Author Topic: Is there quicker way to strip? ( Threads merged)  (Read 2819 times)

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
Re: Is there quicker way to strip?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 03:12:11 PM »
Ok yes it will be along journey but you are trying to learn the best way forward, i'm sure you be fine  :D ;)
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline mandy n

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 03:15:43 PM »
You are welcome for the pictures and you will be just fine once you get the hang of it, is there anyone who could show you and get you started?

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 03:25:54 PM »
I haven't got anyone who can show me. Is it a bit like plucking, as that's what I seem to be doing and it seems to be working? Obviously, I can't see a huge difference yet but he's got such a thick coat that it's going to take a while to see any difference, isn't it?

Offline Tori

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 03:27:27 PM »
I haven't got anyone who can show me. Is it a bit like plucking, as that's what I seem to be doing and it seems to be working? Obviously, I can't see a huge difference yet but he's got such a thick coat that it's going to take a while to see any difference, isn't it?

Did you get my PM yesterday with that persons number  :-\....i'm sure she will be able to help you learn
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 06:21:11 PM »

I did, but she's too far away. :(
Did you get my PM yesterday with that persons number  :-\....i'm sure she will be able to help you learn

Offline Tori

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 08:03:41 PM »

I did, but she's too far away. :(

Hmmm let me put my thinking hat on for you  ;)  How far would you be prepared to travel?
Tori & Co x

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2009, 12:12:00 PM »
It's going well. I'm getting loads of hair out of his back, but his head, chin and legs still are not budging so i'll wait for those. :)

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2009, 04:14:01 PM »
It's going well. I'm getting loads of hair out of his back, but his head, chin and legs still are not budging so i'll wait for those. :)

How are you doing Ollie's chin,Thinning Scissors ?

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2009, 04:59:54 PM »
Hand stripping.

Offline Oliver21508

Does this sound normal?
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2009, 04:05:04 PM »
Hiya

I contacted a groomer about Ollie and this is the technique she uses for handstripping. Does it sound right?

I start by carding the coat to take away the loose undercoat and then using a stripping knife and chalk, I work on the coat until I get a natural finish, the throat is clipped and the furnishings are scissored as normal.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Re: Does this sound normal?
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2009, 04:34:38 PM »
For a terrier maybe, but certainly not for a cocker spaniel. Handstripping a cocker is by finger and thumb only.
A terrier's coat is far more wiry and can withstand a stripping knife, the softer coat of a cocker would break.

I know you've been putting a banded comb through Ollie's coat, but if you want to have a go at hand stripping yourself then put on an old pair of rubber gloves (old ones have more grip) and as above take some of the coat between forefinger and thumb and pull, don't be afraid to use a bit of pressure and if any is ready to come out, it will pull, if it isn't, it won't!  :D

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2009, 04:37:20 PM »
I've tried the rubber glove thing. It's working but is it right that I'm supposed to sort of pluck? I don't have to do anything else, just grab hairs and pull? Ollie also has huge matts under his legs and behind his ears, which we are having trouble trying to cut out as it's so close to the skin. We wanted a groomer to do this for us.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2009, 04:53:59 PM »
Then perhaps his coat is not ready to give yet, he's still young and some pups are near to a year old vefore the coat gives.
As far as the mats are concerned, the kindest way to deal with those would be to have them clipped out and let the coat grow again. Provided they haven't spread too far then it shouldn't show anyway.

Offline CJ

• Site Member
Re: Is there quicker way to strip? ( Threads merged)
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2009, 08:57:37 PM »
My sympathies, I'd love to be able to handstrip properly.  Hate to see them clipped.  Alas, I have a problem wrist on top of a lack of knowledge, therefore my girlies are woollier than I'd like.  Puppy is busy knitting knots all night (try saying that after a pint!); puppy coats are so fine!!