Author Topic: We're a bit worried about our pup?!  (Read 788 times)

Offline josiek

• Site Member
We're a bit worried about our pup?!
« on: August 06, 2004, 07:44:01 AM »
Hi, our little blue roan, Bailey is 11 weeks old.  He had his second injection on Monday and was on a worming course from Tuesday to Thursday.  Yesterday we noticed that he'd gotten diarrhoea and that there was a little bit of blood in it.  We rang the vet, who said to put him on a plain diet for a couple of days and to see what happens.  After a day of boiled chicken, it doesn't seem any better.  He's eating and drinking normally (in fact seems to love the chicken) and playing with his little brother (an 8 1/2 week old beagle) as normal.  The vet nurse didn't sound too worried about him, but that doesn't stop us from fretting.  I'd just like to know if anyone has gone through something similar??

Thanks
Josie and Ian                    

Offline Louie

• Limited Member
    • http://www.dreamistcockerspaniels.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 08:33:06 AM »
Hi, your puppy sounds as if he has just got a tummy bug. Perhaps the vacination on top of the worming has been a little much for him. What i would do is with hold his food and only give him water for 12 to 24 hours and then start off by giving him a light meal such as chicken and rice or boiled fish and rice or scrambled egg don,t give him any milk as this could give him diarrhoea. The blood in his motion will probably be from him straining so much as his motions are so loose.                    

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 02:26:17 PM »
Lottie got a tummy upset after her second vaccination, she also had worming tablets at the same time. She was sick a couple of times too.
I just fasted her for a day, to give her tummy a chance to settle.
She was fine by the next day and ate normally.
I assumed that maybe the combination of injection and worming had overloaded her system.
Try stopping feeding and see how he goes.
Keep to bland, easily digested foods....I think that a little plain yoghurt is beneficial.
I hope Bailey is feeling better soon.