Author Topic: Something stuck in the throat  (Read 407 times)

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
Something stuck in the throat
« on: May 30, 2010, 07:35:39 PM »
Last night Baja had his two pieices of kibble at bed time and then seemed to be struggling to breath. It seemed he had got one of the bits stuck and couldn't move it. He was desperate to go out and went to chew grass when we let him out. We rubbed his throat but he wouldn't drink which I thought might move it.

Eventually he sorted it out himself, but we were left wondering what should you do?

Thanks in advance  :D

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Something stuck in the throat
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 11:02:55 PM »
I did a Google search and found a few sites that suggest the same actions to take when a dog is choking. This is the link to one of them -

http://www.petdoctors.co.uk/you-and-your-pet/top-pet-care-tips/emergency-first-aid/choking-dog/

I wouldn't feel very confident about doing it though.

It must have been very scarey for you and I'm glad Baja was able to sort himself out. I had something similar happen with my first Cocker once and he really struggled for a couple of minutes before coughing up whatever had got stuck.

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
Re: Something stuck in the throat
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 11:22:47 PM »
Thanks Elaine, weirdly that link is for our vet, should have thought to look on their I guess!

I'm just pleased it happened last night when my OH was here and not away on one of his trips.