Author Topic: Concerned About My Puppy's Eyes  (Read 2713 times)

Offline scooby's mum

• Site Member
  • Scooby & Misty's Mum
Concerned About My Puppy's Eyes
« on: January 06, 2005, 01:38:59 PM »
I have a 5 month old blue roan puppy, who I absolutely adore.  However, I am a bit concerned about his eyes - they are really droopy and redness is always visible at the bottom.  On reading the breed standard I believe that the rims should be tight - and they are definetly not.  Is this a problem that I should be concerned about?  
Love Joanne, Misty & Scooby

Offline Woody's Mum

• Site Member
  • ''The dog is the god of frolic''
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 02:06:15 PM »
Sorry I have no advice, Daisys are exactly the same, hopefully someone will have some info for us     :)  
With Love, Toni & Woody xx

www.myspace.com/tonitee

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 02:08:00 PM »
droopy (Ectropion) eyes did seem to be common in cockers when i was looking for fern - and you are right - they should be tight.

Ectropion eyes are a genetic defect and as such suffers should not be bred from. Depending on their severity they can cause other problems (including proness to infections) OR have very little effect other than their cosmetic appearance.

However cockers do adopt a 'droopy eyed look' when they are tired or want something - are your pups eyes always droopy? Can you post a picture so we can see? Of couse if you are really worried ask your vets opnion next time you are there!
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 02:28:44 PM »
Sasha's eyes were like that and she was constantly having infections so in the end the vet surgically corrected it and she was fine afterwards.
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline scooby's mum

• Site Member
  • Scooby & Misty's Mum
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 02:39:56 PM »
Thanks for your replies.  

Unfortunately Scooby's eyes are always a bit droopy and red but they are worse when he's tired etc. (can't post a picture as haven't yet got a digital camera!) but I have to say, they make him look more endearing!!  

I'm not particularly bothered myself but was just worried whether they would cause him any problems - just have to hope they don't!  He was the last one left of the litter (the people who chose before me obviously knew what to look for) and, stupidly, I didn't ask the breeder about any flaws, but in hindsight I would have still had him anyway cause he's adorable.

Love Joanne, Misty & Scooby

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 02:40:27 PM »
Not all cockers conform to breed standard in every respect so some cockers bascially just normally have droopy eyes.

When Wilf is very tired or sick his droop but generally they're reasonably tight.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 02:40:36 PM »
 :-*
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 03:27:47 PM »
Sometimes if the haws are unpigmented it can make the droopy eyes look worse. Buttons hasn't got droopy eyes but she does have unpigmented haws.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 04:41:07 PM »
Another thing to remember is that when puppies are teething, their eyes will often appear redder & droopier but once teething is over, it will not be so noticeable. As Gilly says, those with unpigmented third eyelids are the ones who will look pinker & droopier at this stage.

Jane
Jane

Sue H

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2005, 07:59:07 PM »
Bramble has quite droopy eyes, but they seem to be much more pronounced when he is tired ... sometimes they are quite normal...

They are such an appealing colour, however, that you sort of fall into them ... not quite hazel but far more 'milk chocolate' than Barley's dark liquid eyes!!

He also has the knack of pinning you down with his gaze - if you stare back, dogs will normally look away, but he doesn't ... we call it his 'Hannibal' look (another 5 seconds and he is going to eat your nose, your lips .....) (all in the name of love, you understand!!!) !!!!