Author Topic: Help  (Read 950 times)

Offline Rhona

• Site Member
Help
« on: September 15, 2004, 01:47:20 PM »
More advice required please!!!

I have had the week from hell with Sam.  The whole family love him to bits but he really likes to test you.  He used to walk along close by you when out for a stroll.  All of a sudden he has become deaf when you shout on him and will follow any other dog and ignore you.  This is very worrying as he was almost knocked down the other day (totally horrific experience).  He now has an extendable lead and I am quite frightened to let him off it.  Up until very recently he walked along very close to you and would stop to chat to other dogs but would always bolt after you if you kept walking.  

Also he has started wetting the floor again during the night.   His last walk is around 11.30 and we are usually up again between 6.30 and 7.00.   Am I expecting too much (he is now 7 months) or are we leaving him too long.   Also be he barking constantlyand mouthing at everyone again..   He really is being a menace.  Any advice?

This sounds like I am being very negative about him and I really am trying hard not to be.  He is very good if you are in the house with him by yourself but when the rest of the family are about you never know what he will get up to next.
Rhona and Sam

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Help
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 02:28:00 PM »
It sounds to me as though he is not getting enough attention. He ought to be able to last during the night without weeing too and I wonder if it is a sort of rebellion?

Without knowing a lot more it is difficult to advise you really - if you want to email me privately then I'll try and help you.

:huh:  
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline PennyB

Help
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004, 02:31:28 PM »
Most definitely a teenager. Wilf's going wild at the moment and has been increasingly like this since he hit 7 months. On that day his recall went but I worked really hard on it retraining and retraining with lots of yummy treats and fun things to come back to, and it came back quickly (now he runs on ahead and then turns round and comes running back again just to make sure I'm coming). I've never had to keep putting him back on the lead for very long (only maybe for 5 min if he's misbehaving with a particular dog or becoming too interested in the now very swollen River Taff).

I'd work on his recall all over again (not just when you want him back on the lead or away from danger, but play recall games and practise all the time).

Wilf's also mouthing again but a firm no often does the trick or just ignoring him if he persists.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Help
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 12:51:38 AM »
Toby has been a bit teenage lately too  :lol: Probably a combination of his age and the puppy. His recall is still quite good but he started wetting at night now and then and chewing.
I do think they go through this phase quite commonly. Do you have a crate and if so is it large enough for him now (if it was only used while he was a pup)? If you do have a crate, it might help to crate him at night as far as toilet training goes.
We've crated Toby for a few nights, it hasn't bothered him much and hopefully he will get the message about toilet training again (I think perhaps the fact that the pup has accidents now and then has affected him...there might be scent from the pup too).

Offline PennyB

Help
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 08:41:40 AM »
I personally wouldn't use an extendable lead (but that's because I hate the things so I'm biased). What about putting a longline on him and teaching him recall all over again with treats and fun and games thrown in and have the security of the longline.

If you look in this section (+puppies) you'll see lots of tips re using longlines and recall stuff.

What about a gundog whistle (Acme 210-1/2). Wear it 1st in the house (round your neck) and just blow quite often and give a treat (even blow when you feed him and then give him the food). This way he gets used to the idea. Whistles have the benefit of being heard over distance (and you don't feel a prat using one with a cocker). Don't wait until he's run off/you need him back on the lead to use them out and about—use it when he's only a few feet away.

He'll also start to sense your nervousness re running off and will play up even more.

Wilf's looniness just goes on (he's now 16 months old) but am on top of most of it (or should I say I know certain things will pass and so I don't let them get to me).

Male teenage cockers are always worse as well for running off.

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Help
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2004, 05:02:35 PM »
I agree with Penny, I have started using a whistle for recall.  Jovi the pup (7mths), is so quick to appear, but Neo (2 yrs) has to finish what he's doing before he returns.  Wish I'd used it earlier, but it is never too late to start.
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)