Author Topic: Furminator v Coat King v Spratts Stripping Comb  (Read 5156 times)

Offline Neon

• Donator
Furminator v Coat King v Spratts Stripping Comb
« on: July 14, 2011, 11:13:46 AM »
Hi all,

Firstly just wanted to say "hats off" to all of you who groom your dogs show style.  There's nothing more beautiful than a cocker that has been hand stripped and groomed to perfection.  They are a credit to the breed.

Also, a lot of great advice on here, thank you all.  I can hardly tear myself away from here  :lol2:

My cockers have always had the clipper treatment but now that I have a new puppy, I would like to try and achieve something that resembles a show trim.

I have bought a furminator which pulls out the dead undercoat but I've been reading about the Coat King and Spaniel comb on here.

I would love to know what the difference is between the furminator, coat king and spratts comb - do they all do the same thing?  Also, I've always used double sided thinning scissors but have read a single one is needed.  Does it make much difference to use a single one.

Thanks so much everyone, really looking forward to some answers.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Furminator v Coat King v Spratts Stripping Comb
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 01:11:21 PM »
If you do a forum search, you should find lots of threads re Furminators and Coat Kings etc. I personally don't rate Furminators for Cockers - they're better for double coated breeds like Golden Retrievers, GSDs etc although I think a few people on here like them. Here's a thread from not too long ago to start you off:

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=81352.0

The main differences is that the Spratts comb will strip out puppy coat without cutting the hair (it does need practice though to learn how to hold the comb and use it correctly) - Furminators and Coat Kings are stripping tools containing blades so will cut the hair (which can mean the hair grows back quite wavy and "sticky uppy", especially after prolonged use)
Jane

Offline Neon

• Donator
Re: Furminator v Coat King v Spratts Stripping Comb
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 08:07:31 PM »
Thanks for the link Jane.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv: