Author Topic: Advice about temperament of Cockers please!  (Read 3035 times)

Offline emily230200

Advice about temperament of Cockers please!
« on: May 12, 2010, 04:09:47 PM »
Hi

We are thinking of getting a working cocker puppy.  I have been reading and researching, possibly too much!!  At home is me, hubby, and 10 year old twins.  I have only had Labradors and Retrievers before, and only ever had dogs.  

My main concern is the mixed messages about so called "aggressive" behaviour.  Every cocker I have met is adorable and friendly, I have read how loyal and loving they are and how eager they are to be part of a family and please their owners yet this is tainted by other sites giving less positive reviews and indicating it is not unusual for them to display aggressive behaviour.

I guess I am hoping for some reassurance.  My head tells me there is no guarentee with any breed and training is vital,  I guess I just want to make the right decision to be able to provide a warm loving enviroment for our pet in the knowledge my children are safe!!

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

(We live in the countryside and there is someone home the majority of the time.)

Offline coralee

• How YOU doin'?
    • Occasionally Obsessed about Nothing
Re: advice please!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 04:18:56 PM »
There will be lots of people who come along in a mo that'll give you their opinion on this - I have known and owned cockers for the past 15 years (both working and show) - I've probably known about 20 really well during this time and I have yet to meet one with random aggressive behaviour.

Of course, there are cases - and this is true of any breed - but I do believe in nurture...there are also, of course, those that have aggressive tendencies in certain situations...going to vets, for example, being bounded on by other dogs...but aggressiveness is not breed specific. Good training, good understanding and knowing your dog should overcome any situation aggressiveness you might come up against.

:D
To err is human, to forgive is canine.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 04:27:00 PM »
The cocker population is HUGE so there are more of them out there ending up in homes that don't handle them properly - hence you hear stories about aggression. They are busy little dogs, workers generally more so than show cockers but both types are pretty energetic and bright so need mental stimulation and exercise... a bored, underexercised cocker can be naughty - like any dog can.

I've had 2 cockers from pup around babies and young children and even the one who was 'Puppy from hell' has grown into a very sweet natured tolerant little chap - I trust him with my 1yr old daughter and he's great fun with my over the top 7 yr old son. The first cocker I had was even sweeter and more gentle - even as a pup. He was a serious livewire but SO gentle with children, I once had to untangle 5x 2 yr olds from him whist he was cornered against a wall and he never batted an eyelid, he know I'd always rescue him so just waited patiently  :005:

Most of the time however ph34r, I'm very careful to teach the children to respect the dogs, treat them kindly and give them their space when eating etc so I've never had a problem - I don't give the dogs high value treats (bones for example) when the kids are around either as that's just asking for trouble with any dog.

If you've had other dogs around your kids, you'll be fine just applying a bit of common sense with a cocker. Make sure you buy a well bred health tested pup from a reputable breeder also ;)

I know of both show types and working type cockers in family homes with young children and I've never heard of a problem - they both love the chaos and busy days of family life and love being included in EVERYTHING :005:

Is there a reason you've decided on a worker rather than show type?

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline emily230200

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 05:09:05 PM »
Thank you for your reply.  I met my friends sister who has a working cocker and she is superb (Errrr...and expecting a litter soon).  I like their sporty look and it sounds as though they are a little easier to groom than the show type??  What makes a good breeder?  what checks should it have (ie always had hip and eye checks, kc reg etc with previous pups)  I know it was mated with a dog owned by a vet, planned not accidental but want to know what other questions to ask.  I have spent time with "mum to be" and can go and see "dad" too. Mum is in a family home with children and  always had a lovely temperament.....would this rub off on her offspring???  Am I being paranoid or was I just born to worry!!  LOL   :005:.

Em 

Offline hanandhen

Re: Advice about temperament of Cockers please!
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 06:12:07 PM »
They do need lots of stimulation - mental as well as physical. Someone on another forum I post on has a working cocker that she got from the vets where she works as it was due to be PTS due to 'aggression' :-\ She has taken it on, trained it to work, and it is now the happiest little dog :lol2: It wasn't aggressive - just bored and frustrated! >:D

Offline jennyspin

• Site Member
  • my gorgeous Boyd & Jitka at Master Groom 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 06:32:43 PM »
Ditto the above. If you take any cocker and leave it to it's own devices for any length of time it may/probably will get slightly bored!! Working or "show" type
Sandlauga cockers
Never assume anything...except an occasional air of intelligence! The Sheriff to Guy of Gisbourne (Richard Carpenter, Robin or Sherwood, Rip 27/02/2012, a writing talent who will be missed).

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 06:40:50 PM »
This thread gives some information on the differences between show and working Cockers - http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=40635.0

Are you wanting to work the dog and are the dam and sire of the litter used as working dogs? A well bred working Cocker should come from good, proven working parents who complement each other in terms of pedigree and personality/working traits; I know it's becoming increasingly common for working Cockers to be kept as pets but personally I don't agree with them being bred purely for the pet market. Health test wise the parents should be Optigen DNA tested for PRA and have current, clear BVA eye certificates as well as a clear gonioscopy result and hip scoring is also desirable.

They do need lots of stimulation - mental as well as physical. Someone on another forum I post on has a working cocker that she got from the vets where she works as it was due to be PTS due to 'aggression' :-\ She has taken it on, trained it to work, and it is now the happiest little dog :lol2: It wasn't aggressive - just bored and frustrated! >:D

This scenario (understimulated, frustrated working Cockers ending up in rescue or even on the pts table) isn't uncommon at all unfortunately. When I took Kooki on foster last year she was 2 days from being pts for aggression when really she was just messed in the head from being in a vastly unsuitable home.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline PennyB

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 06:49:17 PM »
Plus I wouldn't just get a working cocker because they're easier to groom
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline hanandhen

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 06:51:16 PM »
Plus I wouldn't just get a working cocker because they're easier to groom

You can always have a show cocker and clip it! I do ;)

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 08:02:05 PM »

This scenario (understimulated, frustrated working Cockers ending up in rescue or even on the pts table) isn't uncommon at all unfortunately. When I took Kooki on foster last year she was 2 days from being pts for aggression when really she was just messed in the head from being in a vastly unsuitable home.
AS Kookis new mum I can say she hasnt got an aggressive bone in her body, she is a loving,loyal, happy, active lil girl who is a pleasure to own-the only time I ever have any worries with her is when people try to press her to make friends before she is ready-she will growl and bark whilst retreating away from them til she is ready to approach them.  Both my cockers are worker (not worked though purely pets) and although they both have different characters I have no worries about their temperaments.
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline fizzyntiffy

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 08:11:46 PM »
I have two cockers, a show and a worker.  I believe that temperament is shaped by the family & lifestyle dogs are raised in, although all dogs have the traits they were originally bred for and this shows itself in greater or lesser degrees.  Along with the other things, clear boundaries and kind but firm guidance is IMO very important. My show is 6.5 years, my worker is almost 7 months, they both had previous homes.

Good luck with whatever you decide.  :D  

Offline sophiew

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 08:51:14 PM »
As a lab owner, I must admit to finding my working cocker a bit of a shock , despite being used to active gundogs and researching thoroughly. My lab will take any amount of exercise but then be content to rest up- not the cocker! She would be on the go 24 hours a day if she had the chance, doesn't appear to need sleep, wants to be with me all the time, even if I go to the bathroom.... Entirely different type to the labs I've lived with. I love her to bits but sometimes I just want to find the off switch!!

Good luck whatever you decide.

Sophie
x

Offline Chocolatecoco

• My chocolate baby
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 10:08:08 PM »
hi

I have 2 working cockers, they are wonderful dogs however require lots of exercise and lots of attention, as for workers being easier to groom dont be to sure of that, both my girls are groomed every 8 weeks by a professional groomer who knows all the different lengths they have to be clip too. My girls are gorgeous but i do think that you have to be prepared for the cocker attachment that means your never alone again - not to wee or sleep without a cocker being close by. Both of my girls have sweet natures and both love my cats, infact the other day my cat smartie was eating from the same bowl as my cockers.

I am home full time and walk cockers for a good couple of miles daily.

take care
amanda

My coco girly

Offline silly milly

• Donator
  • silly milly
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 10:14:22 PM »
cockers are mad, restless, funny, hard work, constantly following you around.  they never rest, sleep always on the go.  they drive you mad, lick you to death.  they worry about you, always checking you are still there.   they can never have enough exercise...or food!

...and they are worth every exasperating minute

we love `em!!!

:wasntme: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
with lots of love from silly milly and her mum!!!!

Offline emily230200

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 10:35:00 PM »
Thank you so much everyone for your replies.  I don't take decisions in life lightly!!! I feel a bit more positive now.  My parents dog sit for westies, scottie, lab and retriever which my children have grown up with and our neighbours who we spend alot of time with have worked wonders with a rescue dog with major issues.  although none of them cockers, I think we all respect the need for mental stimulation and physical exercise along with good training. 

I do believe we are committed as a family to providing a lovely home for pup and to giving it a great life.   We walk to school and back each day 3 miles across fields and our leisure time is spent walking the coast, canals and countryside.....we just look odd cos we dont have a dog!!!! 

I am going to see "mum"again Monday and I can't wait   :D

Once again thank you for a great active forum.

Em