Author Topic: Food And Toy Agression  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Eddieod

• Site Member
Food And Toy Agression
« on: September 29, 2004, 02:48:39 PM »
Hi there.  I have a little 18 month or so old solid black un castrated male called Canyon.  He is a rehome who I got on Easter Monday this year.  He is a very loving dog but I'm having problems with daily brushing - you can't really go to his paws or ears. He seemes to get fiercely possesive of his food and some toys.  It mainly seems to be around meat based items.  He holds onto them a growls with such ferroscity its quite scarey !! For instance he managed to get hold of my friends dogs roast bone and nobody could get past him - when someone did go past he went for their leg!

When I got him he was really matted - he was in good health but the old owners had a 6 month old baby and I think Canyon lost some attention.  The only toy he had was a rag rope which he loves but is not sure when to stop.

I realise he is still a teenager and that he is obviously is unused to grooming  (he goes to a groomer every 10 weeks but I want to be able to help him more daily) and I inow that alot of dogs are guarding of their food but any tips on anything I've said would be great.   :)  

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Food And Toy Agression
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 05:40:00 PM »
Many possession problems can be worked through.
The first and obvious tip is NOT to attempt to just snatch items from him and turn it into a battle of wills, as he will just feel even more threatened.

It depends on how aggressive he becomes, but for many dogs, the best initial step is to offer them something MUCH more interesting than the toy or bone they already have, eg chicken breast or other meat, and gradually build up to making an exchange. For eg, begin with just offering some tasty meat to him without trying to touch his prized possession, until he starts to realise that other people approaching him while he has his favourite things are not a threat, they are offering great things to him! Eventually you may be able to build up to slowly moving away the toy/bone as you give him the treat, and praising him if he allows you to. Then give the toy back with more treats.

Another tip is not to allow him to have his toys and bones at all times. Keep them to yourself, so they are YOUR toys and you choose when he has them. Bring them out when you choose to.

It's all baby steps though...it would be a big mistake to allow him near children or other animals when he has toys or bones, only bring them out at safe times. Gradually he will learn to associate sharing his things with rewards.

It would of course help to try a behaviourist too  :)  

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
Food And Toy Agression
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 12:30:43 AM »
 ;)
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Food And Toy Agression
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004, 09:34:12 AM »
I agree with much of what has already been said.
Try not to challenge him, if he behaves this way over bones - don't let him have any in the first place.
With his dinner, feed him in a crate or away from everyone, so he doesn't feel he has to guard his dinner.
NEVER take his dinner away from him, thinking this will cure him - it will just make him worse.
Toys etc can be got back through bribery, as already mentioned.
NEVER play tug of war games with him, this is a dominance game & if he wins he scores loads of dominance points (in his mind).
As for grooming, make sure he is up on a surface somewhere & not on the floor, loads of praise & treats should help. You have to make sure you do it every single day until he learns to accept it quietly & happily.
 :)  
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline PennyB

Food And Toy Agression
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2004, 10:48:52 AM »
When I got him he was really matted - he was in good health but the old owners had a 6 month old baby and I think Canyon lost some attention.  The only toy he had was a rag rope which he loves but is not sure when to stop.

When you say 'but is not sure when to stop', does this mean you're also having problems when you play with the rag toy with him. I was always told by my trainer (especially as Ruby is quite a dominant/overconfident dog) to make sure I won this game every time.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Eddieod

• Site Member
Food And Toy Agression
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 02:31:54 PM »
Thanks for all these tips !  He wasn't actually from a rescue home but a couple who were moving back to the USA.  They had a 6 month old baby, so when I got him he must have been about 1.  They had said they didn;t have much time to train him.

Another thing that happens  - last night he was asleep on the sofa and a friend was stroking him - she must have stroked his back quarters as he jumped up and grabbed her - not really biting but scary for her. Do you think this is just nervousness and unfamiliarty with being touched as a pup. Or is he just a bit grumpy and should be left alone to sleep when he is.  I know this may sound like a silly question !

Offline Hel

• Site Member
Food And Toy Agression
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004, 06:08:29 PM »
Another thing that happens  - last night he was asleep on the sofa and a friend was stroking him - she must have stroked his back quarters as he jumped up and grabbed her - not really biting but scary for her.
Is this a usual reaction if stroked on his back quarters?  If so, I would first rule out any physical reason.  He may, for example, have hip problems which are causing him pain when touched.

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Food And Toy Agression
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2004, 10:19:28 PM »
I agree with Hel, there may be an underlying problem there, might be worth a trip to the vet's for an overall health check to rule out anything physical  ;)

One other thing, if he is trying to assert dominance and is a bit "bossy" I would not be allowing him on the couch. I would try to sort out his other issues first, then maybe when he is better trained allow him on the couch only on your terms and not his  ;)  His reaction may have been because he thought your friend was trying to get him off the couch. Get him a bed, if he hasn't already got one and make that his space.

Gilly