Author Topic: Tia's been saved from drowning. NEW UPDATE: 9/1/10 - Front Page News!  (Read 10941 times)

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
It's one thing after another with Tia and Duggie, Tia's turn today to up my stress levels even further than usual. :-\

We went to a loch near us after I finished work at 1pm, there were loads of swans, geese and ducks congregated on the left hand side as we went in, so we went to the far right of the car park before I let the dogs off, where there wasn't a bird in sight. Duggie immediately did the toilet, and as I am still awaiting the arrival of the stone (now stones, he did it again!) that he swallowed, I was checking through it. I glanced around and Tia wasn't beside us, I looked up and she was in the middle of the ice, running back towards the birds! ph34r

I quickly tried to grab Duggie, who thought it was a game, and begun to dodge me, I finally got him on lead, and raced back across the car park, calling on Tia. A man in a car shouted that she was round the other side of the pillar on the loch, but when I got there she was nowhere in sight - her head then appeared out of the water, where she tried to grab onto the ice, then went under again. She was about 10-12 feet away maybe, and completely surrounded by ice, I just didn't know what to do and shouted for someone to help her. Two men jumped out of their cars, one jumped over the barrier, and the other ran to see if the golf club office was open so he could get a rope. Tia was by now trying to swim towards me, but the ice was in her way, and she kept slipping under. The other man came back without a rope, as the office was shut, but he had a hook thing that he had in his car. They both lay flat on the ground, and stretched in as far as possible, urging Tia to come towards them, the ice was melting, and she managed to push forward bit by bit, until she was close enough for them to hook her. They finally got a good hold of her collar just as she was disappearing under again, and hauled her out.

She was shivering and had a glazed look, one of the men ran back to his car, grabbed a towel and vigourously rubbed her with it, then carried her to my car, put her in the front seat and told me to turn the heaters on full. I drove her home, checked her gums, which were totally white, and phoned the vet, she told me to warm her up gradually and give her something to eat, or some sugar water, keep her quiet and as stress-free as possible. I put her fleece jumper on, the heating on and cuddled her until she heated up a little, then gave her some warm food. She was then walking around wagging her tail, and I was finally able to stop shaking a little and burst into tears. :P

I think, between them, Duggie and Tia are going to give me heart failure, so far Tia has been run over, chased two deer into me (that's another story) and almost drowned, Duggie has been hit by a cylist, been ill with a bad bug, and swallowed stones - and I got these two dogs to help me feel better when I was ill, and after losing Gari. :-\
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline ClareB

• Site Member
Re: Tia's been saved from drowning.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 05:52:25 PM »
Oh my doG, what a nightmare.  Glad that she's OK now though, hope you've had a stiff drink!

Clare, Milo & Mocha

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 05:55:25 PM »
I'm glad she's ok, it was really lovely of those men to help you. I'd put it in the local paper to thank them for their bravery. :luv:
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 05:56:17 PM »
OMG Fiona I am so glad she's alright :o :o :o. This sort of thing is my worst nightmare - What a horrible fright you must have got! I hope you have both recovered now :-*. It's great to hear how complete strangers rushed to save her :luv:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 05:56:56 PM »
What a terrible thing to happen, its so easy though, the other day Hattie dropped her ball on a frozen canal, luckily i managed to call her away before she jumped in after it.  So glad Tia is OK and i hope you are feeling less stressed now.
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline debsallen

• Limited Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 05:57:13 PM »
OMG, fiona what a nightmare, I am not sure how you manage to cope with all the dramas, I think I would have lost the plot by now, so glad she is ok, and what lovely people to help you.

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 05:58:08 PM »
Oh Fiona what a fright you must have had, my heart was in my mouth just reading it :o I am sooo glad that she has recovered and thankful those men were around and willing to help ;) I can sympathise with you on the bird front, when confronted by a few birds Belle loses all sense ::)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline rwasinski

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 05:58:44 PM »
Oh my gosh, I almost burst into tears just reading this, thank GOODNESS those men were there to help you. I would have felt totally helpless in that situation and completely panicked. Thank goodness she is OK.

Rebecca, Blod-ness and Llew-bear!

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 05:58:56 PM »
Can't imagine how you must have felt during all that :( So glad Tia's ok tho!
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 06:00:24 PM »
OMG FIona!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o
Poor you :(
Big hugs needed all round  :luv:
The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 06:01:43 PM »
Oh what a nightmare :o  Thank god the men were there to help you and they got her out safely :luv:  I hope she and you are both feeling better now!
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 06:06:32 PM »
Oh what a nightmare :o  Thank god the men were there to help you and they got her out safely :luv:  I hope she and you are both feeling better now!

Ditto - what a fright!  :o :o

So glad there was someone capable there to help you  :D

What are those two up to planning all these scares for you  ::)
Julie and Watson

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 06:08:04 PM »
 :o  :o  :o

How terrifying....  :o

Thank goodness she is ok!!  Fantastic that people came to the rescue...  :luv:

I'm terrified of Honey doing something like that... she's now got a habit of standing in the edge of the lake in case I throw her ball for her, and as it's all iced at the minute, I have constant visions of her going further out...

Hope your blood pressure has returned to normal!!!

Now, Tia and Duggie, you have got to stop putting your Mum through all this stress....  :shades:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 06:08:43 PM »
How terrifying, don't know how I would have coped with that.  Thank goodness that there was someone else who was able to help you, such brave guys  :angel:

Roly did exactly the same thing this weekend at the COL meetup, except he was close to shore and got himself out - all the same the heart skipped a beat.

You'll need a stiff drink or/and most definitely some comfort food.

So glad that she's recovered.

Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline mcphee

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 06:10:00 PM »
OMG Fiona poor you. I thought I had the nortiest black cocker. What a pair. But whatever angst they may have caused, if I were to say send them to me for a while (even if that were possible!) you would not wish to be without them! Cockers, who'd have them?