Author Topic: Coco  (Read 761 times)

Offline Mini

Coco
« on: September 30, 2009, 03:54:52 PM »
Can anyone out there please help us.  We have a chocolate dog puppy 17 weeks old tomorrow who unfortunately has only one aim in life to bite everyone/thing who comes within range.  If you tell him off he bites even more. It's not just a little nip he really bites more often than not drawing blood.  We are at our wits end with him and really don't know what to do. 
We would welcome any suggests.  Many thanks

Offline LizH

Re: Coco
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 04:09:35 PM »
Sounds like he is being a typical puppy and puppy teeth are sharp  - try this thread

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=64171.0

plus there are loads of threads on the puppy section - you are not alone  ;)
Liz and Pebble x

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 05:05:09 PM »
I know the puppy stage is awful.
It does get better.

Any pics of your little crocodile.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Clover

• Site Member
  • Clover & Amy
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 05:38:46 PM »
Sounds perfectly normal, they can be monsters  >:D  :005:  There are loads of threads on here, and the first post in them sounds pretty much like yours, hang in there, read some of the suggestions.  One thing though, you will come out the other end with a delightful dog, they do grow out of it, mine was pretty bad up until nine months.  Now though, she's beautiful  :luv:

Willow and Katie

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 06:34:36 PM »
Can you tell us what leads up to the biting? Does he growl, does his tail wag, how do you react when he does it? Sorry for the 100 questions, but the more information you can give us about what triggers / how he behaves/how you react will be helpful.

With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 07:02:41 PM »
Have you read this Ian Dunbar thread: http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=64170.0. It's perfectly normal, instead of telling him off, just ignore him and walk away when he starts or give him a time out. Brodie was terrible too, if I had to handle her I used to stuff a toy or chew into her mouth so my fingers would be safe :005:. Make sure he has plenty of chews as well x

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Mini

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 02:53:32 PM »
Can you tell us what leads up to the biting? Does he growl, does his tail wag, how do you react when he does it? Sorry for the 100 questions, but the more information you can give us about what triggers / how he behaves/how you react will be helpful.

Not sure if I'm doing this correctly as I have never done anything like this before.  Nothing leads up to the biting he just see flesh and makes a grab.  I cannot honesstly say I have noticed if he wags his tail or not at point of impact as usually we are in agony and trying to stop the blood!! One of us (my husband) usually shouts OUCH and I usually cringe/cry/scream!!
Thanks for your interest

Offline I love cockers

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 03:35:33 PM »
are you giving him things to chew - my puppy loves her nylabones and will give them a really good chew for 20 - 30 mins at a time some times. Could it also be an attention seeking and he is bored - do you do short training sessions with him every day say a couple of times a day for 5 to 10 mins (getting him to do sit, down, leave,  stay etc?).

Does he bite you when you enter the room or is it when you are already in the room. Is it ankles he is biting when you are moving round or is it when you sit on the floor and he tries to bite your hands / arms?  I would have thought you could say ouch (i would grade the loudness of this with how hard he has bitten you and also leave the room for a few minutes or sit on the sofa and ignore him)