Author Topic: bathtime  (Read 1086 times)

Offline bunny

• Site Member
bathtime
« on: June 24, 2004, 10:48:52 AM »
i have bathed elmo several times now, but my mam came a few days ago and said it was bad for their coats, that you lost the oil, but the trouble is i find if i leave time between bathing, his ears especially, can get a bit "stinky", probably from dipping in his food and water, i use that "crazy dog" berry stuff and it is really good and leaves the coat soft and smells nice for days afterwards, has anyone got any comments on this and also what they use in bathing i would appreciate it, and probably elmo would depending on the outcome, as he doesnt mind the bath itself, but hates getting towell dried, and usually takes out his revenge on it and kills it.(the towell)so he would probably appreciate less bath times.                    

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
bathtime
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 05:15:28 PM »
I'll be interested in the answer too, I always understood that once you start bathing they require them more often. I also thought it stripped oil from the coat.

I do bath Goldie a few times a year, particularly when she has found some fox poo to roll in :shock:
We gave Lottie her first bath a week ago, because I wanted to get her used to them.
I did find that her coat was fluffier and a bit drier afterwards, I wondered if she was a bit young.

Do you use a conditioner?                    

Offline PennyB

bathtime
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 06:23:58 PM »
I tend to hose them down more than bathe them. If any bit is particularly smelly you can always just wash that bit. Fragrance free baby wipes do the job as well if I'm in a hurry. I also use the very berry stuff which is gorgeous.

I also use Boots coconut and almond oil conditioner if I'm giving them a good bath                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
bathtime
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2004, 10:45:23 PM »
his ears especially, can get a bit \"stinky\", probably from dipping in his food and water,

Hi Bunny

I just wondered if you were using a spaniel bowl, it does help the ears from getting so messy with food and water :wink:   I also use baby wipes, to freshen up Indie, inbetween bathes :D                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
bathtime
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2004, 09:59:18 AM »
In days of old, when knights were bold - you get the picture - shampoos were not as sophisticated as they are now, they did strip the oils out from the coat - but nowadays things are much better and you can safely bath your dog as often as you like. Use a good shampoo and conditioner and you'll be fine.

You don't have to use shampoo all the time - a hose/shower down can give a good freshener. My boys often get a blast from the hose pipe if they've been particularly naughty on a walk :wink:  :D  and get a good bath with the full works when they're whiffy.

hth                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional