Author Topic: snatching food.  (Read 903 times)

Offline lorri

• Site Member
snatching food.
« on: July 31, 2004, 12:06:53 AM »
Hi there.

Looking for a bit of help. Jarvis whos 6 months and has a very healthy appetite kepps on scavenging for food. He's always picking up and food he fids ut and about no matter what it is and today at a my grans 80th birthday twice he jumped up and pulled food off the table and then twice he snatched a chicken leg from my dear old grans hand when she wasn't looking.  :oops: After all my boasting about what a well behaved little puppy he was!!!! Yeah right !!

Idont give him any top bits and he's only gets dried food?? Is he bored and looking for variety? or just cheeky and greedy??

Lorraine and Jarvis :evil:                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
snatching food.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 11:03:35 AM »
Is he bored and looking for variety? or just cheeky and greedy??  

Cheeky and greedy!!!!!! I have two like that here :wink:  Vegas once tucked into a cheesecake that was defrosting on the dresser for xmas dinner :evil:  Then at our training party the other week, every time we went to the bin, he would lunge at the buffet table and try and knock the platters off the table - everybody found it very amusing but I was mortified. This is the same dog who later in the evening won an award for being obedient :oops:  :lol:

Dallas on the other hand is just a downright thief. My uncle had a slice of bread sitting next to him on the table whilst he was eating his tea and Dallas nicked it. Couldn't tell him off cos I was in stitches :lol:  :lol:  You also can't leave polos or chewing gum anywhere or he will be off with it.  Thats why when I see people having picnics at the park, i put his lead on straight away or go in the opposite direction :roll:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline PennyB

snatching food.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 11:08:29 AM »
I'd agree with all of that. I can now stop this happening with a firm no but if it involves any fresh meat then I may as well be talking to myself

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
snatching food.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 03:09:25 PM »
I can't stop Jazz with a NO, she hears it as 'Good Girl Do what you like'.

Jazz has been known to jump on the dining room chair and straight onto the table..  So if we forget something at dinner time we have to tuck the chair under...

Even worse than this, the other day i was eating a sandwhich, and just after I had take a bite out of the tasty chicken and sweetcorn i moved my hand away from my mouth, and she had jumped up off the floor and grabbed half of it.

SHe got told off and put out of the room. I wasn't happy.. but  she screams so much when shes removed form the room..

No matter now careful I try to be, I always forget at some stage.

I have found NOTHING that really works... The best thing I now do is give her a chew... (one that lasts a while) whilst we eat..  If she has any left afterwards I distract her and take it off her.. and give her a toy..

Even with this she prefers my food, and alwasy drops he chew at first to try and get ours.. I have tried rubbing Peanut butter on the chew to make it more desirable,, sometimes this works..                    
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline bunny

• Site Member
snatching food.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 04:27:10 PM »
i am no expert, but from when elmo came home, i gave him his dinner, but only after he was made to sit, and i made him wait and told him "take it", this i done with all food treats etc, and now my 4 year old son can leave his plate of food unattended on the floor and he wont touch it, he knows he needs my permission to eat anything, it sounds harsh, but i had to do it still having one youngster, with others visiting. its never to late to try it, this is the same way i taught elmo to sit and stay, taking the food slowly backwards placing it further and further away, and he never takes it unless i say. goodluck :wink: its never to late to try new tricks.
love bunny and elmo                    

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
snatching food.
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2004, 07:36:05 PM »
I taught Goldie to wait and be told 'Take it' before she ate any food.

She is excellent and the kids have been able to sit with food on a plate on the floor and she wont touch it. I did this because my kids were very young when we got her.
An example of how good she is.....my daughter left her easter eggs in a plastic carrier bag on the floor, in the lounge beside the chair she sits in. The choccie eggs were there for a few weeks and Goldie never touched them :D

I am finding Lottie more of a challenge though...she is a much more determined personality.

At training classes we are being taught how to stop dogs taking food without permission and Lottie is getting the idea....so I think we will get there :D