Author Topic: which dog lead?  (Read 545 times)

Offline lj66

which dog lead?
« on: September 14, 2009, 05:20:58 PM »
 :D Hi everyone

Just a quick question what kind of dog lead/collars do you use to stop pulling Roxy seems to be taking me for a walk ,a man who has a cocker stopped me and said i need a gun dog lead is this good advice  :huh:

many thanks Lisa

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
Re: which dog lead?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 06:36:40 PM »
No, I personally don't think it was.  :-\  Gun dog leads are usually the slip leads which tighten as they pull, they are for dogs who are already trained to walk nicely on a lead or just to slip on quickly when out in the field.  You need a normal collar and lead or you can use one of the half check collars which are fabric most of the way round with a chain loop, you have to adjust it so that it just tightens without hurting puppies neck, but I personally would just go for the normal collar, it is then a case of teaching her to walk nicely.  I have always done this by walking forward and as soon as she pulls, stop, guide her to your side and when she is back and calm, treat, say heel and continue walking or turn around and go in the opposite direction, it is tedious and tiresome and you really don't get much of a walk for a good few weeks, but it is really worth it in the long run.  ;)

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: which dog lead?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 11:16:54 PM »
I agree with what Annie has said, I use slip leads all the time for my two older dogs as they are both already trained to walk to heel but I have only started putting 7.5 month old Caoimhe in a slip lead in the last week or so. Prior to this I was still training her to walk to heel properly so I used a flat collar and normal lead, a slip lead would have choked her and could really have damaged her neck and throat had I used one when she was pulling. Teaching walking to heel is probably my least favourite training 'thing' with a pup, it is tedious as Annie says because it's just a matter of repetition and consistency and you don't get very far to begin with but if you stick at it it does pay off eventually. There are various (kind!) methods which work so it's a matter of finding the one you prefer and sticking at it for as long as it takes - the main mistake people make is that they try something for a period of time, usually about a week or two, and then decide it doesn't work when really they're just not giving it enough time.

It's taken me about 2 months of daily repetition to get Caoimhe walking reliably to heel but she now does it pretty much perfectly both on and off lead. I did it by first of all using treats to show her where I wanted her to walk and to get the 'heel' command introduced. I then stopped her pulling by taking walking backwards about 5 steps every time the lead tightened, I didn't turn around or yank her back at all, I just stepped back and she would follow me and once she was by my side again I said 'heel' and continued walking forwards. When she was walking nicely I praised her and reinforced the heel command. To begin with we spent more time walking backwards than forwards but we got there in the end and now she's great.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/