Author Topic: Chicken Wings  (Read 4979 times)

Offline Jo W

• Site Member
Chicken Wings
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2003, 11:53:57 AM »
Amber becomes quite feral with her chicken wings, a wild little beastie.   Billy, on the other hand, won't even look at one and turns his head to one side when I hold one out....  fussy so and so  :)

I've been meaning to try them on lamb or beef ribs - has anyone else done so?                    

Offline angelad

Chicken Wings
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2003, 04:38:38 PM »
I've been looking for these for Phoebe since seeing this thread sometime ago. Had no luck at the butchers.

I'll try the supermarket next.

By the way - Pigs ears are great. Tried Phoebe on them last week and she loves them. They don't even have chance to become soggy as she wolves them down  

No our butchers don't do them either - or our local Co-op so I have to get mine from Asda which is 27 miles away :( and numpty head here forgot when she was in there last week :-. They are quite good value though only £1.24 for 20 so I normally get them & freeze them.                    
Angela & Cooper

Offline Kat

• Site Member
Chicken Wings
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2003, 08:08:50 PM »
Possibly a dumb question, but what are the benefits of giving them "chicken" bones and not any others.

I feed Bonnie on Bakers which agrees with her, but if I try her on this, I think her toilet training would be put to the test  ;D                    

Offline Jo W

• Site Member
Chicken Wings
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2003, 09:50:08 AM »
From what I can gather, the benefits of giving dogs chicken wings (as opposed to only bones) is because they are chewy and sinewy and, therefore, clean the dog's teeth.  I don't know that they're better than other bones (apart from pork which I've been told is a no-no)...  ???                    

Offline Chub

• Site Member
Chicken Wings
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2003, 03:57:55 PM »
I was wondering about the risk in salmonella? ???                    

Offline jakieboy

• Site Member
Chicken Wings
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2003, 10:23:02 PM »
Bearing in mind that i only started my two on a barf diet 2 and a half weeks ago - so don't know that much - but from what i understand salmonella is not a risk - just think of all the germs a dog could pick up just on their daily walk from trying titbits they find, plus a dog's stomach/bowels etc are better able to cope.

Must say i'm already seeing a marked improvement in both their coats and finn is only 10 wks old but his puppy coat is now gleaming.  Finn loves his chicken wings as soon as he sees the pack he starts whining, ebbie on the other hand wouldn't eat them - they both have one a day, ebbie would just take it to bed, lay on it and guard for all she was worth, however - the last two days - she's actually realised she can eat them  ;D and loves them.

Nikki  xxx                    

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
Chicken Wings
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2003, 08:39:51 AM »
Read the article about chicken wings 2 days ago and thought I would try my two boys on them for their teeth, They LOVED them. At first Alfie didn't have a clue and we had to hold it for him to eat and he took his time, not so with archie crunch, crunch and gone.                    
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang

Offline Tuuli

• Site Member
Chicken Wings
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2004, 07:57:36 PM »
:D Hi All

I gave Bailey - he is 5 months old - his first ever chicken wing yesterday.  First he did not know what to do with it but then started to lick it.  After a few moments he started to chew it.  I was worried that he'll get a bone stuck in his throat and what would I do then?  He managed ok and ate it very quickly.  Did he really have time to chew the bones or did he just swallow them? I do not know but he loved them.

Today he had two wings. My husband got some beef bones from the butcher's for free and gave one to Bailey last week.  The next day Bailey had the runs.  I checked the bones and they had heaps of fat in them!  Maybe it was the fat that upset his tummy.  I have read the book 'Give your dog a bone' and I'm sure that it said that pork bones are very good for dogs.

The trouble is that after chewing a bone Bailey smells like butcher's shop and I have to wash him.  When he eats the chicken wings does he get the salmonella bacteria in his fur and will I get it from there?  :?  I more a less have to disinfect the whole kitchen afterwards.

Bailey & Tuuli
 :?