heavier.  Meg on the other hand should be re-named Shaun the Sheep  :005:
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline anthony mazzeri

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 08:01:52 PM »
Golds and blacks do seem to fare the worst.

How do gold roans fare? I've heard blue roans fare the best and if golds fare the worst, is it the gold bit or the roan bit which would make the difference in a gold roan?

Offline gashley

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2008, 10:03:05 PM »
Scooby has still managed to be hand stripped and hasn't had a change of coat since being neutered in May ??? I think it was.

So no change here as yet  :D
Gail, Ian, & 4 boys, Jakey and Scooby !!

Offline jennycockerspaniel

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2008, 11:08:29 PM »
Jenny my golden was spayed over a year ago and her coat has changed colour,curly and looks like felt.She doesnt like me to comb her now, she was combed  every day as we live in the country.
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline loppylugs

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2008, 12:09:44 AM »
Over the years i have had two bitches spayed,both at 8 years as they got a pyametra.Both were black/white show dogs,Within 12months they both looked hairy monsters,growing hair from every where,i cried buckets when i clipped all the coats off the first time, :embarassed:but it was the only way i could stop them getting knots all the time.I gave a home to a spayed bitch from my friend.Spayed in the Nov.i got her in the March,by the end of the year her coat had changed from soft/silky to harsh and knotty,so i have to clip her now as well.she is a blue roan.

you havent lived till you,ve owned a cocker