Author Topic: 8 mth pup on 2 big cups a day?  (Read 899 times)

Offline sophiew

• Donator
8 mth pup on 2 big cups a day?
« on: May 10, 2010, 02:05:44 PM »
Just wanted to check something, really.

Tally was raised on Skinner's Puppy food at her breeder and seemed well on it, so we continued. She has always been a bit on the light side but I'd rather that than fat. She is now 8 months so we moved her on to Skinners adult food, and she's still quite lightweight. She is down to 2 meals a day, which hasn't made any notable difference from being on 3. She eats 2 big cups full (one of those dog food measuring cups you get from Eukanuba etc) a day - which is more than my lab! Is that right?

She's been wormed regularly.

Should I try her on a different food? You can feel her ribs but not see them, which I thought was about right. The volume of food just seems so much for such a small dog!

Thanks

Sophie
x

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: 8 mth pup on 2 big cups a day?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
You have to go by how the dog looks  ;) It sounds like she's just right, being able to feel the ribs but not see them, so that amount is right for her.

However, the thing about volume is that what goes in must come out  :005: and that usually seems to double in volume  ::) You might want to try her on a different food, I don't like that Skinners has wheat as it's first ingredient, and a lot of other grains. You may find that she does just as well and her output is less  :005: 
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline sophiew

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 02:25:36 PM »
Yes, I was wondering that - our other dog is on JWB and I might try her on that. And hopefully - less poop too!  ph34r

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 02:30:38 PM »
Misha was on double rations  (Burns) when she was about that age as she didn't keep weight on - she's more stable now since having a first season and being spayed.  That said looking at her now she is still quite a lean girl - sometimes I think its just how they're built.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 01:10:22 AM »
We give Benson our eight month old working cocker about 340g of JWB a day,any more and he starts leaving some of his food,but no matter how much you try to feed him he doesent get any fatter.You carnt see his ribs but if you run your hands down his sides and back he feels a bit bonny. I weighed him on sunday and he had put 500g in the last two weeks and weighed 12 kilos but I think this is because he has grown a bit not because he has got any fatter.

Hes a very very active bouncy dog and its probably just natures way that hes a slim pup( to protect his joints :dunno: ),anyway looking back at old posts a lot of dogs seam to start to fill out after twelve months.

I haven't seen any recent pics of your Tally but she used to look like Bensons twin sister :luv: :D.