Author Topic: Is there quicker way to strip? ( Threads merged)  (Read 2818 times)

Offline Oliver21508

Is there quicker way to strip? ( Threads merged)
« on: February 01, 2009, 06:17:21 PM »
Trying to strip Ollie's puppy coat out with a comb with elastic band through it. Gets out some hair, but it's too slow. Anyway I could speed up the process?

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Is there quicker way to strip?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 07:40:32 PM »
Do it by hand. Once you get the hang of it, it goes a lot quicker than you'd think  ;)
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 08:10:21 PM »
Do it by hand. Once you get the hang of it, it goes a lot quicker than you'd think  ;)

Exactly!!  Altho don't force it if its not ready....If when you pull the fur doesn't really come out easy or the hair looks like it is breaking then it isn't ready.....guart hairs will curl up when broken
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 09:27:41 PM »
I don't know if he's ready. A bit comes out when I pluck it but not much at all. He's moulting, does that mean anything? Any pics of when a dog is ready to strip?

Offline Tori

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »
Sorry i don't as my computers deleted all my pictures  >:D could you post a picture of what you are getting out.....?
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 09:37:45 PM »
Tomorrow I could. :lol2: And I'll take recent picture of his coat too. But really, I only get out about three hairs at most with every pluck or sometimes nothing at all.

Offline Tori

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 09:39:56 PM »
That'll be helpful going by the pictures on your avatar and tag he looks a fluffy boy.....you should speak to SamJane about her TOby's coat.....it has been a big coat athat took forever to come but look at him now  :D
Tori & Co x

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 12:25:52 PM »
I tried using a rubber glove and finger and thumb technique. It worked quite well. Quite a bit came out very easily. Will do that in 15 minute slots a few times a day. The areas I have to strip are the head, neck, top third of ears, back, front of forelegs and back of hind legs. Is this correct?

Offline mandy n

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 02:24:30 PM »
Hi there, thought i'd show you these pics of my friends cocker that i stripped for her, he is 8 months ish i think and it took me about 5 hours to get this far, i did it in 2 sessions and he was very well behaved for me, the after picture is taken at his first local gundog match at the weekend just gone , i have still got more hair to remove but i'll do that when he has his next show. Hope this helps.

Offline Tori

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 02:26:53 PM »
If i was wearing a hat i would be tipping it to you right now Mandy......beautiful job  :luv: I find that i have blisters on blisters after that big a job but don't you just find it soo satisfying  ;)
Tori & Co x

Offline mandy n

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 02:30:51 PM »
Thankyou , yes you are right i did have very sore fingers! But i love doing puppies its so satisfying when you have finnished and they look so different! So grown up, its quite hard work though but worth it to do it by hand.

Offline Tori

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 02:35:28 PM »
True true.....i can NOT stand it when people cut corners with handstriping  >:(  you can just see the difference so much. 
As much as i love preparing my own for show i do so love preparing other peoples more, esp if they then go on to do well, so very satisfying for me  :D
Tori & Co x

Offline mandy n

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 02:40:55 PM »
You are so right, i know you can get similar results by using a coat king but for a show dog you can not get the same finnish on the coat and i'm sure that a coat king will damage the coat in the long term as it cuts some of it when it pulls through, fine for a pet dog though as i don't think people will pay for the time it takes to handstrip.

Offline Tori

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 02:45:59 PM »
Mandy i so agree  ;)
My 'pet' handstrips i may from time to time use a tool but my show trims are completely by the box .....Altho i would find it really hard to charge for my time what i probably should do...Like you said earlier it can take many hours  ;)
Tori & Co x

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 03:08:58 PM »
Thanks for those pictures mandy. The top picture is exactly like Ollie. I've got a long journey ahead of me. :005: