Author Topic: after spaying  (Read 1092 times)

Offline xlynnx

• Donator
after spaying
« on: February 20, 2010, 11:25:45 AM »
Hi all

zoe was spayed on Tuesday past and it all went well.  She is mentally back to her usual self  :luv: but physically she looks a bit rough ( big op I know).  She looks a bit like she has been dragged through a hedge. What i wondered was if any COLers have suggestions to help her back on the road to recovery ie do you have any herbal remedies or otherwise that you have given their dogs when the are physically down.  We can have tonics or vitimins etc when we are low but what about dogs. 

Suggestions would be great  :D They shaved her lovely skirt off (hope thats what you call it) so she looks like she has had a seriously bad hair day
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline luckypenny

Re: after spaying
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 12:07:01 PM »
When Penny was spayed I think they hacked her skirt with a machete :005: :005:. I did read that Arnica gel was good for the wound, but we didn't need it. Apart from the first day, she was pretty much her old bouncy self, so hopefully Zoe will be back to normal soon :blink:

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 08:10:32 PM »
Bless her its a big op  :luv:

Is she on any painkillers? My Rosie had a beautiful full skirt but thankfully grew back in about 4 months  :blink:

I never used any tonics but I'm sure someone will be along to help with ideas  :blink:

get well soon Zoe  :luv:

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 08:18:05 PM »
Arnica is great for helping with healing after an op - it reduces bruising too  :D

You can use the gel, cream or tablets  ;)

Otherwise, I am sure she will be back to normal before you know it.  They certainly bounce back quicker than we do  ::) :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 08:18:44 PM »
I would always recommend Homeopathic arnica - ideally before the op for 2 or 3 days and continuing for a few days after the spay but it would still help now  ;)

You can also give rescue remedy if you feel she is restless or stressed, and calendula gel is good for incision pain and to speed healing  :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Saffaroo

• Donator
  • both my girls safely at the bridge xx
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 07:01:52 AM »
I agree - Arnica is wonderful stuff - after an op I've continued for up to a week, and I've had great results with calendula gel on wounds.  :D  this is a big op as you say and it affects individual dogs differently - just like in humans really.  Hope Zoe is feeling better soon  :luv:

Dillon the Cavvie
Saffy dog 22.5.2000 - 4.12.2012
Shelley boo 25.3.2005 - 19.7.2011

Offline xlynnx

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 12:51:58 PM »
thanks guys will have a look today, she is definately on the up, OH says its because they have shaved her that she looks soo rough  :005:
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 08:17:56 PM »
thanks guys will have a look today, she is definately on the up, OH says its because they have shaved her that she looks soo rough  :005:

her shaved skin can be really itchy and uncomfortable so a soothing cream like Calendula would be great for her  :luv:
helen & jarvis x