Author Topic: A couple of questions about feeding  (Read 1086 times)

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
A couple of questions about feeding
« on: May 06, 2009, 10:13:56 PM »
Dennis is now 5 month old. Is he allowed bones yet ? I know not to feed cooked bones only raw. Also what kind do you feed and where do you get them ? Im presuming local butcher , do they usually charge ?

I am also thinking of changing his feed , hes not on the best food at the moment , and as im learning more i would like to try a better food , i like the sound of JWB puppy , which flavour would be better i think its lamb , fish , turkey or does it not matter?

Thanks

Maria  :D

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Re: A couple of questions about feeding
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 10:28:05 PM »

He is certainly allowed bones!  (As you say, raw, not cooked!)  Honey had her first Chicken Wing at about 12 weeks, and there are plenty of litters weaned straight onto raw.

Chicken Wings are a good one to start on, as the bones are quite young, so easy to chew.... we get ours from the supermarket...

As long as he doesn't have any food intolerances, any flavour of JWB would be fine - we used to buy different flavours each time we bought...  ;) 

Do make sure you leave a good time gap between feeding raw bones and cooked kibble, though - some dogs have no problems, but it can cause tummy upsets!
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 10:35:34 PM »
Karma - thanks for your reply , i will try him on a chicken wing  :D

One more question , do i change to junior at 6 months ? and why ?

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 10:04:56 AM »
This morning i have been reading through some previous posts on JWB junior ,  and it said to miss it out and go from puppy to adult. Would this mean staying on the puppy till 12month the switching to the adult ?

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 06:58:24 PM »
Well i have gone for the JWB puppy , ive ordered the lamb and rice it should be here next week. How slowly do i mix with his current feed ? And also can i switch between the flavours of the same brand or is it best to stick to one?

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 07:05:16 PM »
Hi I am going through this at the moment as Belle came home on Pedigree chum kibble and had a whole months supply, so next week I will be introducing her to Burns, the lady in the pet shop(small family run) said that you have to introduce it gradually like this - Belle is on 150 g at the moment so day 1 it will be 125g ped, 25g burns, day 2 100g ped, 50g burns etc etc. This is what I have been told I am sure if its wrong someone will be along to say so!!! ph34r I am not sure about going onto jr sorry  :luv:
Jo, Belle and Monty